Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Inside Tire Loses 4lbs Then Stops?

Answer First:
The inside rear tire is supposed to be 80psi cold. It loses 4lbs and then stabilizes at 76lbs.

Does anyone know what's going on? I plan to have it checked at a truck stop, may get an alignment too. I want to seem like I at least have a clue to what may be happening.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Background:
I the tires before I left Columbia Falls, MT and they were all dead on.

I had the RV's oil changed in Butte, MT (BTW, they check ALL the boxes). Their gauge read the rears at 70 when they should be 80. The fronts were still on target.

Since then I've been airing it up and keeping a 'closer' eye on all of them, reading the them every morning after cool-down.

That inside goes to 76 and stays there.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:48 AM   #2

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
You have to monitor the ambient temp as well. The tire pressure will rise or drop, depending on the outside temp. There is no practical reason why one tire would drop 4 PSI and stay there. A leak is a leak.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:56 AM   #3

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
You have to monitor the ambient temp as well. The tire pressure will rise or drop, depending on the outside temp. There is no practical reason why one tire would drop 4 PSI and stay there. A leak is a leak.
I had a car tire that always stopped at 20 lbs. It was a cracked Rubber valve stem.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:58 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Weak spring in the tire valve.

I’ve seen that numerous times with heavy equipment when I was on active duty.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:38 AM   #5

THOR #12189
Thank you

I guess the outside is carrying the weight and keeping me out of 'trouble'. Time to pull it and get it checked.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I just had a situation where one of my inside tires was losing air while the coach was sitting but while driving it would hold steady for an 8 hour drive.

When I got to the campground, I started spraying soapy water all over the tire and then the valve. It turned out the braided line valve extension was leaking at the fitting on the rim. I was able to get a wrench in between the tires and tighten it.

I have since installed the Crossfire Dually Pressure Stabilization system. The braided lines and fittings seem to be much better quality than the valve extension that was installed.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:01 PM   #7

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I just had a situation where one of my inside tires was losing air while the coach was sitting but while driving it would hold steady for an 8 hour drive.

When I got to the campground, I started spraying soapy water all over the tire and then the valve. It turned out the braided line valve extension was leaking at the fitting on the rim. I was able to get a wrench in between the tires and tighten it.

I have since installed the Crossfire Dually Pressure Stabilization system. The braided lines and fittings seem to be much better quality than the valve extension that was installed.
Thanks. Is this it? https://www.raneystruckparts.com/cro...toring-system/

I may have located some and a place to install them. Thanks again.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:20 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Thanks. Is this it? https://www.raneystruckparts.com/cro...toring-system/

I may have located some and a place to install them. Thanks again.

That is the system I installed. Although I have an aftermarket TPMS system so I needed to order this kit because it has the extra ports to install the TPMS sensors.

https://truckpartsworld.net/product/...rts-duplicate/

I think this is a very good upgrade to do on a dually motorhome.

Here is a thread I started with pictures of my installation:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ade-23467.html
Old 09-24-2020, 09:27 PM   #9

THOR #12189
Quote:
That is the system I installed. Although I have an aftermarket TPMS system so I needed to order this kit because it has the extra ports to install the TPMS sensors.

https://truckpartsworld.net/product/...rts-duplicate/

I think this is a very good upgrade to do on a dually motorhome.

Here is a thread I started with pictures of my installation:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ade-23467.html
Thank you. I have full wheel covers, so no lug nut to attach the gauge. Just a nub that looks like a lug nut.

Going to have to replace the valve extenders I guess or come up with a way to bypass the gauge, then question how I would measure air pressure. How do you fill the tires if/when needed?

I also have 80psi out back, so this system 110psi will always give a low false reading if the tires are where they should be.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Inside Tire Loses 4lbs Then Stops?

Quote:
Thank you. I have full wheel covers, so no lug nut to attach the gauge. Just a nub that looks like a lug nut.

Going to have to replace the valve extenders I guess or come up with a way to bypass the gauge, then question how I would measure air pressure. How do you fill the tires if/when needed?

I also have 80psi out back, so this system 110psi will always give a low false reading if the tires are where they should be.

You order the Crossfire for your specific tire pressure. If 80psi is recommend for your tires, you will order one that has an indicator calibrated specifically for 80psi.

Also, I saw an install where they drilled holes into a center hub cap and mounted the indicator on it. You could drill holes in the center of the wheel cover and then put some bolts through from the inside and locked them in place with nuts. Then you can put the mount over the bolts as they will act like studs and then you can bolt it down.

There is a valve in the system for adding air to the tires. One valve will provide air to both tires and give you the ability to measure the exact pressure if you don’t have a TPMS.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:49 PM   #11

THOR #12189
I need to fix the problem and follow this thread for a later upgrade. I really do appreciate your help. I found some straight extenders just down the road from where I am and will have those installed tomorrow.

https://woodlandtravelcenterstore.co...alve-extenders

I saved this URL as a shortcut in my Tips directory. Thanks for chiming in. Will definitely do this when I land in base camp.

Safe Travels to you and yours.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
I need to fix the problem and follow this thread for a later upgrade. I really do appreciate your help. I found some straight extenders just down the road from where I am and will have those installed tomorrow.

https://woodlandtravelcenterstore.co...alve-extenders

I saved this URL as a shortcut in my Tips directory. Thanks for chiming in. Will definitely do this when I land in base camp.

Safe Travels to you and yours.
Glad to help.....

For future reference here is a picture of how someone installed the indicator to their center hub cap. You can also see the valve on the indicator where you add air and check the pressure of you don't have a TPMS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossfire_Ford_Install.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	26287  
Old 09-25-2020, 01:44 AM   #13

THOR #12189
Quote:
Glad to help.....

For future reference here is a picture of how someone installed the indicator to their center hub cap. You can also see the valve on the indicator where you add air and check the pressure of you don't have a TPMS.
Have to think about that one. Like the approach. Centered, so little balancing. I'll sit a while and contemplate. It shows 65. If that's correct, then ok for that application. If not, you get my drift.

Thank you..
Old 10-01-2020, 04:19 AM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #4631
Losing air pressure then stops

Been there done that -with tires less than 5k miles
Turned out inner valve stem core bad. Part costs $3 but took 3 techs to get there!
Old 10-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #15

THOR #12189
Problem Solved

This turned out to be two small punctures in the tread. Seems when the tire got to a certain pressure, it stopped. Weird. Maybe I was sitting on it a few times and air couldn't escape. Don't ask - I don't know.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #4631
Glad resolved!
Old 10-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #17

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbaker View Post
Glad resolved!
Not really. It leaked down to almost nothing in less than 3 days, so this 'fix' made it worse than it was. Buying a new tire. Luckily visiting with friends and they have the tools to lift this thing so I can pull it off and take it to a local tire shop for mount and balance.

Lesson learned: just bite the bullet and buy a new tire. No muss, no fuss. Once and done.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Dually Tire Upgrade

I have since installed the Crossfire Dually Pressure Stabilization system. The braided lines and fittings seem to be much better quality than the valve extension that was installed.[/QUOTE]

After watching the fluctuations in air pressure and temperatures on our TPMS monitor over our last two months (on our trip out west) between the inner and outer "stock Hancook tires". Decided to take Judge's advice and order for the Crossfire system. Installed the 80 psi Crossfire's with the TPMS sensor option on those 225/75/16's this past week. It was a little tricky and required losing all the air in the inner tires, but only took about 2 1/2 hours total, including firing up the compressor and airing back up. Looking forward to our next trip after Turkey Day to test the ride. Thank you Judge
Old 11-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #19

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichFigs View Post

After watching the fluctuations in air pressure and temperatures on our TPMS monitor over our last two months (on our trip out west) between the inner and outer "stock Hancook tires". Decided to take Judge's advice and order for the Crossfire system. Installed the 80 psi Crossfire's with the TPMS sensor option on those 225/75/16's this past week. It was a little tricky and required losing all the air in the inner tires, but only took about 2 1/2 hours total, including firing up the compressor and airing back up. Looking forward to our next trip after Turkey Day to test the ride. Thank you Judge[/QUOTE]

Yuu are welcome sir!

If you installed the straight hose for the inside tire first and had it connected to the Crossfire indicator before starting, you shouldn't have lost all of the air once you got it tightened on the valve stem.

I ended up taking the lug nuts off and pulling the outside tire away from the inside tire to get the braided line on the inside tire easier. It also allowed me to rotate the outer tire valve stem to get it to the best position for both lines.

You are correct..... the braided lines with the Crossfire are infinitely better thn the stock valve extender lines.

I also love the added benefit of only adding air once for both tires.

Good luck!