Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2020, 03:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Wisconsin
THOR #18262
Main Power Switch

I junked my 12v batteries that came with the rv for two trojan 6v wired in series. I know when I am plugged into shore power both the inverter will stay on and the main power switch stays lit up. While plugged in, if I hold down the main power switch for about a second, I hear a clunk type noise under bed by breaker box I am assuming. The main power switch is still lit up, but the voltage on inverter display drops slightly. Then when I hold down switch for a second again, same clunk noise, and voltage goes back up. Something must be getting turned off and on, but I am not sure what. Anyone come across this before or am I crazy.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
That is not your main power switch. It is the battery disconnect switch operating the battery disconnect solenoid. it disconnects the 12 volt battery from the RV electric system. The light is just telling you that 12 volts is present. It does not tell you if it is on or off. If you figure out the off position of the switch remember it. It will not change.

Your main power switch is a 120 volt circuit breaker in the circuit breaker power box. It will be a single 30 amp or a double 50 amp depending on your RV.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:52 PM   #3

State: North Carolina
THOR #21776
Question Main Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
That is not your main power switch. It is the battery disconnect switch operating the battery disconnect solenoid. it disconnects the 12 volt battery from the RV electric system. The light is just telling you that 12 volts is present. It does not tell you if it is on or off. If you figure out the off position of the switch remember it. It will not change.

Your main power switch is a 120 volt circuit breaker in the circuit breaker power box. It will be a single 30 amp or a double 50 amp depending on your RV.
New owner of a 2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, I have this main switch as well with the red light, I hear the click noise as well but if house lights are on they done shut off, the switch returns to its position after letting go. Thanks for your explanation but if it does indeed cut off the battery's VIA solenoid, how come the house lights stay on when no shore power is connected? My owner manual was missing I even downloaded it and it doesn't really talk about this switch but refers to a "master battery disconnect switch" which my coach does not have. So I'm really confused about this switch and what it does. I have just installed a battery kill switch in the battery compartment just so I can finally store it.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:59 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
First: welcome to the forum.
If you push that momentary switch: you hear the latching relay do it's thing. A push of the switch will either connect; or disconnect the batteries. (Depending on what their current status is.)
Try the switch again, and check the lights.
If they're off: your batteries are offline.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:03 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Your interior lights are on the 12 volt system. The use/store switch turns off the coach batteries when in the store position. When you turn it to the use position it allows 12 volt power to flow into the coach. You should turn on that switch when ever you drive the motor home so that the engine alternator will send a charge to those batteries. There should also be a battery disconnect next to the two coach batteries that will also turn off all of the 12 volt battery system. It is a breaker that either has a red or yellow flag that appears when it has tripped. It can be tricky to see in the battery area, but it is there.

Paul
Old 01-09-2021, 06:58 PM   #6

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by slikNSX View Post
New owner of a 2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, I have this main switch as well with the red light, I hear the click noise as well but if house lights are on they done shut off, the switch returns to its position after letting go. Thanks for your explanation but if it does indeed cut off the battery's VIA solenoid, how come the house lights stay on when no shore power is connected? My owner manual was missing I even downloaded it and it doesn't really talk about this switch but refers to a "master battery disconnect switch" which my coach does not have. So I'm really confused about this switch and what it does. I have just installed a battery kill switch in the battery compartment just so I can finally store it.
With the battery disconnect off, and no shore power connected, then no ceiling lights will work!
Old 01-09-2021, 07:01 PM   #7

THOR #21776
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
With the battery disconnect off, and no shore power connected, then no ceiling lights will work!
Yes I'm using my installed manual battery disconnect switch for store mode, not occupied.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:58 PM   #8

THOR #21776
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Your interior lights are on the 12 volt system. The use/store switch turns off the coach batteries when in the store position. When you turn it to the use position it allows 12 volt power to flow into the coach. You should turn on that switch when ever you drive the motor home so that the engine alternator will send a charge to those batteries. There should also be a battery disconnect next to the two coach batteries that will also turn off all of the 12 volt battery system. It is a breaker that either has a red or yellow flag that appears when it has tripped. It can be tricky to see in the battery area, but it is there.

Paul
Thanks for the info, but no I couldn't find any battery disconnect near batteries or any other manual switch, even asked the original owner who said this doesn't have it, so I just went ahead and installed one. No use/store switch, I will check the breaker box last time I checked I didn't see anything marked battery cut-off or store.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:16 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Thanks for the info, but no I couldn't find any battery disconnect near batteries or any other manual switch, even asked the original owner who said this doesn't have it, so I just went ahead and installed one. No use/store switch, I will check the breaker box last time I checked I didn't see anything marked battery cut-off or store.

The device of which he speaks is a circuit breaker not a disconnect switch. It maybe could work as such but (as you’ve discovered) they can be hard to find. If you want a disconnect switch just buy one for about $10 and install it in the system. Or for a bit more you can put it in a more accessible location . On my last coach the batteries were under the steps and I put my disconnect in the adjacent unlocked propane compartment.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:20 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
The use/store switch has been succeeded by the master power switch with it infamous red light. Either switch is found near the entry door. Both do the same thing, disconnect the house batteries from the power center fuse panel (where the 120 volt circuit breakers and most of the 12 volt fuses are found) using a latching relay near the power center. The red light only indicates the switch has power and not the position of the relay.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote