Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #3770
Water Leak

Several times we have a a small amount of water come out of the roof above the drivers seat. Water comes out of the hole for the cable to the forward bed in our 2016 Thor Vegas 24.1.

I think it's AC condensation, do not see any degraded sealant/caulking on the roof. The yellow prisms for the coach lights have condensation in them. And are fully sealed. Then drain holes in the AC are clear, no blockage.

It doesn't happen all the time, I think when we camp with the front angled down a little is when it happens. And we have been without a rainy day for a month. You can see that by the dust on the coach. We spent a week in Seattle without rain, seriously.

The issue we are having is that we are now in Oregon heading to the Sacremento area, not near where we bought the coach in Fort Lauderdale. All the RV places that Thor lists either are not taking new clients, or can see us in a month or so. Not good for travelers.

Thor customer service is no help. Thor will cover roof leakage for 90 days after delivery to the dealer!

Old 08-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Welcome to the world of if you didn't buy it here we can't help you.

See if the A/C condensate is pooling around the tv antenna base. If it is, any camping supply will have Dicor Self Leveling sealant. You will need to make the repair yourself or pay a mobile rv service to do it for you.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #3

THOR #3770
That's our plan, once we get somewhere for a week or so.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #4

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Water leak

Paul_Leslie,

I read your comment about Thor limiting roof coverage to 90 days after delivery to the dealer. I didn't see that provision in my paperwork for my 2016 Synergy so I'm wondering what's going on?

Good luck with the situation though.
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:05 PM   #5

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Where in the warranty does it say leaks are only covered 90 days?
Old 08-03-2016, 01:44 AM   #6

THOR #3770
90 day

The customer service rep at Thor said that we only had 90 day days to get it fixed under warranty. We haven't fully looked at the wording, but have a scheduled service time next week. The rep sounded a little stressed when we talked to him. We have water stains on the curtain by the drivers side, had no luck getting an appointment to look at it, and he had no answers on how to fix it. Tough position to be in.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:53 AM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #2123
Where are you now?
Old 08-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #8

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Water Leak

Paul_Leslie,

Unless your motorhome falls under the following excerpt from Thor's "What the Period of Coverage Is", you should have 12 months or 15,000 miles if you are the original owner, et. al.

If the motorhome is not of the current or prior model year when you take delivery of the motorhome OR you register your new motorhome in a business name or use your motorhome for any commercial or business purposes other than for rental purposes, the duration of the limited warranty ends ninety (90) days after you first take delivery of the motorhome or after the odometer reaches 5,000 miles, whichever occurs first

So, the Customer Service contact may not have been having a good day! If you trust your selling dealership (some folks do, some don't) you aught to give them a call and relate your story to them.

Best wishes on getting the leak repaired.
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The section of the warranty "What is Not Covered" addresses items such as exterior sealing those those items consider normal wear and tear.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #10

State: Oregon
THOR #5008
I had a similar problem with my 2015 Thor Axis and it turned out to be loose screws in the roof lamps. There is really no seal on those except tightening them down. I may put some silicone on and around mine.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:04 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think what Thor is meaning is that you have 90 days to get it repaired, not a 90 day warranty. They want to make sure that the leak does not continue to cause damage to other items if you take your time getting it repaired. Like insurance, once you see a leak, you must act quickly to minimize further damage... (or similar wording below)....
" Don’t wait for an insurance adjuster before you start making temporary repairs. Leaking roofs should be fixed right away so the insurance company cannot dismiss some claims as the result of waiting too long to do so. "
Old 08-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #12

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
When my yellow rooftop clearance lights had condensation in them they were leaking. Slight drip at the map light inside.
Dealer removed lens and re-sealed. No condensation and no leak.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:25 AM   #13

THOR #3770
Had the service department at Camping World Sacremento check it out. Sprayed water on the roof, no leak. I had done a visual on the orange lenses, and they had good sealing.

They found that the 120 VAC cable to the compressor was leaning against the condenser. Theory being condensed water could run down the cable into the cab. They moved the cable, fixed a couple of minor issues and thanked us for choosing them.

I found them very helpful, and recommend them. Brad the service manager was very helpful.

No leaks since them. Only one minor rain storm, so waiting on getting back south.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:38 AM   #14

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Water leak

I had leak around clearance lights too, little bit of silicone fixed it. I also drilled small drain hole in bottom of lense, water would build up, short out bulb, and drip in through wire hole..
Old 08-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #15

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Texas
THOR #5147
What about mold/mildew issues later on?
2016 Thor ACE 27.1
m0rstar is offline   Reply With Quote