Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2020, 07:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
Lippert One Control frequent reset

I have a 2019 Thor Vegas 24.1 with the Lippert One Control Wireless system.

I have had a continual problem with needing to reset the panel to make it function. A common condition would involve waking the unit with the black button and finding one of two things happen:

1) The One Control logo shows, but nothing else happens, or

2) All of the icons come up on the screen, but when I touch one, the screen goes dark and maybe or maybe not shows the One Control logo.

Doing a reset by holding the black button, or a hard reset through the small hole in front normally brings it back to normal. A couple of times I have had to stop power to the unit and turn power on again.

There is no pattern for this problem. It may happen twice in a day, or may not happen for three days. The One Control phone app always works.

Do I have a defective touch screen, a wiring problem or ??

I will probably have to call Lippert, but I am wondering if others have had this problem.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:20 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi, I don’t know much about this system other than Lippert used to call it MyRV before changing it to OneControl. There seems to be numerous folks posting on line having random issues with this system over the last few years. I have attached one for reference. Some of the reference links to Lippert OneControl programming manuals (in my link) are now dead, but if you search the net you can find them (if you don’t already have them).

Page 6 posting #59 on the following link had an interesting problem with missing icons and a broken CANbus controller connector.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ng-Icons/page6

I was wondering if your issue has just started happening or if it has been a problem from day one? Any recent software or firmware upgrades just installed for OneControl? If yes, going back to a previous load can clear the problem, until you call the vendor for formal tech assistance.

After reading a few posts, one basic approach is to check all CANbus wiring connectors on all the different OneControl controller devices. I also believe that the CANbus itself can become corrupted by one bad device on that shared communication wiring network. There are CANbus test devices that can be used to track down any bad connected devices, but I would start with checking all your OneControl device connections first (loose connections; bad wire terminations; damaged wire etc). Also check power and ground connections on each of the OneControl devices. As you can imagine, an RV in motion can cause many intermittent connection issues. Calling Lippert is probably your best solution, but at least you can tell them you have checked all related wiring/connections.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:09 AM   #3

THOR #17456
Thanks!

Javelin, thank you for the reply!
Yes, this has been an intermittent issue from day one. And yes, I have occasionally had the missing icon issue as many have noted. Checking various CANBUS connections has always solved that issue.
I have emailed Lippert and will call them if I need more after their reply. Will post any solutions.
As to software updates-I have never had any.
Thor, if you are reading this, can't we go back to a nice panel of easy-to-use switches?
Old 07-07-2020, 06:22 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #17285
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
I have a 2019 Thor Vegas 24.1 with the Lippert One Control Wireless system.

I have had a continual problem with needing to reset the panel to make it function. A common condition would involve waking the unit with the black button and finding one of two things happen:

1) The One Control logo shows, but nothing else happens, or

2) All of the icons come up on the screen, but when I touch one, the screen goes dark and maybe or maybe not shows the One Control logo.

Doing a reset by holding the black button, or a hard reset through the small hole in front normally brings it back to normal. A couple of times I have had to stop power to the unit and turn power on again.

There is no pattern for this problem. It may happen twice in a day, or may not happen for three days. The One Control phone app always works.

Do I have a defective touch screen, a wiring problem or ??

I will probably have to call Lippert, but I am wondering if others have had this problem.
We have had tons of issues with our panel. Sometimes three icons, sometimes 9. Frequent resets. Fortunately, we can run all the controls using the One Control app on my iPad (had to do this in service bay at CW because THEY could not figure out how to extend the awning without a panel icon) When you email Lippert, you get this nonsensical answer.

In the event that one or more icons are missing from the One Control Touch Pad, we are going to need to look at the can bus network or the power supply going to the systems different controllers. The system has a series of multiple controllers based on what functions the OEM has decided to install inside the camper. These different controllers communicate through a Can bus network that daisy chains each of the control modules together. When looking at the can bus wire connections on the controllers, the connectors are generally labeled “CAN.” If the connector is not labeled, there will be two two-pin connectors that are side by side. If the can bus wire becomes loose or disconnected the icons on the panel will disappear. There are also terminating resistors at the beginning and the end of the chain. If the control modules lose power to them, this will also cause the icons to disappear. You will need to check the power to each of the controllers. In order to fix the missing icons, you will need to trace each of the can wires and find where the can wire has been damaged or disconnected. Once the connection is repaired, the icons will automatically reappear on the screen.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:20 PM   #5

THOR #17456
Missing Icons

The individual component controllers are connected in a continuous circuit in the CANBUS network. If any one connection is loose, or a wire is damaged, there will be missing icons. I would suggest locating all of them, probably nine in your case, and disconnecting and reconnecting each one. The one for the slide control is in the cabinet under the driver. The one for the front bed is behind the false cabinet side and near the touch screen (in mine that control was also just hanging so I attached it). Thor should be able to give you the other locations. They are all square, black boxes about 4 inches square and an inch thick. The touch screen sends a signal to the black controller effectively saying "Extend my awning" and the controller starts the motor. Imagine yourself relaying a message through up to nine friends. If any one of them fails to do their job, the message stops!

I think it is highly likely one of those connections is not always making contact and all of the "downstream" controllers in the circuit will be missing from your touch screen. Second guess, and less likely, is a damaged wire. Third, but possible, is a faulty touchscreen panel.
I occasionally had the missing icon issue which, it seems, may be OK. My reset problem has also mysteriously gone away for the last month, but dealer has ordered a new panel given its history of problems. IF I fixed it, I moved so many wires and checked so many connections, I cannot be sure what fixed it, or if it is permanently fixed.

You should also give Lippert another call. I have found them very helpful.

Too much technology!! I would rather have switches!!
Old 08-19-2020, 07:28 PM   #6

THOR #17456
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
The individual component controllers are connected in a continuous circuit in the CANBUS network. If any one connection is loose, or a wire is damaged, there will be missing icons. I would suggest locating all of them, probably nine in your case, and disconnecting and reconnecting each one. The one for the slide control is in the cabinet under the driver. The one for the front bed is behind the false cabinet side and near the touch screen (in mine that control was also just hanging so I attached it). Thor should be able to give you the other locations. They are all square, black boxes about 4 inches square and an inch thick. The touch screen sends a signal to the black controller effectively saying "Extend my awning" and the controller starts the motor. Imagine yourself relaying a message through up to nine friends. If any one of them fails to do their job, the message stops!

I think it is highly likely one of those connections is not always making contact and all of the "downstream" controllers in the circuit will be missing from your touch screen. Second guess, and less likely, is a damaged wire. Third, but possible, is a faulty touchscreen panel.
I occasionally had the missing icon issue which, it seems, may be OK. My reset problem has also mysteriously gone away for the last month, but dealer has ordered a new panel given its history of problems. IF I fixed it, I moved so many wires and checked so many connections, I cannot be sure what fixed it, or if it is permanently fixed.

You should also give Lippert another call. I have found them very helpful.

Too much technology!! I would rather have switches!!
After the "mysterious cure", the Lippert touchscreen performed with no reset. My only other observation was that it frequently did not respond well to touch. Lippert was most helpful and authorized a new panel. Just had it installed by dealer and it functions flawlessly. The whole display software has been changed and the appearance on the screen is much more like the phone app.
I am happy and there was great support from Lippert and my dealer.