Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Lippert Leveling Jack Leak Found

After dealing with a leaking front left leveling jack since shortly after our 30-day warrantee expired I finally located the source of the leak.

First I sprayed soap and water on the jack, let it set for several minutes, then sprayed it off with a blast of water from the hose. I did that three times to make sure all of the hydraulic fluid and road grime had been cleaned off.

The next day when the jack was dry, I sprayed foot powder from an aerosol spray can onto the upper part of the jack in the general area where the hydraulic fluid appeared to be leaking. I sprayed enough to leave a thin white coating of powder on the jack and hydraulic hose connections. Then I leveled the RV.

Within a minute or two I could see a slight darkening of the white powder at the top of the jack, just below the thick metal top cap and a bit of darkening around the hex bolt head at the top of the jack. The hose connections are fine and not leaking.

I called Lippert and was told that they don't sell parts for the leveling jack and jack will have to be replaced at a cost of $553.91

This is very discouraging because the RV was manufactured in 2014, but since we are not the original owners, there is no warrantee on the Lippert systems, or anything else for that matter.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
Metalman,

I would remove the jack and take it to a shop that specializes in hydraulic cylinders. I had a leak on the cylinder of my bucket loader and they rebuilt it for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Fred
Old 11-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #3

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
+1. A good hydraulic shop can rebuild it with much better seals than Lippert used for less money than a replacement.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I went to a local RV dealer/service center and the fellow at the parts counter gave me two phone number for people who he was told can rebuild hydraulic cylinders. I will be checking them out tomorrow.