Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2020, 11:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #14032
Genset Voltage Output

Ongoing issue with running Onan Gen., model 4KYFA26100p, not providing enough Volts to engage transfer switch, no house power. Recently had RV into Cummins and they replaced control board with p/n 327-1413. Worked for a couple of weeks but now issue has returned.
How can I check generator voltage with multimeter? Regulator is part of the control board.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:28 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9592 View Post
Ongoing issue with running Onan Gen., model 4KYFA26100p, not providing enough Volts to engage transfer switch, no house power. Recently had RV into Cummins and they replaced control board with p/n 327-1413. Worked for a couple of weeks but now issue has returned.
How can I check generator voltage with multimeter? Regulator is part of the control board.
The easiest way is to pull the top of the transfer switch, set the volt meter to 120 to 240 volts AC, put the voltmeter probes into the electric cable lugs coming from the generator and then start the generator. Please be careful as 120 volts is enough to injure you badly. I would you tape the voltmeter leads to the terminals if you cannot wedge them in-place.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:37 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
You seem to be pursuing the solution to a specific problem. Good luck. I often suggest to my fellow campers the purchase of a Hughes voltmeter:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195J4T2Q...osi&th=1&psc=1

I keep mine plugged into the bathroom outlet all the time. It tells me the interesting real time story of my shore power voltage as well as my generator. It also happens to be a perfectly dandy night lite. Well worth it’s $16 cost.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:41 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The easiest way is to pull the top of the transfer switch, set the volt meter to 120 to 240 volts AC, put the voltmeter probes into the electric cable lugs coming from the generator and then start the generator. Please be careful as 120 volts is enough to injure you badly. I would you tape the voltmeter leads to the terminals if you cannot wedge them in-place.
Unplug shore power first. Start the gen. No wedging. No tapeing. Set the meter to 200 volt AC scale. Hold a probe in each hand. Put one probe on the neutral (White wire) and leave it there. Move the other probe from one post to the other coming from the gen. Be sure breakers on the gen are on.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:42 AM   #5

THOR #14032
Pulled top to transfer switch and taped meter probes to generator terminals. Surprisingly low volt reading, wonder if I’ve done something wrong. Is there way to test voltage using meter probes on Gen. control board?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0425.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	23014   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	23015  

Old 03-22-2020, 12:48 AM   #6

THOR #14032
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Unplug shore power first. Start the gen. No wedging. No tapeing. Set the meter to 200 volt AC scale. Hold a probe in each hand. Put one probe on the neutral (White wire) and leave it there. Move the other probe from one post to the other coming from the gen. Be sure breakers on the gen are on.
You reference "breakers" plural. I'm aware of only the Line Circuit Breaker to right side of control switch. Are there others?
Old 03-22-2020, 12:56 AM   #7

THOR #15553
Quote:
You reference "breakers" plural. I'm aware of only the Line Circuit Breaker to right side of control switch. Are there others?
some gens have 1 breaker. Some gens have 2.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:19 AM   #8

THOR #15553
Quote:
Can not see where you are measuring from. Too many obstacles. Tape blocking things. What is the loose white neutral wire? Can you take a clearer picture showing all wire connections? Remove the tape and use the probes as I described above.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:51 AM   #9

THOR #14032
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Can not see where you are measuring from. Too many obstacles. Tape blocking things. What is the loose white neutral wire? Can you take a clearer picture showing all wire connections? Remove the tape and use the probes as I described above.
Loose wire/s are jumpers from ATS to Gen wires, I removed wire nuts and jumpers then taped meter probes to incoming Gen hot/neutral wires. I'll need to work up more courage before holding meter probes to Gen wires.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:58 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
There's your problem!

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:15 AM   #11

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #17950
I want to start a new post with a different electrical question but don't know how. Who can help me?
Old 03-22-2020, 02:23 AM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardehrhart View Post
I want to start a new post with a different electrical question but don't know how. Who can help me?
First go into the area of the forum where the question would be appropriate, for example Maintenance and Repair, or Class C or another area. When you get into that area click on "New Thread" and then submit your new question.

I will suggest that you conduct a search of the forum beforehand to see if the question has already been asked and answered.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #13

Model: chateau 23U
THOR #1241
circuit breaker on genset panel.

Check the circuit breaker on the generator control panel. It's easy to knock off with your hands. You need to reach around the side of the flange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	23079  
Old 03-28-2020, 11:20 PM   #14

THOR #15553
Quote:
Loose wire/s are jumpers from ATS to Gen wires, I removed wire nuts and jumpers then taped meter probes to incoming Gen hot/neutral wires. I'll need to work up more courage before holding meter probes to Gen wires.
If you must use tape on volt meter leads. please stay away from electricity. I will no longer take part in this discussion.