Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2021, 03:59 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 4 Winds 31Y
State: Texas
THOR #20784
For many reasons I like plugging all leaks for both air infiltration and uninvited mousies. What is the best sealant for larger holes that are drilled by Thor to run wiring everywhere. I have a few 1-2” holes. I assume some kind of expanding spray., but what is best?

Old 04-04-2021, 05:26 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3732
Where our mice came in

In our 2015 24.1 I found a board pushed aside on the rear drivers side cabinet along the back wall above the bed, and lots of mouse evidence a few years ago. After digging around a bit, I found a small channel that extends from the bottom of the RV up to the back of the cabinets. I put some copper mesh in that hole. Maybe it’s luck, or maybe I found the one entrance, but I haven’t seen mouse evidence since then.

-Andy
Old 04-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #23

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Look for any size hole, mice can easily get in through a dime size or even smaller crack

Fresh Cab, herbal packs worked for me in the past

The Tuscany is sealed very well but I still use the herbal packs in the compartments containing the electrical, behind the drivers side steering wheel and the inverter compartment

Work well and no mice in going on 6 years. Packs are good for at most 90 days
Old 04-04-2021, 11:45 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #13816
Back in 1981 when my husband and I were one year into our marriage we built our first home. My Dad was a contractor and my Father-in-Law was a master plumber. It was a new subdivision for modest homes built on a former rice field. None of us thought to seal all the openings around the plumbing. I can’t begin to describe the field mice invasion we dealt with. We set traps, and we used steel wool to plug every opening we could find. It was a losing battle. We dealt with them for several years. It took the development of the street behind us before we finally were rid of the mice. To this day, I am hyper-observant regarding rodents. We store our RV in our yard. So far we haven’t had an issue. I probably just jinxed us by saying that. I credit the neighbors’s cats for keeping our RV rodent free. Even so, every time I unlock and open the door I look for a mouse to skitter across the floor Mice freak me out!! Good luck to you!!

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:51 PM   #25

Model: 24.1 Axis
State: Minnesota
THOR #15131
Smile

Thank you for sharing your experiences and solutions regarding mouse hunting. They are quite the sneaky little devils! I posed the question as openly as I could, but have tried a number of different solutions such as foam, wire mesh, steel wool, mothballs, bounce dryer sheets, and my trusty bucket trap and the tin cat traps....I've learned a few more tricks from you and some of the other replies and am going to try them too. Plugging the holes is the key...finding the holes is the challenge. I found a big hole that needs to be addressed behind the bathroom cabinet under the sink...open the door and look to where the plumbing runs and the hole is huge. Also under the galley area...still working on solutions for those two but also wondering if people have discovered any other openings. I'm very appreciative of the help and comments. RVing is truly an adventure. Thanks again
Old 04-05-2021, 05:53 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The lights are a really nice idea : the rotten little critters love the darkness...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:08 AM   #27

State: Minnesota
THOR #2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullabunk View Post
For many reasons I like plugging all leaks for both air infiltration and uninvited mousies. What is the best sealant for larger holes that are drilled by Thor to run wiring everywhere. I have a few 1-2” holes. I assume some kind of expanding spray., but what is best?
a few thoughts... Foam up to maybe 1", but you can consider other fill to make it narrower. Steel wool with foam or silicone is a DY metal fiber foam solution, but I've seen expanding foam products with metal fibers in them to deter the creatures that is a one-step solution. Great Stuff makes a version with a bitter chemical in the foam that deters pests, they say. Google away - lots of products.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #28

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Get some rodent liquid to keep rodents out of your engine compartment at Wally or Amazon and some of the sponge that goes under carpet. Soak material over night then pause in any hole. Wear gloves. Some smells like mint.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:12 PM   #29

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #19132
How long does the peppermint last before you have to replenish the oil?
Old 05-21-2021, 12:03 AM   #30

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
We've had ant problems a time or three - but never (knock on my wooden forehead) a mouse issue. Maybe because we have these guys around where we park when the rig is not in use....
(This particular Yellow Rat Snake seemed to be waiting for us when we pulled into the yard after our final trip in 2019)
Old 05-23-2021, 10:26 PM   #31

Model: Challenger GT
State: Washington
THOR #4517
We did have a problem to start with, 5 years ago. Nothing really worked until we did this.

Buy some “Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent” and then put 4-5 drops of Balsam Fir oil onto each pouch. The Balsam Fir oil is very specific to rodents, they really hate it. Much more so than regular pine oil.

When we go into storage out in the paddock for 6 months, we put one inside each tire well, under the sink, a few of the bays (water, batteries, etc.) and 3-4 inside. After 6 months not a single sign of a rodent and the unit smells great.

We also do other storage things like dryer sheets, damp-rid, etc. But the Fresh Cab and Balsam Fir oil was the magic recipe for rodent expulsion for us. Every year we just put more oil on the Fresh Cab pouches and reset.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:42 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaksterwalk@yahoo.com View Post
How long does the peppermint last before you have to replenish the oil?
We refresh ours about every six weeks.
It keeps the rig Minty-Fresh!
Old 05-23-2021, 11:09 PM   #33

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
We've had ant problems a time or three - but never (knock on my wooden forehead) a mouse issue. Maybe because we have these guys around where we park when the rig is not in use....
(This particular Yellow Rat Snake seemed to be waiting for us when we pulled into the yard after our final trip in 2019)
We use two anacondas.. no mice and no catalytic converter thieves either I was gonna ask my neighbor if he had any mice problem, but hadn't seen him in a few weeks
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:32 PM   #34

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Old 05-23-2021, 11:38 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How do they work on door to door salesman?
Old 05-24-2021, 12:15 AM   #36

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
How do they work on door to door salesman?
Don't know... hadn't seen any since we got the Anacondas
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:37 AM   #37

State: Georgia
THOR #13447
I don't remember where we learned this, but we use bay leaves spread around the coach in vented containers. Mice have not been a problem since using the bay leaves.