Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Ohio
THOR #9014
Loose wires underneath

I noticed wires hanging under the Thor Vegas. They were still connected, and the tape that was holding up the excess had come off. I am dismayed that tape was used to hold up the wires. I taped them up again (in 2 places) with indoor/outdoor duct tape. There has to be a more secure way than using tape!

Old 03-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Zip ties.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
I tied all mine up with zip ties. And while I was under there I put expanding foam in any gaps where hoses or wires entered the coach. Also you might want to check the heating pads on the tanks one of mine was coming off. I reattached it using 3m spray adhesive and black gorilla tape for good measure.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #4

Model: 2018 Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #9055
I used up a 50pc package underneath mine. Was a few that didn’t need any help. The worst was a wire in the black loom was resting one of the driveshaft sections, it made in thru the plastic loom and was working on the wire by the time I caught it.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #5

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I tied all mine up with zip ties. And while I was under there I put expanding foam in any gaps where hoses or wires entered the coach.
I spent an hour and NUMEROUS wire ties under my Challenger securing all the loose and/or hanging wires. At the very back where the hitch is, rear lights, etc., it was a mess, several hanging down enough that hitting any sort of object on the road - limbs, sticks, etc., could have wreaked havoc on the wiring. This was one of the starts to my realizing Thor's QC was pretty weak because of the lack of attention to this area.

I'm sure I addressed mine with overkill but I KNOW any wiring not secured so it doesn't hang loose, rub on something, or just dangles haphazardly, is a problem waiting to happen.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
All of the under the floor wires on my RV are enclosed in wire looms. I have added a few new wires and used loom for them. It would probably be better to use loom to enclose your wiring but it won't be easy to make this mod.

If you don't know what "loom" is, it is split plastic tubing available in many diameters, google "wire loom".
Old 03-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #7

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Yep, loose wires everywhere. Not done with mine yet, but used Gorilla tape on some places that so far have held up well. Clean area real good, apply tape and use heat gun lightly.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I tied all mine up with zip ties. And while I was under there I put expanding foam in any gaps where hoses or wires entered the coach. Also you might want to check the heating pads on the tanks one of mine was coming off. I reattached it using 3m spray adhesive and black gorilla tape for good measure.
Me too on the zip ties and foam.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #9

Model: Vegas
State: Ohio
THOR #9014
loose wires

The zip ties was a good suggestion. Makes me feel silly that I did not think of this. I will look again to see if there is a place to use the zip ties - may not be any other connections, pipe, etc. to attach the tie and the wire.

Tags
loose wires