Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Mice

Well, last winter I had major issues with mice packing bedding into my generator, requiring it to be pulled and disassembled to regain operation. So this year I have packed in and around the compartment with 5 bags of moth balls, placed 2 hanging blocks under the generator, placed poison food container on top of the generator and spayed around and under the compartment with mice repellent (basically peppermint oil).

It's been 30 days since the last time I started the generator for its monthly exercise. Upon inspection I again find grass and mouse droppings in the generator compartment. It's not packed with mouse bedding yet, but winter in Iowa is just starting.

My question is, if I use Sta-Bil in my fuel, will it really hurt if I don't run the generator from November to April, approximately 5 months? It seems the mice will not be deterred from the warmth created by running the generator.

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It won't hurt your generator at all: as long as the fuel stabilizer has been thoroughly mixed into entire fuel system...

Try adding some cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil to your "mouse repellent inventory". I've used it for years, and never had any tresspassers...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #3

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It won't hurt your generator at all: as long as the fuel stabilizer has been thoroughly mixed into entire fuel system...

Try adding some cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil to your "mouse repellent inventory". I've used it for years, and never had any tresspassers...
Thanks for your input. I've never had problems before this year so I'm confused as to why they are son bad. I think I may just let it sit till spring.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I'm not sure the carb setup on the gas generators but you need to make sure you run the generator long enough, after adding Stabil, for the mix to fully saturate the entire fuel system. If there were a way to run the genset as above, then drain the carb bowl (if it has one) that would be best. Try putting a few of those huge mice (rat, for a more appropriate labeling) traps under the generator with peanut butter on them. Bowls of ammonia also deter them. Depending on where you store the coach, you can also place the electric "goat fence" around it. It works great on my garden in the summer.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:43 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Is your rig parked outside or inside?

If inside - I would put down some sticky traps and reg. mouse traps/poison on and around the Genny, RV and various spots inside the storage shed if possible.

If outside you have to be more careful.... you might trap a cat or dog or poison them.

I think you will be okay for 5 or 6 mo without starting the Genny as long as you use fuel stabilizer. The one I purchase says it works up to a year.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If it's inside: get yourself a Custom Anti-Mouse Security System

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1545162554
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grumpy-cat.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	14651  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #7

THOR #4488
Yeah... I wish it was inside but no such luck. I ran the genny for an hour after filling the tank and adding the Sta-Bil so I should be okay on the mix.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
If I were parking for such a length of time in such an infested area, I think I'd be getting some hardware cloth and doing my best to completely enclose the generator from below, or any other openings...maybe even going so far as to underpin the entire coach perimeter (like a fence tight to the sidewalls and all the way to the ground)

for sure I'd be putting lots of bait stations and traps all around...and even logical areas away from the coach if applicable...such as nearby walls or fence lines, etc...
Old 12-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
and if that didn't work, I'd get a new hobby...
get some night vision goggles and set up a blind to sit in with an air rifle....
Old 12-18-2018, 10:10 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I understood he reason for running the generator regularly is to prevent rusting of the generator windings - it’s not an engine thing it’s a generator thing. I do it as I have no reason to doubt this. If it’s not true I wouldn’t probably fret with running it. My generator currently has only about 50 hours and at least 40 of them are “maintenance “ hours!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:20 PM   #11

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
If I were parking for such a length of time in such an infested area, I think I'd be getting some hardware cloth and doing my best to completely enclose the generator from below, or any other openings...maybe even going so far as to underpin the entire coach perimeter (like a fence tight to the sidewalls and all the way to the ground)

for sure I'd be putting lots of bait stations and traps all around...and even logical areas away from the coach if applicable...such as nearby walls or fence lines, etc...
I've parked in this lot along with about 20 other RV's for several years and never had this kind of problem before. But this is the first motorhome that I started the genny every month. In my previous RV I never used the generator so never started it at all. This is my first motorhome after I retired...now we do a lot of dry camping and traveling so the generator is a must.

Such a big deal is made of starting the genny monthly. I could never understand that since many small engines sit half the year. Assuming the fuel contains Sta-Bil it seems to me not to be necessary to start it monthly. With all that said, I think the best thing for me to do is let it sit.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #12

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I understood he reason for running the generator regularly is to prevent rusting of the generator windings - it’s not an engine thing it’s a generator thing. I do it as I have no reason to doubt this. If it’s not true I wouldn’t probably fret with running it. My generator currently has only about 50 hours and at least 40 of them are “maintenance “ hours!
I just completed my third season with my Miramar and have about 400 hours on the generator.

