Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2019, 09:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Ford dealers

I have been hearing of people going to the Ford dealerships and being turned away because they will not work on motorhomes . I recently heard of a gentleman down in Florida Triton V10 could not find a Ford dealership that would work on it. It's my understanding he had it towed to a commercial Ford truck dealer and they even turned him away. So if we're on the road with a Ford Triton V10 and we have engine trouble what do we do? I would like to know before I sell mine as this seems unacceptable. If Ford doesn't want to work on them then don't sell them to the R.V. industry. I really like my motorhome but eventually something is going to happen. I'm talkin Class A.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Why Ford if you're out of warranty?
Have you tried an independent?
I feel I might be right when I say the chances of actually needing a Ford dealer are pretty slim.
Despite what you've heard or the disgruntlements you've read, have you called your Ford dealer or better yet, done a drive by?

Which independant shops have you tried and not to discount the Florida guy, but did you try the Ford place that is closer to you than the one who turned him away?

A LOT of dealer trips have a LOT to do with the MotorHome owners attitude.
So, therefore, I'm going to deem most of the one sided stories you've heard are... One sided stories.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying 'some people say' might not be a good reason to sell a vehicle based on what if.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I don’t see any indication about being out of warranty.

There is a difference between Ford Commercial Truck and Ford Heavy Truck. In my area the commercial truck center deals in 450 and below. They don’t have the ability to work on Motorhomes. On the other hand the heavy truck center has no problems working on Motor homes of any size to include doing alignments.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Doesn't Ford have a 1-800 number that you can call to find the nearest Ford authorized repair center for your Ford chassis coach? Why yes, I believe they do.

Ford and Mercury United States
(800) 392-3673

They even have a roadside assistance number:

Ford and Mercury Roadside Assistance
(800) 241-3673

And possibly even a website:

https://fordcommercialvehiclecenter.com/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Doesn't Ford have a 1-800 number that you can call to find the nearest Ford authorized repair center for your Ford chassis coach? Why yes, I believe they do.

(800) 392-3673

(800) 241-3673

Since I no longer have a Ford I got rid of the number. Ford has a dedicated motor home roadside assistance number. I got it from the regular roadside assistance number.

Also Ford Commercial has a service locator function. I entered a zip and it came back with 10 service centers in a 25 mile radius.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:15 PM   #6

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

(800) 392-3673

(800) 241-3673

I just got through calling the number you gave me and they gave me several dealerships that I could check with. All of them said they do not have a lift to work on them not. Even the class C's now this is the area where I live maybe different where you live
Old 12-06-2019, 10:16 PM   #7

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Since I no longer have a Ford I got rid of the number. Ford has a dedicated motor home roadside assistance number. I got it from the regular roadside assistance number.

Also Ford Commercial has a service locator function. I entered a zip and it came back with 10 service centers in a 25 mile radius.
This why I'm a bit befuddled by the question of the op.
Towing or phone number and directions to the nearest dealer with the facility is a phone call away.

He's considering selling his MotorHome, but his reasoning is hard for me to grasp.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:24 PM   #8

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Why Ford if you're out of warranty?
Have you tried an independent?
I feel I might be right when I say the chances of actually needing a Ford dealer are pretty slim.
Despite what you've heard or the disgruntlements you've read, have you called your Ford dealer or better yet, done a drive by?

Which independant shops have you tried and not to discount the Florida guy, but did you try the Ford place that is closer to you than the one who turned him away?

A LOT of dealer trips have a LOT to do with the MotorHome owners attitude.
So, therefore, I'm going to deem most of the one sided stories you've heard are... One sided stories.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying 'some people say' might not be a good reason to sell a vehicle based on what if.
I used to work on heavy equipment and I got a friend still does that type of work. I have a hookup at home I'm just worried about on the road. I called the Ford commercial truck number and ask for a dealer that can work on it. They gave me a list of dealerships in my area. So I called all of them said the same thing they don't have a lift. Chances are I won't have any trouble keep oil and water most of the last forever.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
I just got through calling the number you gave me and they gave me several dealerships that I could check with. All of them said they do not have a lift to work on them not. Even the class C's now this is the area where I live maybe different where you live
Where are you located? I thought the concern was when you are traveling.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #10

THOR #13932
Are you going to sell it based on your local phone calls?
What will you buy instead or will you stop rv life?
You typed that your interest in dealers was when travelling.
If you have a friend to do the work, that means you're out of warranty.
So, again, why a Ford dealer instead of an independent?
Old 12-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #11

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
This why I'm a bit befuddled by the question of the op.
Towing or phone number and directions to the nearest dealer with the facility is a phone call away.

