Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #2091
Expectations

Help me out. Are my expectations too high, is this a typical experience?

We took in our new Thor Super C for some minor repairs and adjustments. Nothing major, we are very happy with it.

Three weeks later (and multiple unreturned phone calls) the service writer tells me that none of the parts are in yet and as such, none of the repairs have been made.

I have nothing to compare this to other than automobile ownership and find this to be completely shocking, that they could have the RV on site for three weeks and make no repairs at all?

We have a trip to Florida planned for a week from now and none of the repairs will be done prior to then.

So am I expecting too much, or is this typical in the RV business.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
You can do a search here and other websites and find "horror stories" where owners have had to leave their RVs at the dealership for months before getting them fixed. And even then, it may not be fixed properly.

The sad truth is the RV industry as a whole is a pretty shoddy operation. There are a few bright spots here and there, but the bad experiences seem to outweigh the good ones by a wide margin.

From those experiences, RV owners - at least those a bit handy - often do the repairs themselves. This should not be necessary, as the RV industry should be better than that, but that is the state of things.

Also, some handy owners that do their own repairs can sometimes get the manufacturer to ship the parts to them rather than the dealer.

Of course, after the first year of ownership, you'll be wanting to know how to repair things yourself anyway.

Which is why my tagline states: The only thing that works on a RV is the owner...
Old 05-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomare View Post
....Three weeks later (and multiple unreturned phone calls) the service writer tells me that none of the parts are in yet and as such, none of the repairs have been made.
That is typical of all RV service departments. They are NOT organized, nor do they operate like a car dealer's service department.

I like to think that RV service departments are where the big foam fingers originated. They will always point the blame at everyone else such as the manufacturer's corporate warranty office, the manufacturer's parts department, their own parts department, their technicians, "the industry", and they will try to blame you. They will take no responsibility for the time delays that they directly cause.

They feel more comfortable keeping their hourly repair technicians occupied by being able to leisurely pick and choose what to work on, as long as it's sitting on their lot. That's why they prefer that you "just leave it".

The "trick" to getting RV warranty work done in a timely manner is to take away the scheduling task from the service writer, and the dealer's service department. Only agree to return your RV for service on the exact day that the work will be performed.

I am what RV service writers call the "nightmare customer"! I will do their job for them, better than they do it. And, it won't take me more than a few minutes a day while I drink a cup of coffee at my office in the morning.

This is the process:

Introduce yourself to the dealership owner and/or General Manager, and get to know him/her on a first name basis. I also let them know how I plan to monitor my warranty service. This is helpful later, when their service writers and department managers are complaining to the owner/GM.

Then, coordinate with the parts department that your replacement parts, (after having been authorized), are in stock. Verify with the RV manufacturer that they have sent notice of authorization to the dealer's service department. Verify that the dealer's service writer acknowledges that the authorization has been received. Coordinate when the factory trained technician is available to do the work, and has reviewed the received parts ahead of time, (you might have to meet with him mat the parts counter). Only then do you schedule an exact date and time to bring in your RV.

Unfortunately, I have been though this exercise with a Fleetwood PopUp, a Jayco Travel Trailer, a Fleetwood Pace Arrow MH, a Winnebago Vista MH, and now a Thor MH. All brands, and different dealers acted EXACTLY THE SAME when it came time for warranty service.

And, the most fun, (and comically aggravating), part about all this is that I paid the full purchase price for a new RV each time!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #4

THOR #2091
Well it's good to know that others feel my pain. Beacher, your disruption is just what I've experienced to date. All parts and repairs approved by Thor, but no parts in and a departure time of next week.

I stupidly assumed that it would be ready four weeks after drop off.

I guess live and learn but if I was running the place I'd be honest about the process with the customer and keep them up to date, not dodge phone calls, fail to return them and oh yeah, blame the parts desk.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Help me out. Are my expectations too high, is this a typical experience?

We took in our new Thor Super C for some minor repairs and adjustments. Nothing major, we are very happy with it.

Three weeks later (and multiple unreturned phone calls) the service writer tells me that none of the parts are in yet and as such, none of the repairs have been made.

I have nothing to compare this to other than automobile ownership and find this to be completely shocking, that they could have the RV on site for three weeks and make no repairs at all?

We have a trip to Florida planned for a week from now and none of the repairs will be done prior to then.

So am I expecting too much, or is this typical in the RV business.
After 20 days, notify Thor in writing at the address provided in the warranty. This puts Thor on notice, gets them directly involved, and gives them one final attempt to get the repair corrected. When you send the written notice call Thor and let them know it's on the way. This way they know they have a problem.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
Whenever I need to have service done I make the appointment and I also put them on notice as to the date I need to have the RV back. I have done this ever since I had a popup. Like was previously mentioned, make sure you make the effort let management and the owner know who you are. I have never had a problem getting my rig back when needed. Then again the owner and service manager know if it is not ready I will coming to them. Of course the RV dealer I work with is pretty good.
2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Very typical, best is do whatever repairs you can and what you cant try to find a mobile tech who will come to you or a service center that does rv repair and doesn't care who's brand it is. Dealers are notorious for holding your coach for weeks or months and just letting it sit. This is the dumbest theory I can think of. Why don't they just call 2 days ahead of time and say have it here or go back in the line! They get paid way to much and do way to little and care about the customer WAY TO NONE!

