Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2018, 11:59 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
Okay...you've convinced me. I'm going to run it as suggested and check it in 30 days. I think I'll add the animal repellant that's been suggested. I'm really not in to fabricating a screen to wrap the generator. Hopefully the thing will smell so bad from moth balls, peppermint oil and animal repellent that everything will stay away.

I still have to say I don't understand the need to run the genny for lubrication and drying purposes. It's not a diesel...gasoline has no lubricating properties such as diesel and the only way moisture would get in there is from running it for a short period of time and then shutting it off. But who am I to disagree with the experts. I asked for advise and only a fool would ask for it then ignore it.

Thanks to all.
You may be missing something: The moisture doesn't get into the gas (or Diesel) engine part of the generator. It gets on the windings in the actual generator piece--that is all open to the outside world. Since the generator is shaded it will usually be colder than the surroundings thus you'll get condensation on the coils, bearings, wires, etc. inside the generator. This can mix with the oil, grease, etc. already on those parts and cause some corrosion. Running the generator to operating temperature will also heat up those pieces enough to evaporate that moisture (putting a slight load on the genny will assist with the warming).

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:04 AM   #22

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Right...it's not about the engine, it's about the "power head". I've always followed manufacturer's instructions and run every generator once a month with a load...for 15 minutes or so. I did not do this a few years ago with two of the cheap construction banger models and they died.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:12 AM   #23

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Right...it's not about the engine, it's about the "power head". I've always followed manufacturer's instructions and run every generator once a month with a load...for 15 minutes or so. I did not do this a few years ago with two of the cheap construction banger models and they died.
i would think running for 15 minutes would cause more problems than not at all. According to the manual it says 2 hours at 50% load. I always ran mine until no more moisture was coming out the exhaust...generally took about an hour.

i understand about the moisture in the genny but when it's 20 degrees out I struggle understanding moisture condensing there. But as I said, who am I to argue with the experts. My wife always tells me I don't have to understand...just do it. It works.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:24 AM   #24

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
I don't run my generator or the chassis engine in the winter (starting around December). some years I don't even run them in November.
I start running them again in late March.
I know I am taking my chances but I haven't had any problems with my current or past motorhomes.

As far as the mice they always seem to be an issue in the fall when it starts getting cold. usually by mid December they have already made there nest.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #25

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
i would think running for 15 minutes would cause more problems than not at all. According to the manual it says 2 hours at 50% load. I always ran mine until no more moisture was coming out the exhaust...generally took about an hour.

i understand about the moisture in the genny but when it's 20 degrees out I struggle understanding moisture condensing there. But as I said, who am I to argue with the experts. My wife always tells me I don't have to understand...just do it. It works.

The ones I refer to are the baby Hondas, Champion and the Honda 8000 gas burner at home. The Kubota powered one in the coach gets run for the two hours as recommended. We use the coach year round anyway so it gets cranked pretty regular.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #26

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The ones I refer to are the baby Hondas, Champion and the Honda 8000 gas burner at home. The Kubota powered one in the coach gets run for the two hours as recommended. We use the coach year round anyway so it gets cranked pretty regular.
Okay...That makes sense.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #27

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
I don't run my generator or the chassis engine in the winter (starting around December). some years I don't even run them in November.
I start running them again in late March.
I know I am taking my chances but I haven't had any problems with my current or past motorhomes.

As far as the mice they always seem to be an issue in the fall when it starts getting cold. usually by mid December they have already made there nest.
You're a lucky dude... My new Cummins 4000 generator takes forever to start (then sputters for a minute or two until it runs smooth), and this is after just a week of sitting. My toyhauler gen though, could go months if needed.

As far as mice, I usually ziptie a few Bounce sheets around the perimeter of the RV and I get ZERO mice issues.

Generator-wise, my two 4000 Onans only require two rectangular pieces (each) to ward off any rodents. Took 10 mins to make mouse-proof.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:24 PM   #28

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAxisOwner View Post
You're a lucky dude... My new Cummins 4000 generator takes forever to start (then sputters for a minute or two until it runs smooth), and this is after just a week of sitting. My toyhauler gen though, could go months if needed.

As far as mice, I usually ziptie a few Bounce sheets around the perimeter of the RV and I get ZERO mice issues.

Generator-wise, my two 4000 Onans only require two rectangular pieces (each) to ward off any rodents. Took 10 mins to make mouse-proof.