He's considering selling his MotorHome, but his reasoning is hard for me to grasp.
Probably won't sell mine just can't understand why Ford doesn't have a special division for these type vehicles.I called all the numbers gave me all of them in my area said they do not have a lift and they cannot work on it. The gentleman I'm talking about spent $2,600 at one of these independent Shop and his engine is still knocking. Now they're telling them $10,000 for an engine. That's the kind of thing I worry about on the road. But no worries here life's about having fun . No sense in worrying about it till something happens then I'll worry.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #12

THOR #13932
Exactly!
I think it was what we're trying to convey.
No sense in being distraught, when you can be traught.

20,000,000 MotorHomes before you managed, so will you and I.

(an extended warranty would cover his $10,000 engine. You're financially damned if you don't and damned by friends if you do)
Old 12-06-2019, 10:55 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
Probably won't sell mine just can't understand why Ford doesn't have a special division for these type vehicles.I called all the numbers gave me all of them in my area said they do not have a lift and they cannot work on it. The gentleman I'm talking about spent $2,600 at one of these independent Shop and his engine is still knocking. Now they're telling them $10,000 for an engine. That's the kind of thing I worry about on the road. But no worries here life's about having fun . No sense in worrying about it till something happens then I'll worry.
There are quite a few folks on the forum that have had breakdowns on the road and found adequate service.

Here is one such link

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...blem-1911.html

FWIW I recently traded in the Challenger on a Super C on a Freightliner S2RV chassis. The local Freightliner dealer, about 3 miles from the house, will perform service on motor homes, however, there is a catch. For folks with a diesel pusher on a Freightliner chassis they only work on them one day a week and there is a 20.00 per hour surcharge on labor. Folks like me that have a Super C on a S2RV or M2-106 chassis can schedule an appointment anytime and we are not subject to the labor surcharge. The reason is accessibility to all of the engine and chassis components without having to tear half the motor home apart to get the things. A lot of discussion on IRV2 and Jayco about this very issue.

Basically, we all face challenges and how we deal with them is part of the adventure. Heck driving a coach 500 miles for service can be an adventure in and of itself. I may take my Accolade to the Freightliner Oasis service center in Gaffney SC for its first service just to see where the chassis was built and see what they are all about.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:06 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I had to take my Axis to a Cummins shop when the generator's fuel pump failed (repaired under warranty). While there they were telling me that they offer full service for the V-10 (was even trying to sell me a Banks Exhaust system while the mechanic was replacing the fuel pump LOL).

Another place to look at for service: Lots of Cummins shops around.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:17 AM   #15

THOR #3992
Ford dealers

Well I called about 10 Ford dealers all around South Carolina and the ones I called none would work on mine. Not having any trouble with my engine or transmission but what if. It's under warranty where's the Ford dealer that would fix it . One did give me a number for Independent Garage that's where he tells people to go. The name of the place is Fast Track.? I'm just messing around seeing what people think about it.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:21 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I know my home city is not typical, as it is at the intersection of I-10 and I-35 but my Ford truck center not only sells and services Ford HD trucks but Mack, Autocar, Volvo and Western star trucks also. <https://www.grandetruck.com/> As I found out they do not handle tires, but the Goodyear Commercial Truck Center is across the Interstate
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:38 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
My local Ford dealer will work on Motorhomes up to 30 ft. He never said anything about weight.
Cowels Ford in Woodbridge VA. I know this doesn't help the OP, but in case anyone in the Northern VA area needs the info
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
I live close to Charlotte NC, Several dealers so far I found that Town and Country Ford In Charlotte will work on my 35' MH.
That said, when I called they said yes bring it in, the I got there they go whoa how long is it? They later explained that they were worried that they couldn't keep it inside over night if needed( like major repair engine/trans etc.)
Old 12-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #19

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Ford has a specific number for MH owners, sorry I don’t have it right now but you can get it from Ford. I needed an ECU reflash to correct a downshifting problem, couldn’t find a dealer who would do it. I called Ford and they transferred me to the MH line, they gave me list of dealers in my area who would work on my coach. I called one of the dealers and had my coach in two days later and fixed. Call Ford and get the MH number, they were super nice!
Old 12-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #20

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Ford Commercial On-Line web page

Here’s your answer based on the Ford info on-line:

https://fordcommercialvehiclecenter.com/findDealer/init

There is a box for class A (and class C) motorhomes that you can check in the filter drop down menu to narrow down the search. The map provided also can zoom in/out geography based on zip code.

It also lists the length of RV they are able to accommodate.

Even so, you gotta call to confirm.