Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2022, 12:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Lippert Hydraulic Jacks

I have a 2017 37.1 Miramar. My question is it has two orange hoses coming off the hydraulic jack pump. One goes to the front of the vehicle and one goes 30+ feet to the back. Is this the return line, or for raising the jacks.
Newbe question

Thanks

Old 09-29-2022, 12:49 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Jacks always operate in pairs

The valves open or close based on selection, raise or lower

Same line flows hydraulic fluid both directions based on which direction cylinder is moving

So your return line is also the supply line
Old 09-29-2022, 12:56 PM   #3

THOR #22927
Thanks. I have the four hydraulic lines for each jack coming off the pump. What are the orange hoses coming off the pump, next to the four hoses?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2022, 01:51 PM   #4

THOR #9178
Not familiar with Miramar, however, do you have hydraulic slides?

Many Lippert systems had orange return lines
Old 09-29-2022, 02:32 PM   #5

THOR #22927
No. I have the electrical slide small motors.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:43 PM   #6

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grampa View Post
No. I have the electrical slide small motors.
What color are your hydraulic lift (bottom connection) on the cylinders? Some of the Lippert systems use common cylinder raise (cylinder, not coach) lines, so you could have one front and one rear. If yours are orange then most likely the case. Which means they are pressurized when lifting the jacks and fluid flows back to the reservoir via the orange lines when extending the jacks raising the coach. They are typically called return lines even though they provide pressure and flow to store the cylinders

I have hydraulic slides so quite a few more lines in the hydraulic unit
Old 09-29-2022, 02:55 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Thanks. I have the four hydraulic lines for each jack coming off the pump. What are the orange hoses coming off the pump, next to the four hoses?

Thanks
Before CV-19, the high pressure lines to raise the coach were orange and the low pressure return lines were blue, now it appears all may be orange. Although the system raises the coach in pairs it lowers all jacks together, therefore there are only two return lines for the coach. The return lines are joined in pairs at the front and rear of the coach.

The way the systems works in auto follows:
The computer located in the center of the coach above the drive shaft, senses an out of level situation and computes leveling sequence. The computer starts with the greatest tilt. Although the system works with pairs of rams when lifting, it grounds each jack separately. Grounding is necessary, so that the coach is lifted squarely. After the first two jacks are grounded, the computer direct oil into the tops of both rams at the same pressure until the computer senses the coach is level in that cardinal direction.

Hopefully only one more jack needs to the grounded to complete the leveling. After that jack is grounded that pair of jacks (one is from the previous lift sequence) pressurized to level the coach. To stabilize the coach the fourth jack is grounded and the computer waits for 10 to 15 seconds to check the coach level, as a jack may have settled into the soil or gravel. If the coach is out of level and can be correct by continuing to level using the the previously used jacks the computer will raise or lower the rams as needed. If the fourth jack is involved the coach must be raised.

This sequence uses the minimum amount of movements. If the coach is parked racked, that is one wheel very high or low when compared to the others this will require to additional jerky movements to square and level the coach. There can be up or down depending on the computers calculations. Fluid in the bottom of the ram (below the seal) is returned to the tank through the two return lines and is not under pressure.

The retraction sequence is entirely different. The four lifting valves are opened allowing the coach to settle onto the springs. The fluid is returned to the tank by the high pressure lines, but it is not under pressure. The pump pressures the two return lines that go to the bottom of the rams forcing the ramps into the up position. When the pressure in the return lines reaches 1,500 psi, the pump stops and the computer assumes all jacks are up. Should the return line pressure drop to 1,300 psi the pump will start to pressurize the return, and turn on the warning tone and indicate there is a jack error.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:06 PM   #8

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Before CV-19, the high pressure lines to raise the coach were orange and the low pressure return lines were blue, now it appears all may be orange. Although the system raises the coach in pairs it lowers all jacks together, therefore there are only two return lines for the coach. The return lines are joined in pairs at the front and rear of the coach.

The way the systems works in auto follows:
The computer located in the center of the coach above the drive shaft, senses an out of level situation and computes leveling sequence. The computer starts with the greatest tilt. Although the system works with pairs of rams when lifting, it grounds each jack separately. Grounding is necessary, so that the coach is lifted squarely. After the first two jacks are grounded, the computer direct oil into the tops of both rams at the same pressure until the computer senses the coach is level in that cardinal direction.

Hopefully only one more jack needs to the grounded to complete the leveling. After that jack is grounded that pair of jacks (one is from the previous lift sequence) pressurized to level the coach. To stabilize the coach the fourth jack is grounded and the computer waits for 10 to 15 seconds to check the coach level, as a jack may have settled into the soil or gravel. If the coach is out of level and can be correct by continuing to level using the the previously used jacks the computer will raise or lower the rams as needed. If the fourth jack is involved the coach must be raised.

This sequence uses the minimum amount of movements. If the coach is parked racked, that is one wheel very high or low when compared to the others this will require to additional jerky movements to square and level the coach. There can be up or down depending on the computers calculations. Fluid in the bottom of the ram (below the seal) is returned to the tank through the two return lines and is not under pressure.

The retraction sequence is entirely different. The four lifting valves are opened allowing the coach to settle onto the springs. The fluid is returned to the tank by the high pressure lines, but it is not under pressure. The pump pressures the two return lines that go to the bottom of the rams forcing the ramps into the up position. When the pressure in the return lines reaches 1,500 psi, the pump stops and the computer assumes all jacks are up. Should the return line pressure drop to 1,300 psi the pump will start to pressurize the return, and turn on the warning tone and indicate there is a jack error.
Great overview Beau, my return lines are orange from the leveling rams

The lines are the same as far as psig (black and orange) rating as far as I can tell

Over the years with other systems and my Current Ultra Level, i have found fork oil to be the best additive for the hydraulic tank, usually one bottle does it
Old 09-29-2022, 03:39 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Great overview Beau, my return lines are orange from the leveling rams

The lines are the same as far as psig (black and orange) rating as far as I can tell

Over the years with other systems and my Current Ultra Level, i have found fork oil to be the best additive for the hydraulic tank, usually one bottle does it
Agree the fork is a necessity, especially if you are using auto level in rough gravel.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:02 AM   #10

THOR #9178
Photo of my Lippert hydraulic unitClick image for larger version

Name:	20220930_150631.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	39624

All return lines in front
Old 10-01-2022, 07:35 PM   #11

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
Quote:
I have a 2017 37.1 Miramar. My question is it has two orange hoses coming off the hydraulic jack pump. One goes to the front of the vehicle and one goes 30+ feet to the back. Is this the return line, or for raising the jacks.
Newbe question

Thanks
If your unit is like mine they are return lines. The Lippert manual for your pump does have a color coded diagram that shows where each line goes.