Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2021, 08:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Lippert leveling jacks motor went out

on my 2017 ACE 27.2, I was setting up on a pad the other day and while leveling, the leveling pump shut down.
I started troubleshooting the problem and to make a long story short.

I had Voltage to the solenoid on the motor.
I had someone hit the retract all jacks button while I was at the motor with my digital voltage meter. I got voltage on the small wire at the solenoid at the 11:00 position that signals the solenoid to kick in. The Solenoid kicked in and supplied voltage to the motor. No go. I checked the ground from the motor to the frame and it's good.

I called Lippert Tech Support and discussed with them. They took me through the same troubleshooting process I had just performed. Then they confirmed the motor is toast.

They transferred me to their parts department. I'm thinking $200-$300 for a new motor. $938 with a 10% discount later I have a new motor and coupling coming which is out of stock and will be two weeks before they can ship.

I think, no way this motor is that expensive. I use my Google Foo and look for the same motor at other online sites. They were all just as expensive or more expensive.

I was able to get practice raising the jacks manually using a 9/32" hex wrench and a 1/2" cordless drill with a 1/4" extension and 1/2" socket
I had to borrow the drill. Now a cordless drill will be part of my tool supply while on the road.

I have another trip planned in just over a week so I'll have to use boards to level with for the time being.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #2

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Have you thought of taking it to a motor shop?
Have them look at it and determine why it failed, if they can fix it, and what that would cost.
I know of one electrical motor shop in Athens, TN.
Sorry for not much help on this.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
So no extended warranty?
Old 05-04-2021, 03:49 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Had a friend with the same issue. We replaced the motor & it still wouldn't run???
Finally talked to a different person at Lippert that suggested changing the 50 amp circuit breaker to a 80 amp, everything worked.Since then I've read several instances on other forums of the same circuit breaker upgrade recommended by Lippert. But he now has a very expensive spare motor for just in case.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
When mine went out several years ago I sent it to a repair shop in California that refurbished the entire motor and shipped it back to me. Under $500 total and has been working like a champ ever since then.

I did a search by the Lippert part number to find the shop.
I believe it was 359303?
Here's a motor with that number for the same general price ($400).
https://www.dyersonline.com/lippert-...ump-motor.html

Here's one for $462
https://bendtrailers.com/lippert-lev...-motor-359303/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Had a friend with the same issue. We replaced the motor & it still wouldn't run???
Finally talked to a different person at Lippert that suggested changing the 50 amp circuit breaker to a 80 amp, everything worked.Since then I've read several instances on other forums of the same circuit breaker upgrade recommended by Lippert. But he now has a very expensive spare motor for just in case.
The motor is supposed to be on a 100 amp circuit breaker.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
If you have an old time auto parts store in your area talk to them and see if they know of any one who rebuilds 12 volt starters and generators. Years ago I had obsolete parts rebuilt for car restorations. You can also look for companies that supply motors based on the specs of the motor you need a replacement for. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:36 PM   #8

THOR #989

Western Motor Services - Rockford, IL

www.wms1.com

These people are a supplier of specailty motors, they may be able to help.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:17 PM   #9

THOR #17883
No extended warranty. I can buy and fix a lot stuff myself and probably still have money left over by the time an extended warranty would expire.

I'll tear into the motor once I get the replacement. If it is repairable, I'll repair it for a spare.

The breaker is not the problem. I'm getting 14.3 or more volts to the motor. I can tap it with a hammer handle with the all jacks button activated and it tries to run. Probably a brush ring problem or worn brushes. I won't know until I dissemble it.

The 359303 motor mentioned above is not the one that I have. My old motor P/N is 414850 which has been superseded by P/N 179327. I think it's the same motor but just with a different number without any changes to the motor.

In my research I found one guy that received a new motor with the new P/N on the package but the motor still had the old P/N on it.

The $938 I spent includes a new motor, new coupling and shipping. They didn't charge tax.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:22 PM   #10

THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
When mine went out several years ago I sent it to a repair shop in California that refurbished the entire motor and shipped it back to me. Under $500 total and has been working like a champ ever since then.

I did a search by the Lippert part number to find the shop.
I believe it was 359303?
Here's a motor with that number for the same general price ($400).
https://www.dyersonline.com/lippert-...ump-motor.html

Here's one for $462
https://bendtrailers.com/lippert-lev...-motor-359303/
The P/N you mentioned above isn't my motor. Mine motor even looks bigger.

In the links you provided, I ran my P/N.

This one is $930.99
https://www.dyersonline.com/catalogs...cat=0&q=179327

This one is $1,051.80
https://bendtrailers.com/search.php?...ection=product

Thanks for trying though.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:47 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
The P/N you mentioned above isn't my motor. Mine motor even looks bigger.

