Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2021, 10:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau
State: Arizona
THOR #19458
Maintaining an RV

I have tried to find in the forums if anyone has subscribed to RV Maintenance sites that help you on an annual basis schedule required maintenance whether you do it or the dealer. I have looked at Maintain MY RV and it seems like money well spent with all the various attributes of an RV to maintain and remember when the time is right

Any thoughts as to value? Any better site recommendations?
Thanks
braunski

Old 07-15-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Better to just keep track of it yourself...
It requires a bit of work on your part; but that will keep you better informed of it's condition.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:03 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Spreadsheets are your friend.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:30 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I use Maintain My RV which is part of RV Life. Well worth the subscription
Old 07-16-2021, 02:46 AM   #5

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
My owners manual has 5 1/2 pages of a maintenance schedule. every trip, monthly, 3 month, 6 month, every year, and prior to storage.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:41 AM   #6

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by braunski View Post
I have tried to find in the forums if anyone has subscribed to RV Maintenance sites that help you on an annual basis schedule required maintenance whether you do it or the dealer. I have looked at Maintain MY RV and it seems like money well spent with all the various attributes of an RV to maintain and remember when the time is right

Any thoughts as to value? Any better site recommendations?
Thanks
braunski
If you dump the Flood Lead Acid batteries in favor of maintenance free AGM, change oil & filter in both Engine & Generator, winterize the coach, & add new spark plugs you pretty much can call it a day for a few years
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:45 AM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
If you dump the Flood Lead Acid batteries in favor of maintenance free AGM, change oil & filter in both Engine & Generator, winterize the coach, & add new spark plugs you pretty much can call it a day for a few years
Other than the long list of items that should at least be inspected monthly or a couple times a year.
If you're only doing those couple chassis related items mentioned you're asking for problems on the rv portion.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:29 AM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Other than the long list of items that should at least be inspected monthly or a couple times a year.
If you're only doing those couple chassis related items mentioned you're asking for problems on the rv portion.

OP asked "help you on an annual basis schedule required maintenance whether you do it or the dealer. "

I guess I could say I left out Air Filter for Engine & Generator, but yup that is pretty much it for me. You mentioned inspections which happens naturally for me via the State Inspection process, year around use of the RV and my personal chronic habit of washing and waxing the RV personally including the roof and eyeballing sealants.

Now I do use that RV Checklist app, but it is to help me to remember what to pack; so I don't forget things that I may need on any given trip. i.e. I add my home 6 gal Botsch compressor (too cheap for V-air), wet/dry vac, 100ft 3/4" sewer hose to go with Macerator pump etc.

What am I missing, I am @year 2 & 15,000 miles? I even bought a TPMS because I found it easier to say you had one on this site versus why you felt you didn't need Regardless of what the TPMS says, I check all tires for Mfg yellow sticker specification of 82 psi before every trip, I weigh what I weigh which is unknown, and I always eyeball my tires while getting gas.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Checking the roof for potential leaks comes to mind...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:05 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Checking the roof for potential leaks comes to mind...
Oh Bob read the %^&@ post

You missed above where I said "my personal chronic habit of washing and waxing the RV personally including the roof and eyeballing sealants."

I will be honest, I was afraid to get up on the roof, but I have passed that newbie phase and it is no problem now, I still carry a parachute and tip toe up there; but I do go up there to look around
Old 07-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #11

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
OP asked[I][COLOR="DarkRed"]

What am I missing, I am @year 2 & 15,000 miles?
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #12

Model: Aria 3401
THOR #22245
Quote:

You missed above where I said "my personal chronic habit of washing and waxing the RV personally including the roof and eyeballing sealants."

I will be honest, I was afraid to get up on the roof, but I have passed that newbie phase and it is no problem now, I still carry a parachute and tip toe up there; but I do go up there to look around
Thor recommends washing top q 6 months and inspection of all roof top sealants.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:24 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
Thor recommends washing top q 6 months and inspection of all roof top sealants.
I am really getting confused because it seems like you missed it to?

This is now the 3rd time in this thread where I have said "my personal chronic habit of washing and waxing the RV personally including the roof and eyeballing sealants." I far exceed Thor's recommendation. I don't need a checklist to remind me to wash and wax RV and Roof. I use RV Wash & Wax monthly and Mequire's Pure Wax #56 (fiberglass roof) twice a year. I don't ever use a pressure washer sprayer on any parts of the RV, and when I am washing the roof I am checking all sealants was the point.

In short with exception of pressure washer use, I take care of my RV just like my cars, motorcycles and boat. It is just bigger

I listed all of the things that I do yearly for maintenance including roof, did I miss something? It is not that complicated is / was my point. Some things should be obvious if you use your coach, like check air pressure, battery water etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210619_200125 rotate.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	32103  
Old 07-17-2021, 05:12 PM   #14

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Following the published guidelines from the respective manuals is usually what i do. I don't do anything extra but do observe very carefully all components of the Tuscany especially prior and on trips.

There is nothing that is going to bit you from missing a schedule a bit however if something like a tree branch hits the roof in a campsite then you get up there and look

You can be very flexible and not have a single issue
Old 07-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:

. My bad... I did miss that one.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:51 PM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
. My bad... I did miss that one.
Sooner or later, out of 21,104 posts, there was gonna be a mishap. Time caught up with you. Just keep on Trucking, I mean RV'ing
Old 07-17-2021, 06:55 PM   #17

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Maintaining it will always make things last longer. Maintenance can also vary if you live in it full time vs having it stored most of the time.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:55 AM   #18

THOR #6433
The Thor/Togo app has a Maintenance schedule for your RV
Old 07-21-2021, 09:19 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
It is real easy to maintain an RV and keep track of that maintenance. I took the list found in the owners manual and used OpenOfficeCalc to create a work book. One sheet in the work book for chassis stuff, one for coach stuff, a third for manufacturers defects and finally one for stuff that broke after the warranty period. Easy as pie and totally free.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:38 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I know how to make it even easier: just write large checks frequently to your favorite dealership...