Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: South Dakota
THOR #9611
External Sink

I am having a persistent issue with water draining into the sink in the external kitchen. The technical wizards at Camping World couldn't figure it out so they tried to tell me it was over flow from the gray water tank. From the appearance of the water in the sink it looks like it is coming from either the kitchen sink or the bathroom sink. So far I can't tell which. This happens even when at a campsite with campground water, sewer hooked up, and both gray water and black water valves open to the campground sewer. It doesn't happen all the time but about 80% of the time. Anyone else experience this issue?

Old 07-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by USTraveler View Post
I am having a persistent issue with water draining into the sink in the external kitchen. The technical wizards at Camping World couldn't figure it out so they tried to tell me it was over flow from the gray water tank. From the appearance of the water in the sink it looks like it is coming from either the kitchen sink or the bathroom sink. So far I can't tell which. This happens even when at a campsite with campground water, sewer hooked up, and both gray water and black water valves open to the campground sewer. It doesn't happen all the time but about 80% of the time. Anyone else experience this issue?
Sorry cant help you but something you said bothered me. You stated you leave the black and gray tank open when at the campground.

You should not leave the black open It should only be opened when dumping.

If you leave it open the solids will not leave and you will get the dreaded brown pyramid.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #6411
The outside sink is indeed lower than the gray water tank on my coach, as the gray water tank is above the fuel tank. That is why there is a macerater pump on outside sink to pump water up into the gray water tank. On my coach, some nice sole at the factory put a 1.5 inch one way flapper valve in the line to the gray water tank. It is the same flapper valve under the shower drain I would suppose yours could be omitted, sticking or otherwise inoperative. You could try filling the outside sink with hot soapy water a couple times and pumping it out with the macerater and see if it clears your problem
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #4

THOR #9611
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Sorry cant help you but something you said bothered me. You stated you leave the black and gray tank open when at the campground.

You should not leave the black open It should only be opened when dumping.

If you leave it open the solids will not leave and you will get the dreaded brown pyramid.

Jerry
Thanks For the info. I have not heard about the potential problem you mentioned and will be more careful from here on. On a side note, when camped for a period longer than a couple of days I do not leave the tank valves open, preferring to dump them every day or two. But when traveling and just staying in a spot for just 1 to 3 nights I do leave the valves open. We also use tank additives after dumping and before we leave the campground and so far they seem to do a really good job of breaking down the solids and also cleaning the sensors while we are driving. I will monitor things more closely now however. Thanks again for the heads up.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
You don't know what's lurking in the dark. Always let tanks fill mostly full, then dump, regardless of how many days you camp or plan to be there. Don't judge how well they do by what comes out.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #6

THOR #9611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The outside sink is indeed lower than the gray water tank on my coach, as the gray water tank is above the fuel tank. That is why there is a macerater pump on outside sink to pump water up into the gray water tank. On my coach, some nice sole at the factory put a 1.5 inch one way flapper valve in the line to the gray water tank. It is the same flapper valve under the shower drain I would suppose yours could be omitted, sticking or otherwise inoperative. You could try filling the outside sink with hot soapy water a couple times and pumping it out with the macerater and see if it clears your problem
Thanks for the response. What you said about the flapper valve makes me think that something is definitely not normal with my system. I was not aware of the flapper valves existence and frankly was at my wits end as to a possible cause. You response gave me something to zero in on and it certainly seems to make sense as a possible problem. I would like to mention though that the problem also occurs when the gray water tank is empty and the unit is level but that doesn't mean that the water isn't being misdirected for one reason or another, since it does usually follow the path of least resistance. I haven't yet determined if the source of the water is either the bathroom sink, kitchen sink, or both. Fortunately the source is not the toilet. I hadn't realized that the sink was lower than the gray water tank. I am also wondering what the location of the flapper valve is in your unit? Is it in the external sink area or the bathroom area?
Old 07-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #7

THOR #9611
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
You don't know what's lurking in the dark. Always let tanks fill mostly full, then dump, regardless of how many days you camp or plan to be there. Don't judge how well they do by what comes out.
Good point. I will say that the additives resulting blue or green color is much more pleasing to monitor than the original.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #6411
Every model coach is somewhat different. Since my kitchen sink, shower and the outside sink are on the right side of the coach, the plumbing on that side is fairly simple. The flapper valve should be fairly close to the macerater, but exactly where it is I couldn't say for sure. Remove the knife holder in the forward most drawer of the outside kitchen that allows access to the low point drains. You can see the macerater and the pipe going out. My macerator waste pipe goes around the storage compartment and into the bottom of the gray water tank. The valve is as close to the macerator as the pipes routing will allow.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote