Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
MaxxForce Diesel Question

I need help from someone out there who has a Serrano with the 6.4L MaxxForce Diesel engine. My oil dipstick broke off in the tube and i need to replace it. Could someone pull your dipstick and copy the part number off the stick and also meaure the length of the dipstick from the yellow handle to the tip that goes into the motor? The stick is not a standard length for all 6.4L engines. Workhorse changed out the part and we haven't been able to come up with the correct one yet. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:45 AM   #2

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
I need help from someone out there who has a Serrano with the 6.4L MaxxForce Diesel engine. My oil dipstick broke off in the tube and i need to replace it. Could someone pull your dipstick and copy the part number off the stick and also meaure the length of the dipstick from the yellow handle to the tip that goes into the motor? The stick is not a standard length for all 6.4L engines. Workhorse changed out the part and we haven't been able to come up with the correct one yet. Thanks.
Maxxforce is and engine made by international,either use the vin# or engine serial number and they can look at the build sheet for that specific engine with part numbers, Any international truck dealer can do that, or let me know last 8 digits of the vin I can log into to international's parts and look it up myself.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:08 AM   #3

THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
Maxxforce is and engine made by international,either use the vin# or engine serial number and they can look at the build sheet for that specific engine with part numbers, Any international truck dealer can do that, or let me know last 8 digits of the vin I can log into to international's parts and look it up myself.
Part number for below dipstick 1841309C2 Does your dipstick look like this
Old 03-25-2019, 03:39 AM   #4

THOR #8144
Thank you for your response and help. I contacted my local International dealer and they did track down the part numbers for the dipstick and tube. However, after asking for more specific details, we found out that the length of the part described in their parts lists were all considerably shorter than mine. The suggestion from them was to contact Workhorse/Navistar since they installed the engine in their chassis and it was quite common for them to change out the dipstick since it had to be accessible from the front of the MH. I did find out that the dipstick was supplied by a third party supplier, Orscheln, Ind. Knowing that, if you have further suggestions, please feel free to let me know. Also, no photo showed up on your post. Thanks again for you help. I really do appreciate it. Ford1
Old 03-26-2019, 12:24 AM   #5

THOR #12726
Quote:
Thank you for your response and help. I contacted my local International dealer and they did track down the part numbers for the dipstick and tube. However, after asking for more specific details, we found out that the length of the part described in their parts lists were all considerably shorter than mine. The suggestion from them was to contact Workhorse/Navistar since they installed the engine in their chassis and it was quite common for them to change out the dipstick since it had to be accessible from the front of the MH. I did find out that the dipstick was supplied by a third party supplier, Orscheln, Ind. Knowing that, if you have further suggestions, please feel free to let me know. Also, no photo showed up on your post. Thanks again for you help. I really do appreciate it. Ford1
Well I suppose at this point the best thing to do would be to remove the fill tube which would let you get the dipstick out and see if the part number is stamped on the stick,the tube should have a clamp in the upper half and 1 at the bottom where it meets the oil pan and is sealed with a o-ring, using a pulling twisting motion the tube should come out, and when reinstalling lube the o-ring with clean motor oil and push twist it back in.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:47 AM   #6

THOR #8144
Well SIMIDRM, thanks again for your response and suggestions. Not being one who will sit around for too long without brainstorming solutions, we did remove the dipstick tube yesterday and extracted the remaining portion of the broken dipstick. Found that the spot where the stick was having trouble passing through was where the lower tube mounting bracket was welded to the tube. Apparently one of the spot welds actually goes through the tube and a very rough spot or possibly some slag is causing the obstruction. That weld is about 10" above the point where the tube goes in to the block/sump. We tried to wear it down on the inside and afterward it seemed to be better. Have reinstalled it and am now waiting for the new dipstick to arrive. (BTW no number was stamped on the stick...of course)
Again, I really appreciate your quick response and counsel. Don't go too far away because you seem to be a very good resource on the International engine and your expertise may be needed again in the future. THANKS AGAIN! Ford1 signing out!!!
Old 03-31-2019, 10:49 PM   #7

THOR #12726
Quote:
Well SIMIDRM, thanks again for your response and suggestions. Not being one who will sit around for too long without brainstorming solutions, we did remove the dipstick tube yesterday and extracted the remaining portion of the broken dipstick. Found that the spot where the stick was having trouble passing through was where the lower tube mounting bracket was welded to the tube. Apparently one of the spot welds actually goes through the tube and a very rough spot or possibly some slag is causing the obstruction. That weld is about 10" above the point where the tube goes in to the block/sump. We tried to wear it down on the inside and afterward it seemed to be better. Have reinstalled it and am now waiting for the new dipstick to arrive. (BTW no number was stamped on the stick...of course)
Again, I really appreciate your quick response and counsel. Don't go too far away because you seem to be a very good resource on the International engine and your expertise may be needed again in the future. THANKS AGAIN! Ford1 signing out!!!
Your welcome but out of the 4 most used engines it is the maxforce I hate working on the most, They are all around a very badly designed engine in the heavy duty trucks with egr cooler problems, turbo wastegate issue, and a general lack of power, and they quit making them for a few years but I see they are back again, I do have access through work all diagrams for cummins, Detroit and maxforce engines.