Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
little propane tip.

We went to have our propane tank filled today for the first time since we bought the coach.

The good news is that after 20 camping days/nights, we only used 20lbs of the 40lb tank, which includes keeping the water heater on all the time during those camping days, running the stove and oven, 4 days running the fridge on propane whilst boondocking, and 3 or 4 nights running the furnace when the outside temps dropped into the low '50s.

The bad news is that we went to our local propane filling station (different than the place that we bought our RV from and had the propane filled originally), and the guy discovered that there is supposed to be a gasket in the fill tube, which was missing.

He was able to remove a gasket from another class C propane tank on his lot and fill our tank. But he did not have any spares.

So I ended up driving 50 miles to the dealer that sold us the RV. They told me that those gaskets fall out all the time, and they had a box of them in the service shop. They gave me two of them - one to replace the missing one, and one for a spare.

So my tip is to make sure the gasket is still in the fill tube after you have your propane filled. Watch the person filling the tank and make sure it does not fall out or get stuck to the end of the fill nozzle.

Second tip - find a spare gasket for your spares kit.

I was not able to find anywhere that they sold the gaskets at retail, neither at our local Camping World or the dealer that sold me the RV.

I did find them at Amazon.Com, but they were a whopping $13 for a single gasket. They kind of look like what you would find on a water hose, only larger.

The guy at the RV shop gave me two at no cost as he said their propane supplier gave them a whole box of them. So that might be another source for finding them.

By the way, I also found that propane tanks are measured in pounds of propane, but when you buy propane (refill), it is measured in gallons of liquid. One gallon of propane is around 4 something pounds. So a 40 pound tank will hold just under 10 gallons of propane. The going price of propane in my area is $3~4, depending on where you get it.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
thanks for the tip. I haven't got to that point yet. Would be a shame to need a refill and be missin the gasket!
I'll very that it's in place at my next opportunity..... and keep my eye out for a spare!
Old 08-10-2014, 03:19 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Nevada
THOR #976
Thanks for the tip !