Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4064
Lost 12v to cigarette lighter

I have 2018 Axis 24.1. I have gps plugged into the lighter. All of a sudden message comes up on the gps that it has lost 12 and going the cut off in 15 seconds. I took volt meter and sure enough no power. Checked the wires to the plug. No power. I figure this should be a chassis fuse. Man are they hard to get to. I checked all the fuses. They are good. Looked in my E-series owners manual. It list cigarette lighter fuse as number 22. I double checked that one and it is good. Hooked gps up to external battery and its good so not a wiring problem with gps cable. I'm at a loss as to where to look now.

roger

Old 02-28-2019, 11:35 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Check the fuse panel located in the storage area on the front left side. Fuse panel box should be on the right when you open the door. Believe it’s a yellow 25 amp fuse labeled as “power point” on schematic. This is where mine is on my 2015 Axis 24.1 for the 12V lighter socket.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Fuse panel there may be different between a 2015 and a 2018 (2015 uses the RV Custom products board, 2018 doesn't).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:16 AM   #4

THOR #4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Check the fuse panel located in the storage area on the front left side. Fuse panel box should be on the right when you open the door. Believe it’s a yellow 25 amp fuse labeled as “power point” on schematic. This is where mine is on my 2015 Axis 24.1 for the 12V lighter socket.

OK I was hoping you were on to something. None of mine are labeled power point. I pulled and checked all of them. All good. Next?

roger
Old 03-01-2019, 12:33 AM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Many 12volt cigar lighter plugs had a fuse inline
Old 03-01-2019, 12:33 AM   #6

THOR #4064
Additional information. My OBD port is also dead. Scan gauge does not work.

Roger
Old 03-01-2019, 01:09 AM   #7

THOR #4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
Many 12volt cigar lighter plugs had a fuse inline

I followed wires til they disappeared into harness and found no inline fuse. This was my number one search.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:14 AM   #8

THOR #1123
Sorry Roger. Was afraid the fuses were located elsewhere on the newer models but figured it was worth a shot. Only other place I know of where there’s another fuse panel (at least on the 2015s) is on the inside firewall above the brake pedal. Would try calling Thor customer service if no one else on this forum has experience with this problem.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:31 AM   #9

THOR #4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Sorry Roger. Was afraid the fuses were located elsewhere on the newer models but figured it was worth a shot. Only other place I know of where there’s another fuse panel (at least on the 2015s) is on the inside firewall above the brake pedal. Would try calling Thor customer service if no one else on this forum has experience with this problem.

I dont see any fuse block on the firewall. Some of my other rv's have had one there. I called Thor the other day and they said the number 72 fuse in the distribution box.

I think that no power on the obd port is a good clue. I just dont know what it points too.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:00 AM   #10

THOR #4064
Actually I did find the firewall fuse block, pulled and tested all and they are good
Old 03-01-2019, 03:25 AM   #11

THOR #4064
I did a search on the a Ford forum and many have had the same problem. The OBD and lighter are on the same circuit. It should be one of the inside bulkhead fuses, but I pulled every one all tested good on the Ohm meter.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #12

THOR #1123
Hope you’ve found your fuse issue by now. If not, maybe go ahead and change out the one that Thor suggested just as an elimination procedure. Good luck.

Im guessing that you’re on the road?
Old 03-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #13

THOR #4064
Unbelievable. The Thor solution is to run a new wire from the lighter to the battery. Oh how I miss the Tiffin MH service.

roger
Old 03-06-2019, 09:44 PM   #14

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
I'm thinking of doing this myself. With the power off, batteries disconnected, you'd clip the tone generator to the Power port's (cig lighter) power lead and ground. Then go to the fuse blocks, touching each fuse, and listening for the loudest tone from the probe. The problem I've had before is the signal "bleeding" to other circuits at the panel. I've not tried it on the MH yet.
There are several devices out there, this had good reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/Extech-TG20-Wire-Tracer-Generator/dp/B00APD16D2/ref=sr_1_22?keywords=wire+tracker&
qid=1551908048&s=hi&sr=1-22

The Fred and Barney way is to make a continuity test. Get a low voltage buzzer tied to 9v battery and add clips to either end. That's clipped to the power lead of the cig lighter and ground. Next, open a paper clip into a narrow "U" like a bobby pin, then pull the fuses insert it into each socket. Take a photo on your phone before pulling the fuses or one at a time.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote