Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2021, 01:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #24089
Important safety notice -

Check your TS-30 or similar automatic transfer switch wiring connectors!

While installing a 2nd TS-30 between the current one and electrical panel so I can run the fridge and outlets on an inverter, I noticed that Thor uses twist-on caps for their electrical connections, which is a no-no IMHO.

Why, because RV manufactures often join dissimilar wiring, which is what they did with mine, so crimp-on and/or soldered connectors are required.

Sure enough, one of the 3 neutral wires EASILY fell out of its twist-on cap when I was verifying tightness on the caps Thor used. It VERY tricky to ensure a tight, vibration-proof connecting household type hard wiring to 12-volt soft wiring, which is why I use heat shrink solder connections on all of my mobile projects...

I also noticed a bunch of wood-structural issues, but these things are pieces of crap, so it is what it is.

Again, this could have caused a fire. Check everything in these things. I already advised you guys weeks ago about Thor stapling through my bathroom wall and into my PEX tubing.

For a FULL list of necessary repairs and mods also view posts from NewAxisOwner (for some reason they blocked my main account from posting, so I had to open this new one).

Old 08-08-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis25.2 View Post
Check your TS-30 or similar automatic transfer switch wiring connectors!

While installing a 2nd TS-30 between the current one and electrical panel so I can run the fridge and outlets on an inverter, I noticed that Thor uses twist-on caps for their electrical connections, which is a no-no IMHO.

Why, because RV manufactures often join dissimilar wiring, which is what they did with mine, so crimp-on and/or soldered connectors are required.

Sure enough, one of the 3 neutral wires EASILY fell out of its twist-on cap when I was verifying tightness on the caps Thor used. It VERY tricky to ensure a tight, vibration-proof connecting household type hard wiring to 12-volt soft wiring, which is why I use heat shrink solder connections on all of my mobile projects...

I also noticed a bunch of wood-structural issues, but these things are pieces of crap, so it is what it is.

Again, this could have caused a fire. Check everything in these things. I already advised you guys weeks ago about Thor stapling through my bathroom wall and into my PEX tubing.

For a FULL list of necessary repairs and mods also view posts from NewAxisOwner (for some reason they blocked my main account from posting, so I had to open this new one).
This is a known Thor issue. Some have found this problem when they smelled burning plastic and found melted twist-on connectors. Always the first place to check with 120 VAC supply issues.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:14 AM   #3

THOR #24089
Yet ANOTHER well-known (not to me) problem that Thor should recall...
Old 08-11-2021, 09:16 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Thanks, will keep an eye out
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018 thor axis 25.2