Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2021, 10:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #20901
Lippert 'Extreme Angle' Error

Y2018 THOR WINDSPORT 29M
LIPPERT LEVEL SYSTEM

We recently spent two nights in a campground in Floyd Co., Va. The campground was full so we ended up in a pasture setting with no hookups, i.e. boondoggle time !! The pasture area was reasonably level, i.e. more level than my driveway at home. First camping step is LIPPERT AUTOLEVEL. I received an error message, i.e. ‘EXTREME ANGLE’ error. After several RESET’s, nothing worked so I resorted to the MANUAL Lippert setup which worked well.

After two nights, the LIPPERT RETRACT went routinely and we then drove 3 hrs to get home.

Arriving home to park in the driveway, I was wondering what the LIPPERT AUTOLEVEL would do. The AUTOLEVEL worked normally with no problem.

So…has anyone encountered this ‘EXTREME ANGLE’ error ?? What is the solution when it occurs ?? Will parking in a pasture setting (no hard surface) cause it to happen ??

Old 09-22-2021, 10:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Boondocking, not boondoggle. Completely different things.

I suspect the sinking of the jacks in the pasture is what triggered the error in AUTO.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:43 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Boondocking, not boondoggle. Completely different things.

I suspect the sinking of the jacks in the pasture is what triggered the error in AUTO.
There are max angles set in the system's computer hopefully centered between the jacks. Mine is around 2.2 degrees in front/back and 3.5 degrees left/right. If the computer senses angles greater than this, it assumes it cannot extend the jacks sufficiently to level the coach.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM SNYDER View Post
Y2018 THOR WINDSPORT 29M
LIPPERT LEVEL SYSTEM

We recently spent two nights in a campground in Floyd Co., Va. The campground was full so we ended up in a pasture setting with no hookups, i.e. boondoggle time !! The pasture area was reasonably level, i.e. more level than my driveway at home. First camping step is LIPPERT AUTOLEVEL. I received an error message, i.e. ‘EXTREME ANGLE’ error. After several RESET’s, nothing worked so I resorted to the MANUAL Lippert setup which worked well.

After two nights, the LIPPERT RETRACT went routinely and we then drove 3 hrs to get home.

Arriving home to park in the driveway, I was wondering what the LIPPERT AUTOLEVEL would do. The AUTOLEVEL worked normally with no problem.

So…has anyone encountered this ‘EXTREME ANGLE’ error ?? What is the solution when it occurs ?? Will parking in a pasture setting (no hard surface) cause it to happen ??
Chantilly? If so I know the place extremely well and never had an issue.

My current rig will give me an excessive slope error if there is a dip in one side or other of the campground. Normally side to side and not too much front to rear.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:25 PM   #5

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I get that error if I try to auto-level in my driveway. My driveway has enough of a side slope that it can't level it. I drive the left side onto some wooden blocks/ramps I made, which prevents the error. And then I place some blocks under the front left leveler so that it can complete the auto level process.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:08 AM   #6

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
For several reason I use what’s called lvl laminate veneer lumber under the pads on the jacks.
They are very thick and dense won’t break and gives the pad more area on soft ground but mainly after replacing both rear level jacks due to leaking and I was told they failed because they were pushed out to the limit causing them to leak so the lvl keep them from pushing out all the way.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #7

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Found in a Lippart Manual

Excess Slope
The control will not operate at extreme slopes, e.g. 3.5 degrees fore and aft and 3.5 degrees side-to-side.
If the coach indicates “EXCESS ANGLE” or “OUT OF STROKE “ during an auto level cycle, move the coach to a more level spot.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:45 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Excess Slope
The control will not operate at extreme slopes, e.g. 3.5 degrees fore and aft and 3.5 degrees side-to-side.
If the coach indicates “EXCESS ANGLE” or “OUT OF STROKE “ during an auto level cycle, move the coach to a more level spot.
yup

and you can do a monthly re-calibrate to the system. i find it looses its "stuff" like windows 10 does