PS: if none of the repairs are critical for use I would go pick it up~
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
My experience was the same, RV dealers are nothing like car dealers. I had to wait 3 weeks before some little parts came in, guess the parts order system must be archaic, who knows. I was told by the dealer it would be 2 weeks before they could even get it in, I said I will bring it in 2 weeks, they said no, it has to be here for 2 weeks! They did get it in within 1 week of me dropping it off, I think they give long lead times just in case..
Old 05-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #9

THOR #2091
Just called them and requested keys as RV is doing a shake down run to Florida on Monday. Told them to let us know when the parts are in and they are ready to make repairs.

In the meantime a letter has been sent to Thor since it's been with this dealer for over 20 days.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #10

THOR #1620
Quote:
Just called them and requested keys as RV is doing a shake down run to Florida on Monday. Told them to let us know when the parts are in and they are ready to make repairs.

In the meantime a letter has been sent to Thor since it's been with this dealer for over 20 days.
Not much Thor can do about it. Its a game you have to play and it forces you to find a repair person you like and trust. I would never trust what a dealer said they fixed. Just my personal opinion.

If I were you I would look on google and see if there are any mobile tech guys.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #11

State: South Carolina
THOR #1836
Repair Time

We bought our RV in December 2014, it took until March before the original problems we found were done. Now waiting for other warranty work to be taken care of. As soon as it's out of warranty, I'm going back to a great RV parts and service company we have in Lexington, S.C. If you are ever in the area and need work done, Tony's RV Parts and Service are great. We used to take our old RV there. They were quick, efficient, and I never felt I was overcharged for anything I had done to our rig. Great people, friendly.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #12

State: South Carolina
THOR #1836
You do everything you can to expedite the repairs. Only problem, we all buy single motorhomes. So the reality is the dealers who buy thousands of MH to resell are the ones who need to pressure Thor and other MH makers into taking responsibility to move on warranty repairs. If anyone can think of a way to light a fire under them let me know, then maybe we could enjoy our RV for longer than 30 days out of 160.....it's got to get better!!!!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:22 PM   #13

THOR #2091
Got it home. Went to Level it and the leveling system no longer works. You're not supposed to put the slider out until after it's leveled, so I don't know if it's safe to put the slide out.

On a positive note this is so much more stable than I Jayco ever was
Old 05-28-2015, 11:37 PM   #14

THOR #1620
Quote:
Got it home. Went to Level it and the leveling system no longer works. You're not supposed to put the slider out until after it's leveled, so I don't know if it's safe to put the slide out.

On a positive know this is so much more stable than I Jayco ever was
I call horse hockey on that theory! There are thousands of Rv's if not millions that don't even have leveling systems and have slides. I put my slide out quite often without the jacks down.
I wouldn't worry, use the rv and enjoy!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:58 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
None of the Axis/Vegas units have leveling systems and all have some sort of slide mechanism in them.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:14 AM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

On a positive know this is so much more stable than I Jayco ever was
If you can't figure out why the leveling system is not functioning use leveling blocks under the tires. That is how I leveled my Class C for three years. Also, I figured out that if it was level enough to comfortably walk around inside it was level enough.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-29-2015, 12:32 AM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

The problem is you took Thor's ability to intervene away when you requested the keys to the unit. You requesting the keys is basically a stop work notice to the dealer. Per the warranty you should have given Thor the opportunity to make it right after the twenty day period. Now when you take it back the clock starts from day one.

Also, I have found that often times what we blame on Thor is actually the dealer's actions. I have taken my prior coach to a dealer for a scheduled appointment and it took them 5 days before they even took the coach in to verify the problem. The same dealer on another occasion had my unit finished and then waited 5 days to notify me it was done and ready for pick up. That same dealer always required 2 trips. The first to fix the original problem and then a second to fix what they broke when fixing the first problem.

My current coach has not been back to the dealer since I bought it. I have fixed all of the small issues and the one major item was handled by a mobile tech in Charleston SC during my shakedown cruise.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-29-2015, 01:03 AM   #18

THOR #2091
They were fine with brining it back when parts are in.

My fear now is that they have damaged the leveling system.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:18 AM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
They were fine with brining it back when parts are in.

My fear now is that they have damaged the leveling system.
Have you checked the breaker for the leveling system? My coach has a 100 Amp breaker between the batteries and the hydraulic pump motor and if that breaker is tripped the Jacks will not work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Batt Compartment and stairwell.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	466

In the photo the breaker is just to the left of the batteries. The black cable coming off the left side of the breaker runs over to the leveling jack motor.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-29-2015, 02:05 AM   #20

THOR #2091
Thanks for the tip. Will look