Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Mice

We are leaving in a week for Disney so I decided to start my "pre flight" of the Vegas.
So I checked tire pressures , did an engine oil change , checked battery water levels and of course the generator oil.
As I go to reach for the generator dipstick I see this 1 inch piece of fiber like yarn lying off to the side near the dipstick. As I looked further I found a huge mouse nest on top of the generator .
The picture below is what it looked like in the bottom of my shop vac, it was big and could surely have caused a fire when exposed to the heat of the generator.

I wanted to know where the nest material had come from and I initially feared it had come from the carpet in the rig. What I found was that the mud rug I have by the entrance door into the rv was in fact a little smaller than I had remembered.
The mice were unraveling it and dragging the yarn like fibers back to the generator for nesting material.

I had seen signs of mice two weeks ago and managed to catch 4 in snap traps over a 4 night period .
Now my rig is stored in a very tight garage and it has had bait stations in it from day 1. As it turns out the bait stations were full of acorns !
The mice found them to be a good storage facility.

No more activity in the traps for about a week and no further evidence of the little sob's .

And the only evidence of their presence was outside of the living space thank goodness.

I guess you are never safe from them...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4102 (1).jpg
Views:	190
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	4896  

Old 05-13-2017, 10:59 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Better outside than inside.

Never had a problem with mice outside, afaik.

Had them inside. They built a nest using the fiberglass insulation from around the oven. Finally got the rig mouse proof, closed all the mouse entrances.

Glad you solved your mouse problem.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #3

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Next time it goes in there I would spread about 2 boxes of dryer sheets all over plus moth ball packets. Lowes sells moth balls in small perforated bags (shevling section).
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #4

THOR #5374
I figure I'm ok for now but am keeping baited snap traps in there for the time being.
I figure come Fall I'll be doing battle with them as the weather gets colder.
I love the dryer sheet idea and have used it in the past but hate the smell of moth balls. I know they do too but I will only escalate to that if I have to .
Old 05-29-2017, 01:30 AM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Next time it goes in there I would spread about 2 boxes of dryer sheets all over plus moth ball packets. Lowes sells moth balls in small perforated bags (shevling section).

We use Bounce drier sheets, but I don't know if they do any good, because I don't know if the RV is mouse proof. I tried using mothballs in my pickup that I only used to plow snow. I put some in the glove box and the mice just pushed them aside and built a nest next to them.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:52 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
his subject has been discussed over and over again in both, the iRV2 and the Motorhome-Forum. It seems that neither moth balls nor dryer sheets do any good at all. In fact there were some reports stating that the mice used the dryer sheets as nesting material, and the nests were right next to some mothballs. I live in the woods, and have the motorhome parked on a clearing, one should think that I would have a large mouse problem, but I had never ever had a mouse inside the rig. I went around and under it with steel wool and silicone and stuffed and sealed every possible hole that I could find. I also bought a Black & Decker rodent repeller gizmo that makes a terrible screeching pulsing noise. The mice seem not to like it, my dog does not like it, and I don't like it either. It is this thing, it looks like B&D sold the business. Mine looks identical, just in the B&D colors http://www.amazon.com/Bird-X-Transon...+pest+repeller
Old 05-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #7

THOR #2817
Hudsoner,
Since you have have attempted and possibly succeeded in mouseproffing your RV with steel wool and silicon (caulk I presume), are you sure the pest repeller is doing anything to ward off mice? But I might give it a try, just as insurance.

I park our RV under a shed roof next to the barn which is almost 100 feet from the house, and wonder how bothersome the pest repeller is on the outside of the RV? I'd hate to have to listen to a disturbing sound all day and night from the house or when working in the barn.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #8

THOR #5313
We got outside cat that helps. We also get lizards everywhere, wifes farm dog helps cat. I bug bomb RV periodically to keep everything out. Living in swamp means it never freezes, but I picked up 4 foot snakeskin last week.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #9

THOR #2817
Muggs,
Does the bug bomb leave any kind of lasting odor?
Old 05-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #10

THOR #5313
No, my wife would let me know. It does drive the gas detector nuts during process. I usually use 3 or 4 of the little ones that come 6 in a pack. Also spray outside compartments with unscented raid about every 60 days. No issue with ants, etc. All that is required is no open food, everything must be in sealed/zip locked plastic. Every door/drawer open.

Since we use RV for racecar tow vehicle, it does not sit long. Gets used at least twice a month not counting vacation trips. We usually go to Fort Wilderness every 2 months or so for a break (except Summer). Is great to go park there and hit restaruants/parks.

I pretty much do same for house as we are on edge of Everglades. I don't like to hire exterminators when I can do myself.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:16 AM   #11

Model: Siesta Sprinter 24SV
State: Arkansas
THOR #6932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
We use Bounce drier sheets, but I don't know if they do any good, because I don't know if the RV is mouse proof. I tried using mothballs in my pickup that I only used to plow snow. I put some in the glove box and the mice just pushed them aside and built a nest next to them.
We found evidence of a mouse in our new motorhome soon after we bought it. A roll of paper towels had been torn up. Bought some Bounce dryer sheets and put them in several drawers and cabinets. Found a dead mouse a couple of days later! Don't know if it ate some of the Bounce or got taken out by the fumes! Haven't seen any more mice.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:37 AM   #12

THOR #3952
Found a mouse nest by my grey tank. Cleaned it all out but still have the smell. Have tried Lysol and several cleaners but still have that smell. It's in the storage compartment so it's not coming inside but opening the storage door I get a good whiff. Any suggestions for cleaners? It's all plastic inside.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:58 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #4312
50/50 mix of vinegar and H20

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #14

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Try some vanilla extract mixed with water and spray inside, will eliminate most odors.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:22 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Hudsoner,
Since you have have attempted and possibly succeeded in mouseproffing your RV with steel wool and silicon (caulk I presume), are you sure the pest repeller is doing anything to ward off mice? But I might give it a try, just as insurance.

I park our RV under a shed roof next to the barn which is almost 100 feet from the house, and wonder how bothersome the pest repeller is on the outside of the RV? I'd hate to have to listen to a disturbing sound all day and night from the house or when working in the barn.
I can hear the thing working inside when I stand next to the Rv, but it is not that loud that I see it as a disturbance.
I don't know for sure, whether it is my steel wool and caulking, or whether it is the pest repeller that keeps mice out of my unit.
I just know that the thing keeps my dog out of the motorhome, and I assume that it must be similar uncomfortable for mice, too.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Arizona
THOR #5872
Irish Spring Soap to Repel Rodents | My Useful Ideas.com

Check this site I found on someone else post a while back.
Retired mechanic
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #17

THOR #2817
I just went to the website and read the responses to the post about Irish Spring soap. Many say to use the original Irish Spring, otherwise the mice will eat the soap. Some say it just doesn't work. I've been saving Irish Spring soap for years and have a draw full of skinny bars. Now I have a use for them.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #18

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
Found a mouse nest by my grey tank. Cleaned it all out but still have the smell. Have tried Lysol and several cleaners but still have that smell. It's in the storage compartment so it's not coming inside but opening the storage door I get a good whiff. Any suggestions for cleaners? It's all plastic inside.
Compared to the black water tank, I doubt that the smell can be very bad. I suspect that in time it will assume the normal smell of a gray water tank, which isn't something I enjoy smelling either.