Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2021, 03:52 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: British Columbia
THOR #2763
We had a bad rodent infestation under the hood the first winter that our Chateau sat in the driveway and had to pay a premium to Mercedes to clear it out at our spring maintenance visit. Luckily they hadn’t done any chewing damage at that point. Then we used poison, mothballs, dryer sheets, peppermint oil…and thumping our fists on the hood every time we went by.

Two years ago I bought an ultrasonic rodent repellent - a MouseBuster Pro - and plugged it into an extension cord and set it in the engine. Golly whiz, it does work! Irregularly flashing lights and beeping at a variety of high frequencies and zero signs of mouse activity since that day. Worth every penny.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:03 AM   #22

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My rats, native rats, are smart enough to know which is power, and which is ground, on the ultrasonic transmitters.
They have, twice now, chewed only the power wire in two. Maybe the red wire tastes nice.
Once, the little bastard chewed it twice and took out a 4" section I never found.
And
Some guests in my shop could hear the ultrasonic...they said it was nastily irritating.
And
They run down a battery in a a couple of weeks.

I have five here. They are made by Siemens.
We only drive one vehicle frequently enough to keep one of these in it.
I unhooked the others due to dead batteries.

They work well enough, but the down side is really a downside.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:42 PM   #23

Model: Windsport
State: California
THOR #20527
Mice / rat issues

We had a rat/mice problem due to an abundance of fruit/avocado trees on a near property where we store our RV. We tried several remedies all explained here and all good but didn’t completely solve issue. After research we went with the product “Mouse Free” it’s an undercarriage lubricant. So far it has seemed to work, no droppings inside engine or housing areas. It’s pricey and a little messy but fingers crossed it will continue to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C28A24F8-D8EA-40BC-AF66-4AE954F262EE.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	34832  
Old 11-16-2021, 11:54 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
We had a rodent get under the hood of my husband's F-150 pickup truck, and it chewed through a bunch of wires also and Ford had to replace a whole slew of things including the wiring harness. It was a repair job that came to over $3,000 as they had to pull the engine. My insurance agent was kind enough to inform me to never use the words rodent, mouse, rat, squirrel or any other little rodents when putting in the claim. Insurance companies will not cover damage done by rodents of any kind. When we put in the claim we told him the damage was done by a bear. They covered the repairs without a problem.
A bear?!?
Glad to hear that it worked...
But saying that it was done by a cat: would have sounded more plausible.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:12 AM   #25

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Large mess screen (1/4" min) at the air filter housing opening. Do not go with small mesh since you may restrict air flow to engine (not good). Those engines need plenty of air to breath.

Tags
mice, rodents