I don't know why it would rust from sitting. I would think running it and shutting it off may cause moisture to develop, especially in the cold.

Anyway, I guess I'll find out.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:31 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I used to think that I could avoid this by adding a fuel preservative to the fuel tank and then running the generator long enough to get the preservative through the generator set. You definitely should use a fuel preservative whenever the unit will be in storage, but there are many other reasons to start and exercise the generator on a regular basis. Moisture build up can cause damage to your generator. When you exercise your generator it heats up the generator windings and eliminates this moisture build up. This monthly exercise regime also lubricates all of the engine seals and components and helps to prevent carbon build up.
RV Generators 101 - RV UNIVERSITY.COM
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:21 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I wonder if you can staple/screw some fine mesh screen with the 1/4 wide holes between them but thick enough that a mouse cant (or wont) bit though and cover the entire bottom of the Genny and attach to the wood floor and anything metal under the RV?? Basic wrap the entire Genny with a think mess screen so nothing can intrude.

Perhaps it can be left in place year around as long as it provides good air flow and you check it reguarly for debris.

Just a tought.

When I first moved in my house we had mice outside like crazy (digging holes, chewing on my wood shed etc) so I trapped most of them. Then the next year had a few more. But evetally they either moved on our I elimiated the entire family in my yard?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:22 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I wonder if you can staple/screw some fine mesh screen with the 1/4 wide holes between them but thick enough that a mouse cant (or wont) bit though...
Right. 1/4" chicken wire. You can get it at most any livestock place. Just make sure you pull the gen out to make sure you cover all inroads or your effort is futile. The 1/4" can become a 'ladder' and they'll make their way everywhere. Create an upside down 'L' with the short end back to empty space. When they crawl up and around and down, there's no place to go but back to the ground.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #16

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
I guess I'm still confused why moisture would build up if it's not being ran at all so I'm not sure if I agree with that author. I did read the article you referenced and it seems to me the major concern is the fuel.

Anyway, I appreciate all the thoughts on this. I have decided to check it monthly for mice (without running the genny) in the generator area and reapply my mice deterrents as necessary. If I don't find mice to be an issue (no mice droppings), I will assume the heat from running the generator was the major thing attracting the mice.

So for this winter, at least, I will not be running the generator monthly. We'll see what spring brings and I'll keep you posted.

Again, thanks for all the input.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I guess I'm still confused why moisture would build up if it's not being ran at all so I'm not sure if I agree with that author. I did read the article you referenced and it seems to me the major concern is the fuel.

Anyway, I appreciate all the thoughts on this. I have decided to check it monthly for mice (without running the genny) in the generator area and reapply my mice deterrents as necessary. If I don't find mice to be an issue (no mice droppings), I will assume the heat from running the generator was the major thing attracting the mice.

So for this winter, at least, I will not be running the generator monthly. We'll see what spring brings and I'll keep you posted.

Again, thanks for all the input.

How about directly from the Onan Users Manual?

http://www.joshwakefield.com/xplorer...quiet-4000.pdf

Page 17.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #18

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
I have been having good luck with this stuff. I spray the wet bay and the underside of the genset. Smells awful.

https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-238-Sh.../dp/B001E4R2SO

Also use Fresh Cap packets inside the coach. Smells pretty good. Cheaper on Amazon.

https://www.earthkind.com/product/fr...ent-repellent/
Old 12-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #19

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bowe View Post
I have been having good luck with this stuff. I spray the wet bay and the underside of the genset. Smells awful.

https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-238-Sh.../dp/B001E4R2SO

Also use Fresh Cap packets inside the coach. Smells pretty good. Cheaper on Amazon.

https://www.earthkind.com/product/fr...ent-repellent/
Thanks...I'll give that a try.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #20

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
How about directly from the Onan Users Manual?

http://www.joshwakefield.com/xplorer...quiet-4000.pdf

Page 17.
Okay...you've convinced me. I'm going to run it as suggested and check it in 30 days. I think I'll add the animal repellant that's been suggested. I'm really not in to fabricating a screen to wrap the generator. Hopefully the thing will smell so bad from moth balls, peppermint oil and animal repellent that everything will stay away.

I still have to say I don't understand the need to run the genny for lubrication and drying purposes. It's not a diesel...gasoline has no lubricating properties such as diesel and the only way moisture would get in there is from running it for a short period of time and then shutting it off. But who am I to disagree with the experts. I asked for advise and only a fool would ask for it then ignore it.

Thanks to all.