In the links you provided, I ran my P/N.

This one is $930.99
https://www.dyersonline.com/catalogs...cat=0&q=179327

This one is $1,051.80
https://bendtrailers.com/search.php?...ection=product

Thanks for trying though.

You are right, my part # was wrong. But using your part number I was able to find the shop that rebuilt mine:

https://eurtonelectric.com/catalog/m...V_Motor_Repair
Old 05-06-2021, 09:59 PM   #12

THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You are right, my part # was wrong. But using your part number I was able to find the shop that rebuilt mine:

https://eurtonelectric.com/catalog/m...V_Motor_Repair
I think that I can do it a lot cheaper than that if my suspicions are correct. If the armature and windings check out good which I think they will. I figure the problem will be with the brushes.
I'll have to find new brushes plus maybe a few other cheap parts. I'll do the repair myself.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:22 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
That was my intent as well: replace the brushes and clean up the commutator - until I saw the heat damage on the rotor. Even though it tested OK I decided to let the pros go through it. They ended up rewinding the rotor.
Looking at my invoice I paid them just under $300 plus my cost to ship it to them which was about $25 in December of 2017.
Quote:
I think that I can do it a lot cheaper than that if my suspicions are correct. If the armature and windings check out good which I think they will. I figure the problem will be with the brushes.
I'll have to find new brushes plus maybe a few other cheap parts. I'll do the repair myself.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:44 PM   #14

THOR #17883
If I run into any evident heat or wear problems with the internal wiring, I'll send it off as well and let it be rebuilt by a shop.
Once I have opened this thing up to see what I'm dealing with, I'll know a lot more about it.
If you wonder why I haven't pulled the motor yet, I have another trip planned leaving on the 10th. My new motor is scheduled to ship on the 11th.
I need that nut on the back of the motor to use my drill on to build up pressure on the pressure sensors to give me an all clear on jacks raised.

I'd just rather wait until I have a fix in my hand before I start troubleshooting the problem with the current motor.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:39 PM   #15

THOR #989
What direction do you have to turn the nut to build up the pressure to get you the all clear? Last year when I blew a line while I was driving and lost all the fluid I was able to turn off the system and quiet the alarms and drive the last ten miles to our destination. All the jacks stayed up, thank God!
Old 05-08-2021, 01:44 AM   #16

THOR #17883
Open the front two jacks valves with a 9/32" hex key wrench. Spin the nut counterclockwise with a drill, It takes a 1/2" socket to fit the nut. Spin it until the jacks are all the way up and keep it spinning for 10-15 more seconds to build pressure in the system that will clear the jacks down alarm. My system sees pressure to indicate jacks are up.
Close the front jacks valves and repeat the procedure for the rear jacks.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:17 PM   #17

Model: challenger
State: Alabama
THOR #21263
ebay

pump 414850 is listed on ebay for 699 or best offer.
both old and new part numbers are listed.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:01 PM   #18

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Extended warranty's and service agreements are a super rip off. On my Tuscany they wanted $7,000-$9,000 these people are nuggin futz!
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:09 AM   #19

THOR #15042
Quote:
on my 2017 ACE 27.2, I was setting up on a pad the other day and while leveling, the leveling pump shut down.
I started troubleshooting the problem and to make a long story short.

I had Voltage to the solenoid on the motor.
I had someone hit the retract all jacks button while I was at the motor with my digital voltage meter. I got voltage on the small wire at the solenoid at the 11:00 position that signals the solenoid to kick in. The Solenoid kicked in and supplied voltage to the motor. No go. I checked the ground from the motor to the frame and it's good.

I called Lippert Tech Support and discussed with them. They took me through the same troubleshooting process I had just performed. Then they confirmed the motor is toast.

They transferred me to their parts department. I'm thinking $200-$300 for a new motor. $938 with a 10% discount later I have a new motor and coupling coming which is out of stock and will be two weeks before they can ship.

I think, no way this motor is that expensive. I use my Google Foo and look for the same motor at other online sites. They were all just as expensive or more expensive.

I was able to get practice raising the jacks manually using a 9/32" hex wrench and a 1/2" cordless drill with a 1/4" extension and 1/2" socket
I had to borrow the drill. Now a cordless drill will be part of my tool supply while on the road.

I have another trip planned in just over a week so I'll have to use boards to level with for the time being.
I had some experience with lippert and their technicians were very helpful they really went out of their way to help
Old 05-18-2021, 05:11 PM   #20

THOR #17883
Just got home from a trip yesterday. The new motor had arrived. I replaced it this morning and it works fine now.