Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2018, 02:33 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Just closing the loop on this thread... had a mobile tech come out today. Bullseye RV Repair, out of Glendale, AZ. I would recommend him to anyone.

He removed the torn hose, took it to a local hydraulic supply store (~ 20 miles from me) where they cut a hose to length and crimped on the compression fittings. Seems there are two types of fittings commonly used, my coach’s LCI uses both. The one that had to be replaced was, of course, the one he can’t crimp himself.

Came back same day, installed the new line, purged the system (a great thing I learned today, my Lippert system is self purging, just lower and raise the jacks a few times and it removes any air in the lines!) and tested. He also tied up the line and the adjacent line so they won’t continue to rub on the frame. He confirmed that was the cause. He added 1 quart of fluid and it’s ready to go.

Total cost, just under $200. I will send the hose and the invoice to Thor Customer Care, and they will reimburse me. All in all, other than missing the weekend camping trip we had planned over Memorial Weekend, it was not all that painful.

Mike
Hi Mike, Just read this thread. Sorry I didn't see it before. We had a hyd leak on the second trip out and near Tucson. Lost all the fluid so couldn't use the leveling. As it turned out, we had a fitting come lose and dump fluid all over a gas station. When I took it back the the dealer to have them check out the entire system, they found a line wearing through too. They fixed it all and serviced the system and we have had no problems sense. Side note..... I walk across the street and bought some oil kitty litter and spread it out. I would have hatted to walk on oil and then into my car.....

Old 06-09-2018, 04:49 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane
State: California
THOR #1380
My Solution to Hydraulic Hoses

I had a couple of the hoses that started to sweat fluid which is the start of leaking. My mechanic and I crawled around under our Hurricane and I determined I wanted all hoses replaced. There was 7 total. I had him upgrade the hoses to a high-end hose and crimps. My second warranty paid for the standard hoses and I paid the upgrade cost. So far it works great. Now I have developed seal leaks in the front two jacks. Now we have to battle that. Hopefully, this will be the end of my problems for awhile.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #23

THOR #15273
Just experienced this on my 2018 Hurricane. I cannot see where the hose routes from the front right wheel back, but its that hose that blew. Probably hitting the same sharp edge as previously mentioned, and could have been prevented.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #24

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Just closing the loop on this thread... had a mobile tech come out today. Bullseye RV Repair, out of Glendale, AZ. I would recommend him to anyone.

He removed the torn hose, took it to a local hydraulic supply store (~ 20 miles from me) where they cut a hose to length and crimped on the compression fittings. Seems there are two types of fittings commonly used, my coach’s LCI uses both. The one that had to be replaced was, of course, the one he can’t crimp himself.

Came back same day, installed the new line, purged the system (a great thing I learned today, my Lippert system is self purging, just lower and raise the jacks a few times and it removes any air in the lines!) and tested. He also tied up the line and the adjacent line so they won’t continue to rub on the frame. He confirmed that was the cause. He added 1 quart of fluid and it’s ready to go.

Total cost, just under $200. I will send the hose and the invoice to Thor Customer Care, and they will reimburse me. All in all, other than missing the weekend camping trip we had planned over Memorial Weekend, it was not all that painful.

Mike
Very helpful post and also great when people follow up and especially in excellent detail
Old 08-28-2019, 09:05 PM   #25

THOR #12125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilby View Post
I had a couple of the hoses that started to sweat fluid which is the start of leaking. My mechanic and I crawled around under our Hurricane and I determined I wanted all hoses replaced. There was 7 total. I had him upgrade the hoses to a high-end hose and crimps. My second warranty paid for the standard hoses and I paid the upgrade cost. So far it works great. Now I have developed seal leaks in the front two jacks. Now we have to battle that. Hopefully, this will be the end of my problems for awhile.
Hello Wilby - I'm curious on the specifics of your hose upgrade. What kind did you get and what was the cost?

I've got a tear and leak in one of mine (rubbing on the frame appears to be the culprit). I'll route it and secure it better to prevent rubbing, but may still be interested in upgrading the hoses.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #26

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
Well, my blown hose was also the left front. I started to setup in Brooksville, FL last year and the hose blew, fluid everywhere. RV Tech pulled hose, took to shop to have fittings added to new hose. Unfortunately, my repair cost was different. $500 cash or $550 credit card. I paid the $500.

Tech told me the hose was dry rotted...
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:01 AM   #27

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Alaska
THOR #13320
The exact thing happened to my 2018 Hurricane 29M. It was the front left jack hose. Cut in the exact same manner as your’s. I crawled under the coach and pulled out the hose. Took it to a hydraulic shop and had a hose made to replace the split hose. The new hose had a metal shield put where the rub took place. Total cost $85 for the new hose, hearing loss listening to my DW, “I to,d you so”, new pants, shirt and 1.3 pints of sweat. Fixed it. And BTW Thor sent me a check for $85.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:47 AM   #28

State: Florida
THOR #15668
Thor hydraulic beware new not tight

Went out on my 6th trip with new thor miramar... 37.1.
15 minutes from destination at Everglades Isle , Everglafes city FL and had the jeep beep lippert warning.

Checked to see if the jacks were down they were not.

When we arrived at Everglades City the manager Dennis noticed our Toad was covered with ATF fluid. He called his buddy ... 3 quarts of ATF, One 18 mm wrench and tighting a loose hose ...

Anyone else have loose hydraulic hose issues? Is there maiantenance schedule ... For hoses.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #29

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
While there are maintenance schedules out there, many have learned to go around the entire rig inside and out before and after each trip to snug up anything that may be in process of rattling apart when the rig is in motion. Someone here mentioned a "rolling earthquake" when it comes to RVs in general and it is agreed that you should get out in front of what could happen before it inevitably does.
GVP
Old 01-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #30

State: Florida
THOR #15410
Ours were loose from new on our Chateau, . Every bolt fitting, clamp, etc must be checked when you get a chance, with in reason. There is no quality. Of workmanship that I have found. Screws will be stripped, or in crooked. They also may not go to anything. Clamps are always loose, shelves are usually cut too short for the brackets that they fit on , my list goes on and on. Get a good, not expensive, toolkit that you can use. Don't forget to tighten up the AC bolts on the roof. I never bought an RV where they were tight. Good luck, welcome to rving
Old 01-02-2020, 06:57 AM   #31

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connieb View Post
Ours were loose from new on our Chateau, . Every bolt fitting, clamp, etc must be checked when you get a chance, with in reason. There is no quality. Of workmanship that I have found. Screws will be stripped, or in crooked. They also may not go to anything. Clamps are always loose, shelves are usually cut too short for the brackets that they fit on , my list goes on and on. Get a good, not expensive, toolkit that you can use. Don't forget to tighten up the AC bolts on the roof. I never bought an RV where they were tight. Good luck, welcome to rving

Exactly!
GVP