Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2021, 01:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #24241
Lippert levelers on Thor challenger

I just purchased a new 2021 Thor Motor Coach. I have not driven it off the lot because of several problems. The major issue which cannot be fixed or repaired is the leveling system made by Lippert Levelers continue to make loud hollowing sound when the jacks are retracted. We have replaced the controller, the motor and pump as will as the jacks. Still the noise does continues. It sounds like air in the lines but the manufacturer believes this is not the problem since the pump has been replaced.

Has anyone had this issue.

THANK YOU.

Old 07-20-2021, 02:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
What does Lippert say?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:46 AM   #3

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Greetings and Welcome

Sorry about your problems, at least you haven't left the lot.
When you do the next appointment they have will be mid Sept and they'll keep it a minimum of 2 weeks

If you can figure out a way to diplomatically ask them if they've checked the manifold valves to make sure they are all properly seated.

Here's a link to lippert where you can download the manual for your system.

https://support.lci1.com/documentation/

Good luck and keep us updated
Old 07-20-2021, 03:28 AM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #24241
Lippard levelers

Lippard said they don’t know why the noise upon retraction continues.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Did your dealer replace the entire pump assembly (including new motor, maniford and pressure switch)?

There is a pressure switch on top of the manifold (see the picture below), that measures the pressure when retracting the jacks. When the pressure reaches a certain level once the jacks are fully retracted, the sensor switches off the pump and the "jacks retracted" message will be displayed.

If the pressure switch is bad (they do fail), the pump motor will continue to run...... even after the jacks are fully retracted. You will continue to hear the pump running and trying to build up pressure to keep the jacks in place. This can be the "howloing" you are hearing. Eventually, the 100A Bussman breaker can trip if the motor runs too long and starts drawing too much current. Then you would get a low voltage error message of the breaker were to trip.

If the dealer did not install a new pressure switch and / or check that wiring, it could be the source of your problem.

I had a pressure switch fail on my old Outlaw 29H. I got one on Amazon for $100 and it solved my problem with the pump continuing to run after the jacks are retracted.

FWIW...... I would not have signed the paperwork to purchase the coach until this issue (and any others uncovered during my own PDI) were fixed to my satisfaction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 6.58.26 AM.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	32146  
Old 07-20-2021, 03:12 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddevil View Post
I just purchased a new 2021 Thor Motor Coach. I have not driven it off the lot because of several problems. The major issue which cannot be fixed or repaired is the leveling system made by Lippert Levelers continue to make loud hollowing sound when the jacks are retracted. We have replaced the controller, the motor and pump as will as the jacks. Still the noise does continues. It sounds like air in the lines but the manufacturer believes this is not the problem since the pump has been replaced.

Has anyone had this issue.

THANK YOU.
My jacks made a loud screeching noise when first retracting when there was still a load on the jacks. I assume it was the pressure seals binding on the jack shaft. LCI recommend replacing some of hydraulic oil with motorcycle fork oil. That helped some but the jacks still screech when first retracting and soon as the load is off the jack,s it makes no noise while continuing to retract. I now assume the screech is the high pressure going through the hydraulic fluid's return valve causing it to vibrate.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
This is what LCI recommends to add to the hydraulic fluid to help eliminate the noise people sometime hear when the jacks are retracting. I did add some to my Magnitude 18 month ago and it did help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I'm took the OP's post to mean he is hearing a noise after the jacks had been retracted. Hopefully he can confirm he is hearing the noise while they are retracting or after they are retracted.