Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2020, 10:20 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12281
Leveling Jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
if you leave them retracted, its all good

if you want to wipe the shafts down once extended. apply some of the ATF fluid used in the resivior and wipe down the struts LIGHTLY
I have been wiping them down with lithium dry lube which tends not to pick up dust. But perhaps using the hydraulic fluid might be more compatible. However, the hydraulic fluid might cause the shafts to pick up dust if they are not retracted immediately after wipe-down. So I would not wipe them until you are ready to retract.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:31 PM   #22

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I have been wiping them down with lithium dry lube which tends not to pick up dust. But perhaps using the hydraulic fluid might be more compatible. However, the hydraulic fluid might cause the shafts to pick up dust if they are not retracted immediately after wipe-down. So I would not wipe them until you are ready to retract.

yes you need to wipe them down, wait a minute and remove any excess. i usually wipe the seal area to remove any road dirt grit

if we are at the beach area i coat them and then wipe clean right before we retract them
Old 01-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #23

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Owners manual for my power gear system says to replace the hydraulic fluid every three years. I used a siphon to drain the tank while the jacks were up and used synthetic Dexron. Obviously didn’t get every last drop but that’s what I did. The old fluid was not much discolored or cloudy so I don’t know how critical this service is. But it was easy and cheap so I did it.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #24

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
[QUOTE=Choxnpinz;217863
I want to know what I can use to lubricate the jacks that won't ruin the seals. I've read that WD-40 will eat up the rubber seals, so that's out. Silicone maybe? Is that ok for the shaft? Any constructive thoughts are appreciated.[/QUOTE]

nothing... over 5 years and 100,000 miles, and no issues... that's 'thousands' of runs with no problems.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, jack, lube