Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Delaware
THOR #3746
Dave.... I tend to agree with you.... it would be a l-o-n-g shot if I was allowed to do the work myself. However, after the poor performance experience we've had with our dealer with multiple callbacks, this coach will NOT be going back to a dealer anytime soon for something I might be able to do myself. (If I could restore a 65+ year old surplus Army Jeep back to a first place trophy winner, I should be able to fabricate a bracket to insure that the retractable steps work correctly...) Joe

Old 02-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Joe

Unfortunately in today's society filled with ambulance chasing attorneys and people that need the government to protect them from themselves this is what you get. Heck, if Thor sent the parts to one person who made a mistake in the installation it could be a 100 million federal lawsuit against Thor by the NHTSB and DOJ. Not to mention the possible workers comp claim for smashing their thumb with a hammer while they were acting as an agent of Thor in applying the recall to their own coach.

I could be wrong but I doubt Thor will send the parts to individuals for application. The way it is Thor sent the notification and proposed remedy to owners and if the owner does not take action it is no longer the fault of Thor but the fault of the owner.

You may want to contact Thor and see if they can assist you in finding a dealer to apply the recall.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #23

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Delaware
THOR #3746
Dave,

Very well put and I agree wholeheartedly. I can check close-by Thor dealers along my travel route this next season to see what they might say. That sounds like a viable option!!! As long as I know a step recall was issued, then we can act accordingly while entering/exiting the coach until I get a fix. Thanks for your response....... Joe
Old 02-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #24

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Be aware it took about 2-1/2 weeks for my Thor dealer (CW) to get the
parts from Thor. Install took less than 1 hour.

Thor will not mail parts directly to you if it is a recall or warranty items.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:27 PM   #25
Site Team

THOR #1469
People can say what they want about Thor. Thor announced the step recall in Family Motor Coaching Magazine last month or the month before. After all this time, Entegra, Tiffin, Foretravel and REV Recreation Group (Holiday Rambler, Monaco and Safari Coach) announced the same recall under a different NHTSA numbers. The recalls for these folks just hit the FMCA recall corner. Maybe we Thor owners got the first crack at parts with a one month head start.

Winnebago has a different step issue where theirs may come out while driving thereby striking a person or vehicle.

Other recalls not related to the step include Jayco, Newmar, and Forest River. The Jayco and FR recalls deal with seat belts.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-01-2016, 12:43 AM   #26
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post

Actually Thor will mail warranty parts directly to the owner for installation. It does, however, depend on what is needed and the complexity of the repair. They mailed me my missing bulb seal so I could install it. The would not send me the inner dome for the skylight because they did not want me damaging something by removing the skylight for repair.

When my fire extinguisher was recalled Thor was going to send me a new one but I handled it through Kidde themselves. Easier for me that way because I had 2 household extinguishers that were on the recall list as well.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-01-2016, 12:50 AM   #27
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post

May start taking more than 2 1/2 weeks now that other manufacturers need the same parts from Lippert.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-02-2016, 01:25 AM   #28

Model: 2012 Daybreak 28PD
State: California
THOR #556
I called Thor and asked them to send me to parts for the steps. I told them I was more than qualified to do the the install myself. They said "no" because it was a safety recall. However, Thor has sent me parts needed for warranty repairs. I asked them how long I have to get the steps repaired. They said a safety recall never expires so I'm not going to make a separate trip to my repair shop to deal with this.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #29

State: Virginia
THOR #3395
Looking to buy Jayco greyhawk or possibly redhawk. Appreciate any suggestions re quality and performance. Planning remote camping