Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Siesta 24ST
State: Ohio
THOR #15089
Mercedes Benz of Ft. Mitchell KY

Had my 2018 Siesta 24ST MB Sprinter "A" service done today: an oil change and general fluid & general inspection due at 20K mi (though I had it done early at 12.8k). Knew from blogs to expect a shock of $3-400, and was ok with that. When the bill arrived, it was $674.48, and listed the "A" service PLUS a $260 "fuel filter replacement". The paperwork FALSELY claimed that I had REQUESTED this replacement (as if anyone would request such a thing when the maintenance schedule doesn't call for it.) Not only did I request NOTHING but the "A" service, but even told them they could skip some of that regarding tire pressure, since I had a monitoring system and knew it was unnecessary. This organization would appear to believe that anyone who owns a Mercedes is "fair game". BEWARE: If you go here, make them sign before they start EXACTLY what you've requested and to perform nothing else. Anyone who would falsely claim a "customer request" for a $260 (!!) fuel filter is to be treated with maximum caution.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:05 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
What did the copy of the service document say?
The one you signed prior to having any service done?
I think the signed pre-service estimate document is so common its even law in some states....
(and there is NO way anyone in their right mind would skip anything on a checklist like tire pressure without a full written statement from you.)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Did you "walk this issue" up the line to the shop owner?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:11 PM   #4

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Sprinter maintenance schedule also requires:
Additional Service:
20K miles or 1 year-Re-torque rear axle U-bolts (one time)
At 20,000 miles or 1 year replace Fuel Filter with water separator

However I agree it should have been on your service authorization..

FWIW- Required maintenance
Every 2 years Replace brake fluid and
40,000 miles or 2 years, replace transmission fluid and filter (Then every 3 years)

Going rate here for fuel filter change is $240(Freightliner) to $409 (MB dealer)
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
Sprinter maintenance schedule also requires:
Additional Service:
20K miles or 1 year-Re-torque rear axle U-bolts (one time)
At 20,000 miles or 1 year replace Fuel Filter with water separator

However I agree it should have been on your service authorization..

FWIW- Required maintenance
Every 2 years Replace brake fluid and
40,000 miles or 2 years, replace transmission fluid and filter (Then every 3 years)

Going rate here for fuel filter change is $240(Freightliner) to $409 (MB dealer)
My 2009 VW Jetta TDI also requires a fuel filter replacement at 20,000 mile intervals; however, the filter cartridge replacement is about $22.00.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #6

THOR #15089
Ducksface: NOTHING was signed before the work! I asked for an "A" service, and they did it. Nothing in writing till the bill arrived. And that paperwork listed the "A" service as item A, and the fuel filter as a separate item B, with the added language "customer requested". I did not.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #7

THOR #15089
I didn't raise it with a supervisor or argue: The paperwork was handed to me by the billing clerk, and the service man was not present. I was less interested in a fight than in letting others know that, when they request an "A" service that people report costs around $400 (as mine did), they better get it in writing. The fuel filter is not part of the "A" service. Had they discussed it with me and recommended that it should nevertheless be replaced as well, I suspect I would have told them to go ahead. But I did not request it, and it was not discussed.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
My "A" service about $650.00 at the dealership but I had a written work order with everything on it. When the service tech told me the price, I questioned him about it since my previous MB Sprinter "A" service was about $250.00 less a couple of years earlier. He told me that the manufacturer has changed what needs to be done and the fuel filter is now required. I had my service done around 18,000 miles which was about 2,000 miles less than when it was set for because I had gone way past the total number of days. I could have waited until the 20,000 mile mark but didn't want to chance it right now.

Paul
Old 06-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Service Cost

Just thought I would add that although I have no idea how it goes in your particular state, in CA it is state law that when a vehicle comes in for any kind of service it is required that the tire pressures be checked. That's the way it really is. Just my opinion but dealerships, no matter the brand, are notorious for packaging of their maintenance related services. If you don't want to deal with it again, I would highly suggest a privately run service center.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:40 PM   #10

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2777 View Post
Ducksface: NOTHING was signed before the work! I asked for an "A" service, and they did it. Nothing in writing till the bill arrived. And that paperwork listed the "A" service as item A, and the fuel filter as a separate item B, with the added language "customer requested". I did not.
Odd. Every auto dealer I’ve ever gone to had me sign the work authorization before they took the keys.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
If the fuel filter is required at 20,000 miles and you brought it in for service at 20,000 miles I’m not really surprised that they did it. After owning an Audi, a BMW and finally a Mercedes I took an oath never again to own another European vehicle. Even including VW. The service nut is just to big! My Ford V10 is literally the easiest engine on the planet for an oil change and it costs me $50 with Mobil1. The low service costs offset the rather poor gas mileage!
Old 06-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #12

