Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2021, 08:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #23565
Location of Inverter

Where is the Inverter on my 2016 Thor Chateau Class C RV? I have several outlets that are no working and I need to see if the Inverter has a GFI breaker on it.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:38 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
If your coach has an inverter, it is usually located next to or near the coach's breaker/fuse box. Most are breaker/fuse boxes are near/under the bed in the back.
Just did a quick search on your coach, Thor does not list it coming with an inverter. It has a converter. If it has an inverter, it had to have been added by another owner. Did you check your GFCI outlet in the bathroom to make sure it had not tripped? You may also have a 2nd GFCI outlet in your coach that may have tripped.

Paul
Old 05-24-2021, 08:57 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Thor does not wire all outlets to an Inverter on their Class C's when an Inverter is stock equipment. The stock battery banks don't have enough capacity so they limit what the Inverter will power.

Typically a stock Inverter will only have the following outlets wired:

- TV's / Entertainment System
- Residential Fridge
- Outlet near bed for a CPAP machine

The GFCI outlets will not typcially be wired on the Inverter circuit as well.

Now all that being said....... the Inverter manufacturers recommend a subpanel on the Inverter output circuit but Thor does not wire them that way. I have found on the Class C's with smaller Inverters, Thor will use the the wires available for an optional GFCI receptable that can be added to the Inverter as an option (instead of the available hard-wired connections). The onboard GFCI receptacle has its own push button breaker so this serves as a cheap subpanel for the Inverter output voltage.

There will be a breaker in your Power Distribution Center that will control the AC input to the Inverter if it has a built-in transfer switch.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:59 PM   #4

THOR #23565
Location of Inverter

Yes, it has an Inverter. A Xantrex XM1800. It’s mounted on the wall as you enter the coach.
I checked to outlet in the bathroom. I have power at the bathroom outlet and back bedroom. Also have power for TV outlets and microwave. Only the ones over the kitchen counter, dinette and sofa are not working.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:02 PM   #5

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkyjoe View Post
Yes, it has an Inverter. A Xantrex XM1800. It’s mounted on the wall as you enter the coach.
I checked to outlet in the bathroom. I have power at the bathroom outlet and back bedroom. Also have power for TV outlets and microwave. Only the ones over the kitchen counter, dinette and sofa are not working.

Then it sounds like your Inverter is working properly by Thor standards. You can donload the schematics for your coach on the Thor Owners Site and it will show the locations of the outlets wired to the Inverter.

I have a Magnitude Super C with a Xantrex Freedom X 2000 and only the following outlets are on the Inverter:

- TV in Cab-Over
- DVD Player
- Residential Fridge
- Outdoor Fridge
- Outdoor TV
- Outlet next to bed on back of shower wall

My bedroom TV is not on the Inverter circuit. It is odd they didn't include since my Class C Outlaw had all three TV's on the Inverter circuit.... it's likely because I have two refrigerators on the Inverter circuit.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:03 PM   #6

THOR #23565
Is it possible for the bathroom outlet to have power and the GFI breaker not allow power to the other outlets even if is hasn’t popped?
Old 05-24-2021, 09:14 PM   #7

THOR #12751
Quote:
Is it possible for the bathroom outlet to have power and the GFI breaker not allow power to the other outlets even if is hasn’t popped?

Normally..... There is one GFCI outlet and all of the bathroom, kitchen and outdoor outlets are on that circuit because they can be exposed to water.

My GFCI circuit is labeled as 5A on my schematics (my Inverter circuit is 5B). My physical GFCI outlet is in the bathroom and the kitchen, outdoor outlets and recliner outlet (they are next to the sink) are on the GFCI circuit. It would be odd for any bathroom outlet not to be on a GFCI circuit or work if the circuit is tripped.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:04 PM   #8

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
That is always possible. Not too difficult to remove and do a voltage check, first trip the breaker for that circuit and then inspect the wiring on that outlet.
Does your unit have an outside receptacle too? It would be on the GFCI circuit.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:04 PM   #9
OCB

State: Georgia
THOR #18826
Location for inverter on 2017 axis 25-2
Old 01-09-2022, 06:27 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCB View Post
Location for inverter on 2017 axis 25-2
Wherever the previous owner put it. Not standard equipment for that coach.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote