Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2018, 04:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35 M
State: New York
THOR #6832
Loud water pump

Hello all in the start of our second 5 month trip with our 35 m windsport. Love this rig. Got the problems, not that many but has had it problems. From ny ,just passed st Louie now in hays Kansas . Recently have heard a thumping sound when water pump is on. It’s behind the refrigerator. Probably a relay to the kitchen faucet but just guessing. Pressure is great. Actually I think water pressure is better with pump on. Just sitting in a great Walmart in Hays Kan wondering if any one relates. Thanks

Old 10-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I had a thumping issue when operating my water pump. Since my thumping occurred when running either the hot or cold I knew it had to be close to the pump so that narrowed my initial search.

I eventually traced it to a water line leading from the pump that ran into the coach. I couldn't get my head into the area behind the Kant-Leak Panel so I used my cellphone to take several pictures and found a strap that had come loose. This allowed the line to thump against the top of the gray water tank.

Once I found the issue, I was able to get my hand behind this panel and used a "tie" to secure water line...lifting it off the gray water tank. Problem solved.

My guess is your noise is caused by something similar. Probably won't cause a problem but is kind of annoying. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 22b
State: New York
THOR #6388
water pump thumping

I just wanted to quiet the pump operations and cushioned the water lines leading to the pump by wrapping them with the nominal 3/4 thick grey pipe insulation that you can get at any home improvement store. The insulation looks like a long noodle split along the length for ease in installation. The pump didn't need modification since it had rubber isolation cushions between the pump and the floor. The insulation really made a difference and prevented the pipes from banging against the water tank.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I agree with Miramar and El Pirate. Mine was also surging when I was using water. I installed a cheap (and small) expansion tank next to the water pump insulated the the pipes on both sides of the water pump. Much quieter now and awful surging is gone.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote