Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #18561
Post Main battery disconnect not working?

Hello. I am a new RV owner. I picked up my 2018 Four Winds 28Z on 3/21. During the brief demo (due to coronavirus was hard to really go though in tight quarters) the tech had to replace the house battery due to no power. Brand new battery installed. We drove to the campsite we rented, I turned off the main battery (by entrance steps). A week later we went to check on the RV and load some stuff. Now we started the engine and we had lights etc. We left after 2 hours - and we were not plugged into shore. Yesterday I went to the RV and had no 12v power. The campsite had moved our RV into its spot, but they only drove it and did not turn on inside lights etc. The red light was on the disconnect switch. Our switch is a simple button you push to turn on and off. I pushed the button and the light went off for about 10 seconds, then came back on. Do I need to actually disconnect the battery each time I leave the RV or is it that the disconnect switch just isn’t working. Being the battery was dead when I picked it up I know it wasn’t just an old battery issue. Any help would be appreciated. This is my first RV.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Your RV has a 12 VDC buss for house loads.
Attached to that buss in the 120 VAC to 12 VDC converter/charger. It supplies the loads and charges the batteries IF the batteries are also connected to the buss.
The light by the battery disconnect (also called the USE/STORE switch or salesman switch) lights when there is 12 VDC on the buss. It is NOT an indication of the state of the latching relay which connects the house batteries to the 12 VDC buss.
The latching relay connects the house batteries to the 12 VDC buss and is controlled by the battery disconnect switch.

BUT; if your batteries are too dead, the latching relay will NOT connect the house batteries to the 12 VDC buss as the power to operate the latching relay comes from the batteries. In this case you must charge the batteries externally to operate the latching relay.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:23 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
with your converter breaker off and a 12 volt light on you can tell if the battery disconnect is on or off. If the converter breaker is on you will always have 12 volts on. Unplug from shore power and turn on a 12 volt light and you will know if the disconnect is on or off.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:34 PM   #4

THOR #18561
Thank you. It could just be that there’s enough small items like carbon monoxide, etc drawing the power even with the disconnect off. It sat for a week without anyone being there. If that’s the case, we need to unplug cables when not using. As of May 1st we’ll have shore power so we won’t need to rely on batteries, but I still need to figure out what’s going on so when we boondock or leave it stored for a week at a time.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:22 AM   #5

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
the battery will drain overtime if not plugged in, even with the use/store switch in the off position.
If you can't keep the RV plugged into 120 AC, you can disconnect the battery or add a battery disconnect switch.
another option if stored outdoors are solar panels.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreinig View Post
Thank you. It could just be that there’s enough small items like carbon monoxide, etc drawing the power even with the disconnect off. It sat for a week without anyone being there. If that’s the case, we need to unplug cables when not using. As of May 1st we’ll have shore power so we won’t need to rely on batteries, but I still need to figure out what’s going on so when we boondock or leave it stored for a week at a time.
It hasn’t been said in this thread, but said many times in other battery-related threads on this Forum...
The only way to completely eliminate that “parasitic draw” from the carbon monoxide sensor (or on Class A’s the Axxera Radio) is to add a battery disconnect switch like this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Post-Battery-Master-Disconnect-Switch - $10.95
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0F905725-190A-4687-A16C-DB58C17A18BF.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	23270  
Old 04-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
Just my $0.02 worth.

It's odd that many posts on this subject say that putting the Use/Store switch does not stop the parasitic current draws from things like radio, smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector.

On our 2017 Thor Citation Sprinter, when the switch was toggled to STORE, everything was shut off. No 12v house lights, no radios (including Axxera in dash), back up cameras, indicator lights on CO and smoke detectors were off). After learning the hard way, I always put it in STORE when parking the MH in the storage lot and never had any issues.

Chassis battery had its own disconnect right above the accelerator pedal(had to wait 10 min. after engine shutoff for the ECM to shut down), which cut off parasitic current draws from the remote keyless system, dome lights, ECM, etc.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:47 PM   #8

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
It's odd that many posts on this subject say that putting the Use/Store switch does not stop the parasitic current draws from things like radio, smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector.

On our 2017 Thor Citation Sprinter, when the switch was toggled to STORE, everything was shut off. No 12v house lights, no radios (including Axxera in dash), back up cameras, indicator lights on CO and smoke detectors were off). After learning the hard way, I always put it in STORE when parking the MH in the storage lot and never had any issues.

Chassis battery had its own disconnect right above the accelerator pedal(had to wait 10 min. after engine shutoff for the ECM to shut down), which cut off parasitic current draws from the remote keyless system, dome lights, ECM, etc.
Smoke dect is not on the battery. Self contained battery. Here is a test. Unplug the shore power, Turn off the salesman switch. Go spray some air freshener in front of the lp and CO detector or push the test button.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:02 PM   #9

THOR #18561
Well I bought a battery disconnect switch. As of May 1st I’ll have shore power. It has to be something simple. As I said, the battery was replaced the day we picked up because it was dead during the demo. I just figured it was an old battery. Then when it went dead on us, figured there was an issue. I know the switch was set to store the first time, i figures it out when my husband couldn’t get the radio to shut off when he killed the engine. The first time when I hit the switch the light went out and all the power shut down. Then a week later, no lights or power except for engine battery still worked. Noticed the switch light was on so tried turning off ( put into store position) and light would go out and then come back on again in 5 seconds. I want to figure it out because it’s driving me nuts and this is my first RV so of course I’m learning all the little bugs about it
Old 04-29-2020, 11:10 PM   #10

THOR #15553
The light just tells you that 12 volts is present. Not wither the switch is on or off. To determine on or off you must disconnect from shore power. Turn on an interior 12 volt light, then turn the battery disconnect on or off. Mark the switch when you figure out which is on or off.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:06 AM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post

Definitely a ‘your rig may differ’ item.
Like you, my 2014 Hurricane, the use/store is a complete disconnect. No CO/propane detector or radio draw. Can easily go a month with no issue.

We don’t seem to be in the majority of those reporting. Lol
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:15 AM   #12

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Nevada
THOR #17533
I have a 2017 Thor Chateau 22E. Your latch relay ( master battery disconnect) is stuck in the USE position so the Use/Store momentum switch is activating the relay but the relay will not stay in the off position. . Since your latch relay is stuck in the on position that is why your light will temporarily turn off and then turn right back on and why you had a dead new battery when you thought the master battery disconnect relay was off.
Also the store switch should shut off all parasitic load - even the LP CO monitor - the green/red light should go off. That is the purpose of the relay. In your case since it is defective you can bypass it with your own master disconnect switch but make sure you have bypass the relay ( rewire the battery positive at the relay) otherwise if the relay ever gets stuck in the off position you will not have 12VDC power even with your master switch on. Hope this helps. I had the same problem.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:28 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Nevada
THOR #17533
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Definitely a ‘your rig may differ’ item.
Like you, my 2014 Hurricane, the use/store is a complete disconnect. No CO/propane detector or radio draw. Can easily go a month with no issue.

We don’t seem to be in the majority of those reporting. Lol
I agree with you. The Use/Store switch is a main disconnect switch that does kill all parasitic load in the coach. In the OP's case his relay was not working (stuck in the USE position) so it drained his new battery. That's why the coach light went off but came right back on when he hit the momentum switch. It sent power to the relay and activated the magnetic to pull the little metal rod inside the relay to one side but since it is a momentum switch the temporary current when it went off was not sufficient to keep the metal rod off so it we nd back on and hence the lights came back on. My relay when I took it apart was rusted and would not swing freely so I passed/replaced it with a 100 amp 12volt circuit breaker that I happened to have extra. So now I flip the breaker on/off instead of the "salesman switch".
Old 05-19-2020, 05:25 AM   #14

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
battery

I have a 28z simple with shore power unplugged turn on the lights above the use/store switch, if they come on the switch is on. hit the use/ store switch and if the lights go off the switch is off and on mine the battery's are good at least a month. Turn on switch before plugging in or driving so the battery will charge. Being doing this for the last 4 years or so winter and summer.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:06 AM   #15

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbyid View Post
i have a 28z simple with shore power unplugged turn on the lights above the use/store switch, if they come on the switch is on. Hit the use/ store switch and if the lights go off the switch is off and on mine the battery's are good at least a month. Turn on switch before plugging in or driving so the battery will charge. Being doing this for the last 4 years or so winter and summer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	23802

Tags
dead house batteries, disconnect switch