Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2020, 04:21 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I removed the plastic valve holder in both rear rims.
I purchased valve extenders from Amazon
There’s a huge assortment so that you can pick the one best for your needs
Now I can easily access all the valve stems (vs before I could not)

Old 05-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #22

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I'll take a look at ripping down that front caliper.
I have a nice grinder.

My thoughts exactly, Duck, grind the excess metal away w/o getting critically thin on the caliper.
GVP
Old 05-15-2020, 12:39 PM   #23

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah it would only need like 2mm deep and maybe 5mm wide. Not much materal needs to be removed.

Do we think these rims would flex some under cornering loads? If so we might need 8 mm deep? I guess we can compare with the OEM rims on the front by Taping some cardboard the the rim and spin to see how thick we can get away with?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #24

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It will be a while from now but I'll do a tutorial on what and how.
I'll check the casting and take off as much as makes sense. The interference might just be from casting on the caliper might just be for ease of casting and not important to the caliper.

They don't rotate the stress on them is pretty straight and straight forward.
A LOT of times things are cast a certain shape to take advantage of standard bolt size either in the mold itself or in the completed part.

So, not too scary to trim one down.
If someone beats me to the chore, I'd like that.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:20 AM   #25

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
I purchased mine from e-trailer. like duckface said, you found out, mine rubs when tightened on caliper to the point it will not turn. BE WARNED - if you grind the caliper you will never pass an inspection! they always check brakes, and a grinded caliper will never pass inspection, you will need to replace it, and then you are back to no rim fit. I use mine on rear outer only, better than not having one for me. I would have liked to get one that fit, but couldn't find one. I mounted my spare under behind gas tank, fits snug there. I made two bar brackets to hold it in place.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #26

THOR #12231
What inspections? LOL. They did away with vehicle inspections 25 years ago in AR. They were a joke anyway.

Not sure how many other states did away with inspections but Im sure we are not the only one.

It will only need a slight grinding. If he does it smoothly and paints over it no one will every know. Mine would spin fine but you could hear it rubbing slightly. When I took it off you could see where the rim paint transfered to the caliper. It only need minior grinding.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 05-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #27

THOR #12231
I bet the rear brakes as smaller than the front so It should work on the inside Rear if needed. But I did not try (to much work just to check)
Old 05-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #28

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
What inspections? LOL. They did away with vehicle inspections 25 years ago in AR. They were a joke anyway.

Not sure how many other states did away with inspections but Im sure we are not the only one.

It will only need a slight grinding. If he does it smoothly and paints over it no one will every know. Mine would spin fine but you could hear it rubbing slightly. When I took it off you could see where the rim paint transfered to the caliper. It only need minior grinding.
Good info, thanks!

PS - no vehicle inspections in CA that I've ever experienced
Old 05-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

Yeah, most states did away with vehicle inspections decades ago. I think VA and MD still have them, but then VA still charges you a personal property tax on your vehicles every year as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:25 PM   #30
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Good info, thanks!

PS - no vehicle inspections in CA that I've ever experienced
I don't live there but I thought I had heard they had emissions testing in CA?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #31

Model: Quantum WS31
State: New York
THOR #14399
Looking for a spare

Try calling Winegardener Sales in Indiana. I have a Thor Gemini that I wanted a spare tire and wheel for. Checked with local salvage & repair shops, no luck. Ford wanted over $300 for a new wheel. After much looking, located a tire and wheel on eBay from them. The 195/75/16C tire and wheel had never been used and the wheel was compatible for the rear dual. Price was reasonable as well.
419-227-9047
http://stores.ebay.com/wine1wholesale

Good luck
Old 05-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #32

Model: Quantum WS31
State: New York
THOR #14399
Quote:
Im trying to put together a spare tire for my 2017 Axis. Well I read about every "spare tire" posting on this forum but when I go to purchase on Amazon I find a note that says "Does NOT Fit E350 E450 Box Truck/Cutaways" on the rim that looks correct for my application.

Will that work on my "Stripper Chassis Axis"? Am I overthinking this?

I did some other searches and I either find a OEM rims for $225.00 + or folks that are "out of stock" or it shows ealier years like 2003 - 2007 only?

Will "any" of these late model Ford E350 / E450 rims work on our RV's?

Why would they say "not for Cutaway's"?

I sourced a matching tire locally but they cannot find a "cheap rim" (other than going to Ford for $225+).

Any suggestion? Thanks.
Try calling Winegardener Sales in Indiana. I have a Thor Gemini that I wanted/needed a spare tire and wheel for. Checked with local salvage & repair shops, no luck. Ford wanted over $300 for a new wheel. After much looking, located a tire and wheel on eBay from them. The 195/75/16C tire and wheel had never been used and the wheel was compatible for the rear dual. Price was reasonable as well.
419-227-9047
http://stores.ebay.com/wine1wholesale

Good luck
Old 05-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #33

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I don't live there but I thought I had heard they had emissions testing in CA?
CA emission testing works like this...
- begins on the 8th year after new vehicle is purchased
- it’s a computer test only, they don’t inspect the calipers