THOR #15089
I didn't bring it in for service at 20,000 miles; I brought it in for the "A" service specifically, at 13,000 miles. Nothing else was discussed.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #5767
A Service on Mercedes

Mercedes A service. Yes I had my A service done early also in Christopher Trucks SC . The bill was about the same $600. I have now 27500 on our 2015 Sprinter. Will wait till 30600 to when it is due again which is every 20,000. That first time was a shock. We are out of warrenty now so a private company will do it. It will need another fuel filter and that is what they cost. When Christopher Trucks did my air bags the mechanic said to make sure you use Mercedes oil filter plus mobile one 0/30. They will allow me to bring the filter. After market filters seem to suck in and hurt the motor. We have had also very good experiences with warrenty done on the road at Mercedes of Saint Louis.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:32 AM   #14

Model: Citation 24ST
State: Washington
THOR #10271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard1257 View Post
Mercedes A service. Yes I had my A service done early also in Christopher Trucks SC . The bill was about the same $600. I have now 27500 on our 2015 Sprinter. Will wait till 30600 to when it is due again which is every 20,000. That first time was a shock. We are out of warrenty now so a private company will do it. It will need another fuel filter and that is what they cost. When Christopher Trucks did my air bags the mechanic said to make sure you use Mercedes oil filter plus mobile one 0/30. They will allow me to bring the filter. After market filters seem to suck in and hurt the motor. We have had also very good experiences with warrenty done on the road at Mercedes of Saint Louis.
I got hit with a $700 bill for oil change at my first visit to Mercedes Benz. Local truck shop can do just as well for a whole lot less.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:19 AM   #15

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Service for the Sprinter's is not inexpensive. One of the problems, finding someone that will service it. I could find no one but the MB dealer that would touch it. Its apparently very easy to set off the engine light, during service, and I was told, no one but the MB dealer could deal with getting turned off. History now, as the Gemini on the Sprinter chassis gone now, though I do have a MB car, but the service is pre-paid for a number of years on that one.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #16

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Service for the Sprinter's is not inexpensive. One of the problems, finding someone that will service it. I could find no one but the MB dealer that would touch it. Its apparently very easy to set off the engine light, during service, and I was told, no one but the MB dealer could deal with getting turned off. History now, as the Gemini on the Sprinter chassis gone now, though I do have a MB car, but the service is pre-paid for a number of years on that one.

A bit off topic but when I had a BMW it needed a new battery. I didn’t especially want to replace it myself but found that nobody else would either for the same reason - “it always causes other problems...”. Went to the dealer and it was going to cost nearly $600! I traded it on a Ford. When I had a Mercedes I had a similar shock - the sunroof failed, fortunately under warranty. I asked what the cost would have been out of warranty and it was about $3500! Still didn’t learn my lesson but should have. And eventually did.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:06 PM   #17

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard1257 View Post
Mercedes A service. Yes I had my A service done early also in Christopher Trucks SC .....][..........We have had also very good experiences with warrenty done on the road at Mercedes of Saint Louis.
Twice, I have had warranty repairs done at Christopher Trucks in Greenville (Piedmont) SC. Excellent service. I was in Tennessee heading to Fountain Inn, SC and had a wheel sensor fail. (ASR, ABS, ESP lights) Called them on the way and they repaired under warranty that afternoon when I arrived, and updated CDI software. First class Sprinter and big rig shop.
They are Freightliner dealer but have MB parts and equipment. Prices are a little better than my local Mercedes Sprinter shop but no danish or juice bar in the lounge.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:38 PM   #18

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I returned from a trip To Tombstone Arizona and my MB Sprinter battery was giving me issues. It would not hold a charge after I placed my home charger on it. I called my local MB Dealership and asked how long the warranty was on the battery. It is 36 months or 36000 miles which ever comes first. My Thor Siesta is a 2018 with only 18,000 miles on it so I went in yesterday. The dealership confirmed the battery was bad and replaced it with a brand new one under warranty at no cost to me. That was a great deal. Saved me about $350.00.

Paul