Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2015, 12:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #1393
Lippert Shwintek Slides

I currently have my rig in for warranty repairs to the slide out, which stopped working. I was surprised to learn that they will be adding an additional track on the bottom (had 2 originally) as well as replacing the entire system with an improved version which includes steel rods instead of the original aluminum ones. It appears that Lippert has acknowledged some design flaws and doing something about it. It also appears, from numerous posts on the internet regarding Shwintek system failures, that they will be upgrading a lot of their slides.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:46 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Thanks. As a rookie here with no slide problems (yet) in my 2016 I will store this for later reference.

Best wishes with the repair/upgrade.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:06 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The slide on the 24.1 is so small I doubt you'll ever have any issues.

Acsnook's 27.1 slide is quite large and includes a bed--a significant amount of additional weight than the simple couch slide on the 24.1.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:12 AM   #4

THOR #2142
Jamie,

Good to know. Thanks.

Did you see my coments about the Front end alignment? It was in a different thread (about radios and such I think) and really out of context for that threat but I saw your name and made mention.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:31 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Did you see my coments about the Front end alignment? It was in a different thread (about radios and such I think) and really out of context for that threat but I saw your name and made mention.
Nope missed that one.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #6

THOR #2142
Jamie, here it is from earlier:

Again, I appreciate the insights. I'll look around for possible support options, pictures will be taken too!

FYI: Totally different topic but; I have seen your name on some earlier Posts pertaining to on trying to get a Front end Alignment work done under warranty. My problem is excessive play (back and forth) in the steering wheel at Highway Speeds. It was noted during the PDI back in May. Well, today I received the following clarification from Thor Warranty Division:
1. If the problem is Toe-in/Toe-out it is covered by Thor but for a very limited time following purchase and only up to a set amount.
2. If the problem is Caster or Camber then it is to be covered by Ford Warranty.
3. I must get the work done, pay for it, then send in a copy of the bill along with a copy of the Specs both before and after.

I have an appointment to get it done locally at a (namebrand) Truck and Tire Alignment Shop...any specific suggestions as to what to mention to the mechanic? The Ford Dealership near my RV Dealer does not do RV work and the next nearest Ford Dealership said Ford has no Warranty on Front End work (I have the 2015 Manual, and even printed out page 14 that states one year coverage). I do not think they were interested.

Thanks again for your help and insights.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Getting the front-end aligned is a must: When we picked up our unit there was a sticker next to the drivers seat indicating to get one, in addition there was a warning in the "manual tote-bag" and our dealer strongly recommended getting one.

I put down my thoughts on driving the Axis/Vegas in this long post here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...egas-1000.html
Old 08-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
Just a quick note, you are supposed to lubricate the Schwintek slide system. Here is a link to a video by Lippert.

Fred
Old 08-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred g View Post
Just a quick note, you are supposed to lubricate the Schwintek slide system. Here is a link to a video by Lippert.

Fred
How often? Looks like 16 places per slide. Is that correct?
Old 08-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
I lube mine about every month to 6 weeks. It only takes a quick squirt and I do it on the outside and also on the inside if I can get to it. Usually, there are only 2 motors on the top of the slide and that's what you want to lube. Do not lube the indentations on the tracks.

Fred
Old 08-30-2015, 01:23 AM   #11

THOR #2142
Jamie,

Thanks I read that series. To me if they know it needs a Front End Alignment once the RV gets a new home...why not "Comp" one in the sales deal? It would make for great PR and they can hide the cost somewhere in the RV...or actually give it to you (you just spent something North of $70K on an RV with MSRP of $99K). I have spent almost 90 days to do something everyone agrees needs to be done with the RV straight out of the box!!!

Maybe the PR people at Thor need to wake up!!!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2015, 01:46 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
I have spent almost 90 days to do something everyone agrees needs to be done with the RV straight out of the box!!!
Sort of: I was instructed to get the alignment after we loaded all our stuff up in it. The idea was to have it aligned at your travel weight. Granted the dealer could still comp you this, perhaps by giving you a certificate to a local truck shop (heck they could partner with them to send the business their way..a win win for both places).
Old 08-31-2015, 06:52 PM   #13

THOR #2142
Jamie,

Well I got the front end alignment taken care of. Not much wrong: the Camber Rt Front was 0 degree Lt Front +1/8 degree , the Caster was Rt +4.25 degree and Lt +4.5 degree.

BUT the Toe was .125 degree + (1/8" +) Before and .025 degree + (1/32") After.

Being a bit of a neophyte here I really do not know exactly what we are shooting at. Any ballpark figures or is there somewhere this can be looked up (not in my Ford E350 Owners Manual).

I also found out my 2016 has the older (5R110) transmission.

Take care.