That's because mice in Florida are on the beach eating banana peels during winter...or hiding on the boats going for rides. Mice in Iowa live a tough life...it's brutal up there!
Old 12-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #29
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAxisOwner View Post

After a week of sitting: Do you prime the generator before starting? I usually have to and then it fires right up after about 3-5 cranks (To prime before pushing start hold the button on "Stop" until the LED comes on and then hold it there for about 10 seconds--I know the owner's manual says for about 30 but I've found 10 works well if its only been sitting a week. You can hear the fuel pump running when the LED is on).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #30

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
wow, something must be wrong with mine then...clearly I'm not exercising it enough monthly!

Even if it's been only a day, I have to prime it a good 30 seconds or more...and then it still takes several seconds of cranking to catch on....feels like an eternity sometimes. It's always been this way since day one....so it's not me.

One reason I don't like to maintenance run it so much...it drags the battery charge down so low just to crank it that I need to run a very long time to recover the charge!

Anyway, I always run stabil in the gas...unless I'm on a multiple tank trip, in which case I'll run it in the last tank or two...
And I exercise it prob on average about half of the recommended monthly interval
Old 12-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Just to throw an off-topic question into the mix ...
My new rig has a 3200 watt diesel generator. Can anybody in here give me some "Care & Feeding" tips for it?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #32

THOR #11130
Bob...what brand is your generator? Do you have inside start and stop buttons? Diesels also require a "pre-start" or "wait to start" function. Both my GMC, Kubota, previous 5.9 Cummins and the F-550 have the international "coil" indicator on the dash panel. With the generator, this function is built in. It takes mine about 15-20 seconds to do whatever it needs to, but like most diesel, it fires right up on the first turn...combustion vs. ignition. Good thing about diesel fuel is, it's very stable fuel and needs no additives for reasonable shelf life. I store 8 each 6 gallon Jerry Jugs with diesel for 6-8 months at a time with no issues. The guidelines for the coach engine is what you need to go by regarding any additives, since the fuel for generator is the same as for the MB. I still would run it every month or two for a while (or what the Owner's Manual states) just to keep the "power head" part of it clean and dry. It's my understanding, a generator is nothing more than an electric motor run in reverse.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm ashamed to admit: I don't know...
They were so busy extolling the virtues of it, that I forgot to ask...
With only a 20 pound propane tank
(One tank: solidly mounted: I don't know how many gallons it holds... );
It sounded reasonable to let the generator run off of the main fuel tank.

A lot of RVs in this size range use a 3600 watt propane-fired generator.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
UPDATE: I found some info on it: It's a Cummins Diesel.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:25 PM   #35

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #14024
We have had mice eat wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
If I were parking for such a length of time in such an infested area, I think I'd be getting some hardware cloth and doing my best to completely enclose the generator from below, or any other openings...maybe even going so far as to underpin the entire coach perimeter (like a fence tight to the sidewalls and all the way to the ground)

for sure I'd be putting lots of bait stations and traps all around...and even logical areas away from the coach if applicable...such as nearby walls or fence lines, etc...
We have had mice eat Mom's Yaris and our GMC Acadia wiring. They seem to like them for some reason. Do other people ever have problems with this on the road?
Old 12-29-2018, 10:32 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhappel View Post
We have had mice eat Mom's Yaris and our GMC Acadia wiring. They seem to like them for some reason. Do other people ever have problems with this on the road?
Yes, the insulation/covering on modern wiring is made from a soybean derived plastic that rodents really love. Ask the googles and you will learn all about it.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:15 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhappel View Post
We have had mice eat Mom's Yaris and our GMC Acadia wiring.
Do you really mean that they ate the entire car???

I always knew that they were inexpensive; I never realized how tasty they were!
Old 12-30-2018, 02:47 AM   #38

Model: Newmar
State: Oklahoma
THOR #4495
I put mouse poison from Lowe’s in the motor, in the battery box area both coach and motor. Got tired of being “nice” and just went for the kill
Old 12-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #39

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Wisconsin
THOR #12433
I"m fairly new to RV so I just wanted to let you know about my exp. with the onan gen on my ACE. I was putting gas stab in my coach & still do, but I failed to run my gen for maint, After the 18 mon. I tried unsuccessfully to get running, I waited till spring so I could take it to CW, because I thought it was covered by warrnt. OK CW says it,s not covered because it is the carb., they can fix it for $800.00 or I can get a carb from them for $404.00 plus shipping. I took RV home went to local sm eng shop & got carb for $325.00 total spent 3 hrs working, saved $500.00 & no problems since, but I do maint. runs now. I,m not an eng. mech but I can change parts. Just saying.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:55 AM   #40

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorace1 View Post
I put mouse poison from Lowe’s in the motor, in the battery box area both coach and motor. Got tired of being “nice” and just went for the kill

This will kill them for sure but the issue you may run into is finding them once they take the dirt nap. As they die they burrow deep inside the crevice and it becomes very difficult to follow the smell without creating a bigger mess from throwing up.