Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #1414
Maximum safe city water pressure? (adjustable regulator)

So.. I saw somewhere on this site that I could order an adjustable water pressure regulator, and jumped on it. I'm wondering, what is the appropriate setting for how much water pressure I can safely run into the coach (Four winds 31W 2015)?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You set it once and forget it, approximately 55 lbs is normal.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #3

THOR #1414
Thanks! 55 lbs it is. I'm hoping that will be a little more pressure than the previous cheap non-adjustable pressure regulator allowed
Old 06-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubravsky View Post
Thanks! 55 lbs it is. I'm hoping that will be a little more pressure than the previous cheap non-adjustable pressure regulator allowed
The pre-sets are all set to about 45psi, which was not enough for consistent hot water from our demand hot water heater. I went to the adjustable, have it set for about 53psi, all is well with the hot water system now. Don't go over 55psi, but that should be ok to protect your plumbing.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #5

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Running at 55 you would certainly be safe. I recently found mine out of adjustment and reading just under 100, so the system could probably handle more. If your pressure is still a little low I wouldn't be afraid of having it set at 60.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Normal city pressures range from 50 to 65 so anything in that area should be good. The pex piping in your rv is rated at 100+, but the cheap fittings they used probably aren't.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Your problems will come in, with as mentioned, cheap fittings, and the skill level of the guy that put it together on the assembly line. Seems like 90% of the plumbing leak problems I have had in RV's and brick & mortar houses are the result of incorrectly assembled fittings.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #8

THOR #1414
Makes sense.... thanks for the info!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
The adjustable pressure regulators are exactly that, actual pressure regulators. The cheap so called regulators are not actual regulators but only flow restrictors. You should be very satisfied with the higher priced regulators as am I. You can see the difference especially when you flush a toilet. Just remember to not leave the regulator behind at the campground.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #10

THOR #5196
Valterra makes a high flow regulator in brass or stainless that is set to 50-55 psi, much cheaper and no adjustments. I've had a high flow stainless for quite some time and have never experienced any flow problems.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:32 PM   #11

THOR #1414
I picked up one by Renator ... nice and heavy- brass. Looks like a decent regulator. Looking forward to testing it out....
Old 06-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #12

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Valterra makes a high flow regulator in brass or stainless that is set to 50-55 psi, much cheaper and no adjustments. I've had a high flow stainless for quite some time and have never experienced any flow problems.
If you're talking about the "regulator" that's about 3-4" long in brass or stainless, that's a restrictor not a regulator regardless of what it says on the package. It simply restricts/chokes the flow & I think you'd find whether you use the 'high flow' model's set at 50 -55 or the standard 40-45 model that the flow is exactly the same & if used regularly for a couple seasons will totally restrict the flow. The regulator does exactly that, it "regulates" the pressure not the flow, only need to set it once to 50-55 & done.
I'm not trying to sell regulators, use what you want, but Valterra/Camco/whoever shouldn't call them "regulators" they are RESTRICTORS.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:14 AM   #13

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
If you're talking about the "regulator" that's about 3-4" long in brass or stainless, that's a restrictor not a regulator regardless of what it says on the package. It simply restricts/chokes the flow & I think you'd find whether you use the 'high flow' model's set at 50 -55 or the standard 40-45 model that the flow is exactly the same & if used regularly for a couple seasons will totally restrict the flow. The regulator does exactly that, it "regulates" the pressure not the flow, only need to set it once to 50-55 & done.
I'm not trying to sell regulators, use what you want, but Valterra/Camco/whoever shouldn't call them "regulators" they are RESTRICTORS.
While I agree to a certain extent, a properly designed regulator/restrictor should not restrict flow to the extent it will be a problem. Old style, and I'm talking many years, did restrict flow considerably, newer models cause minimal if any reduction in flow. The high flow model I have causes virtually zero flow reduction, I always have it on my hose and have used it with a sprayer and have noticed no reduction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0120.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	5370
Old 06-21-2017, 03:23 PM   #14

THOR #1414
Here's what I bought......

Renator M11-0660R Water Pressure Regulator. Brass Lead-free Adjustable Water Pressure Regulator with Gauge for RV, and Inlet Screened Filter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Good choice. Suggest you attach it to your coach water fitting so you don't accidentally leave it behind.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #16

THOR #1414
Good idea... I'll be sure to do that.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #17
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Good choice. Suggest you attach it to your coach water fitting so you don't accidentally leave it behind.
After attaching to CG water connection to 'protect my hose' - and eventually 'donating' it to the next resident of the campsite - - the expense of the first hose is minimal... Attaching just before the exterior water filter now. If the exterior hose bursts - the water will all be outside...

BTW - just a note for those with older rigs (not sure where the difference was... sometime after 2000 I believe) - they are not designed for the higher pressures of 50-60psi... which is why the original regulators/restrictors were set to 40ish... Newer rigs are fine with the higher pressure (to a point of course). I always used the lower pressure one on my 2000 Infinity.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote