Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2020, 03:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37GT
State: South Carolina
THOR #14675
Low voltage on Generator

My 2014 Thor Challenger 37GT has the Onan 5500 RVQ generator with about 1100 hours. It has been well maintained and works flawlessly but NEVER charges the batteries up to any more than 12.9volts. As soon as I shut off the generator, the voltage immediately drops to 12.4 and more quickly drops below 12. As soon as I start the chassis V10 engine, I get 13.3-14volts and the same when hooked up to 50amp pedestal. Why can’t my generator give a higher top-off charge? Is there a voltage regulator on the generator or can I adjust something to allow a better charge.

Old 11-12-2020, 03:21 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The generator does not charge your batteries directly - it charges it in the same way SP does; through the converter/charger or inverter/charger.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
You might want to check your battery condition as well
Old 11-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
When your generator is running, can you run the A/C and other 110v appliances without any issues?

If so, as others have said it is likely not your generator but I can see why you are looking in that direction.

When you engine is running, it uses the alternator to charge the house batteries so you are not using your Converter / Charger. When you are on SP, you are now using your Converter / Charger to charge the house batteries.

When the generator is running, it is using the same Converter / Charger circuit to charge the house batteries. If you are truly seeing over 13V when charging with the engine and SP and your battery voltage does not fall off a cliff but you are not getting over 13V with the generator, there could be an issue. But I would expect you would see other signs of voltage issues when running the generator.

I would do what was previously recommended and first test the batteries to verify they are not an issue. If they are several years old and have not been well maintained (by you and by the charger), then they could be a big part of the problem.