Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2020, 10:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Delaware
THOR #13591
Lippert hydraulic jack lube?

Tried looking for answers in the forums but didn't find any, so please forgive me if you've seen this before.

I live in the Northeast. The rig is winterized and I usually go out and run the engine and generator for 20 minutes every other week during the winter, just to keep the fluids moving and batteries charged.

I've seen the debates over whether to leave the jacks up or down, and I've decided to leave them up (it's on relatively level ground) and I cycle the jacks when I run the unit. I want to know what I can use to lubricate the jacks that won't ruin the seals. I've read that WD-40 will eat up the rubber seals, so that's out. Silicone maybe? Is that ok for the shaft? Any constructive thoughts are appreciated.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:47 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Once the jack's shafts are retracted, they are immersed in oil, the seal holds the hydraulic fluid (oil) from leaking out, and there is fluid between the seal and the piston on the rod shaft.

So long as they are fully up, no need to worry about the shafts getting corroded. It's when you leave them extended for long periods of time and weather conditions they get exposed to. Like extended weeks on end, windy rain washing them off, etc.

Cycling them assures you they are still working properly.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:51 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Delaware
THOR #13591
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
<SNIP>Cycling them assures you they are still working properly.

Perfect, thank you. I'll leave them up for the winter and just cycle them as you mentioned.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:53 AM   #4

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
IMHO, if putting a set on the springs (I highly doubt), or developing flat spots on the tires were my concern during long storage periods. I would jack it up and place extra heavy duty jack stands under the frame upon a large spreader pad, or on a cement pad to hold it up, and keep the jacks retracted.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:40 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I'd be more concerned about running the engine and generator for only 20 minutes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
I live in the Northeast as well I leave my jacks up however before I put the jacks up Lippert says to use silicone spray to lubricate the shafts. That’s what I do. I spray them every few weeks if I have them extended as it keeps them from rust and contaminants. I’ve had no issues. I don’t cycle my jacks when I run the coach and generator but when spring arrives and I de-winterize I extend them.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:13 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I'd be more concerned about running the engine and generator for only 20 minutes.

Me too. FWIW I try to pick a niceish day about once a month and take my coach for a 25 mile drive with the generator running a space heater. Typically I’ll putter around in the coach for another 45 minutes or so with the generator running after I get parked again. Not only circulates engine oil it also moves the brakes, differential, wheel bearings etc. and helps avoid flat spots on the tires. Plus it’s fun to drive!
Old 01-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #8

THOR #8180
Running for 20 min for us is convenient as well. Tough to take it out in snow and ice covered roads here in the Northeast not to mention dangerous. And living in such a densely populated area there are way too many a-hole drivers that are reckless on snowy and icy roads.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #9

THOR #12830
Taunton has its moments but its not “snow country”. Most seasons of late has been hardly any snow in SE Mass. i dont find it a big deal.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:35 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #6911
Lippert hydraulic jack lube?

Just a note on the exercising of generators, folks. Cummins recommends running at least 2 hours once every four weeks at 50% load. Long periods are healthier for the units than shorter periods. Here’s the excerpt (pic) from the Cummins website.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	22069
Old 01-05-2020, 04:43 AM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikVT View Post
Just a note on the exercising of generators, folks. Cummins recommends running at least 2 hours once every four weeks at 50% load. Long periods are healthier for the units than shorter periods. Here’s the excerpt (pic) from the Cummins website.
Attachment 22069
The reasoning also applies to the V10 (except for driving moisture from the windings); that's why I made my comment about the OP's "20 minutes". The worst thing you can do for a vehicle engine, especially in cold climates, is repeatedly run it for short periods of time. It is better not to run it at all.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:46 AM   #12

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
THOR #14761
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choxnpinz View Post
Tried looking for answers in the forums but didn't find any, so please forgive me if you've seen this before.

I live in the Northeast. The rig is winterized and I usually go out and run the engine and generator for 20 minutes every other week during the winter, just to keep the fluids moving and batteries charged.

I've seen the debates over whether to leave the jacks up or down, and I've decided to leave them up (it's on relatively level ground) and I cycle the jacks when I run the unit. I want to know what I can use to lubricate the jacks that won't ruin the seals. I've read that WD-40 will eat up the rubber seals, so that's out. Silicone maybe? Is that ok for the shaft? Any constructive thoughts are appreciated.
I can see that this topic is well addressed, I leave my jacks down when storing to take some of the stress off the suspension and tires. I also Spray a High quality silicone on all four cylinders of the jack every couple of weeks and I use a rubber glove to rub it in. we live by the ocean and need to be careful. I agree with driving the vehicle once a month a couple of miles to get everything moving. Good luck
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:09 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #6911
Glad to see this post. We’ll be in our coach down at Camp Gulf, Destin, Florida, for 4 months next winter. I wasn’t sure what to do being that the jacks will be extended that whole time, and we’ll be close to the beach. Sounds like treating the shafts with silicone periodically, and cycling them, is the answer.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:58 PM   #14

THOR #8180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Taunton has its moments but its not “snow country”. Most seasons of late has been hardly any snow in SE Mass. i dont find it a big deal.

Taunton is nothing compared to my property in the Adirondacks in NY. That’s snow country with about 14-16ft a year.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:29 PM   #15

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
Taunton is nothing compared to my property in the Adirondacks in NY. That’s snow country with about 14-16ft a year.
Indeed
Old 01-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Running an engine at idle periodically, particularly in the cold air is not good. The fuel mixture characteristics and the creation of moisture in the crankcase will do more harm than good. Driving the vehicle for twenty miles now and again is a better choice, but not practical in the snow belt for various reasons. Do not start the engine, Either leave the batteries on a maintainer(s) or charge them once in a while.

I don't believe that leaving the weight of an RV on its tires will damage or over stress anything.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #17

THOR #12281
Lubricating Leveling Jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choxnpinz View Post

I have always left my leveling jacks up during storage so as not to expose the shafts to humid air and dust for long periods. However, after camping for days or weeks, I usually wipe them down with a little lithium dry lube sprayed on a hand cloth. It's a little bit of a pain to reach under the RV but I figure it's good to get any accumulated dust off and to slick up the shaft surfaces before dragging them back up through their seals when I retract them. Hopefully a slight film of lithium dry lube is not bad for the seals.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #18

State: California
THOR #6598
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Once the jack's shafts are retracted, they are immersed in oil, the seal holds the hydraulic fluid (oil) from leaking out, and there is fluid between the seal and the piston on the rod shaft.

So long as they are fully up, no need to worry about the shafts getting corroded. It's when you leave them extended for long periods of time and weather conditions they get exposed to. Like extended weeks on end, windy rain washing them off, etc.

Cycling them assures you they are still working properly.
So is there any ongoing maintenance to the Jack's shafts? As long as the seals are holding the oil, you don't have to worry about any preventive maintenance?
Old 01-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #19

THOR #12281
Leveling Jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Kieffer View Post
So is there any ongoing maintenance to the Jack's shafts? As long as the seals are holding the oil, you don't have to worry about any preventive maintenance?
I have not research whether other maintenance of the system is advisable other than making sure the oil level in the reservoir is adequate. I suppose after a number of years it might be good to have an expert examine the pump and lines for wear and tear.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:59 PM   #20

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
if you leave them retracted, its all good

if you want to wipe the shafts down once extended. apply some of the ATF fluid used in the resivior and wipe down the struts LIGHTLY

Tags
hydraulic, jack, lube