Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Florida
THOR #682
Miramar Radio

Has anyone had a problem with their radio in Miramar. Its dead as a door nail with no power . I have tried to trace the fuses which i believe are under drivers side floor but the fuses seem ok. Now I have no camera etc. I tried the cutoff switch which works on lights but no affect on radio at this time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Is this the Axxerra (SP) radio?

You may try pulling off the top of the dash and check the wire connections on the back of the radio. In my Challenger the radio would go off and then I could turn it back on. I pulled the dash and everything in there was a mess and there was no support for the back of the radio. I haven't had it back on the road since but I hope that solved my problem.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Sounds like a fuse problem.

JamieGeek had a similar problem in his Vegas. He finally located a fuse box in the first compartment on the drivers side that had the radio fuse.

Do you have a wiring schematic for the Miramar?

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by retromike View Post
Has anyone had a problem with their radio in Miramar.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:08 AM   #4

THOR #682
Miramar Radio

the radio was working the last time I drove it. Its been setting in the driveway and i have it hooked up to shore power. I had the breaker off and the stow switch off until yesterday and i flipped the breaker back on. I saw the radio lights come on and then go off. I checked all the fuses that were indicated in the Ford manual. They all tested fine. I am starting to read about Jenson radio and there is mention of reset switch and possible fuses in line, will check in am.
Thanks for replies
Old 04-24-2015, 01:31 AM   #5

THOR #943
Quote:
Has anyone had a problem with their radio in Miramar. Its dead as a door nail with no power . I have tried to trace the fuses which i believe are under drivers side floor but the fuses seem ok. Now I have no camera etc. I tried the cutoff switch which works on lights but no affect on radio at this time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
It's a Thor. What do you expect? I hope not much. Don't ya just love their Quality Control. NOT!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2015, 01:48 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you have the Jensen radio: There is a fuse at the back of the radio--you have to pull it out.

In addition the radio is probably not fused through the Ford fuses but through some other fuses in the unit (in my Axis the radio fuse is in a separate Thor fuse box in an outside storage compartment).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:43 PM   #7

THOR #682
Miramar Radio

Well i pulled the fuse at back of radio as mentioned here and other thor forums. the power came back on but no display at all. The led lights are on and you can insert drive and it plays with volume. So now i have a radio that just buzzes on radio,no visual display, and you cant shut it off without killing battery.no camera system, Sounds like thats why the fuse probably blew is its got a direct short on it. Not alot of good reviews on this Model Jensen either, usually drop after a year or 2. Like i said before just got it back from warranty work on the cutoff switch?
I am about as frustrated as a person can be with warranty work on this thing. now 3rd trip for warranty work. This is the 44th item that has crapped out and thats not counting what i fixed. Buyers beware of Thor Miramar . 150,000????
Old 04-25-2015, 10:39 AM   #8

State: New York
THOR #1169
The Jensen 212T on my Miramar had failed. It would still play music, but the display was dead and you could not shut it off. I tried the reset as well as the fuse, which was fine, with no luck. I did notice however that without power overnight, the radio would work fine again, but only for a few hours. Eventually got it replaced under warranty.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
You could always upgrade the jensen to the next level up jensen (granted its still a jensen and may be crap as was the 212).

I did this in our Axis--you can find details on it here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...rade-1105.html
Old 04-25-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
Ron

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: California
THOR #1675
Frustration

I hear a lot of frustration over a $200 radio in a $150,000 motorhome! We (as motorhome owners) must remember that our rolling palaces are not just one manufacturer but a compilation of many manufacturers installed into one product and then we roll down a bumpy highway hoping it will stay together! We have Ford, Thor, Atwater, Coleman, Onan, Jensen, Equalizer, and many more manufacturers contributing to our final product.

I would give this advice...turn your frustration unto challenge. Turn your challenge into success. Turn your success into joy! Here's how...Many people on this forum receive great joy in repair, fixing and/or modifying their coach. Get input from others on the forum and how they deal with various problems and then STOP taking the MH to the place of frustration ... the dealer (the wolves den) and get the joy of tinkering/repairing these things yourself.

But you say, "It's under warranty! They should fix it for free!" Is it really free when you have to continuously drive your unit to the dealer and sometimes leave it there? At nearly 50 cents per mile just for gas, it adds up fast!

I was stranded on the side of the freeway when my motorhome died right after I bought it. Luckily, I wasn't far from the dealership and they came right out to help me. They got it going again and said that the problem was due to a faulty battery isolator. They said there was a recall on the isolator and if I took it back to the dealership they would perform the service bulletin for free. I said thanks but no thanks. When I got home, I downloaded the service bulletin from RV Custom Products (Not Thor) and not only performed the modification but made an improvement on the repair. Now, when I flip on the battery switch, I have a mental picture of what is going on in the system because I am familiar with it. If it were to ever fail again, I would know exactly what to do...but I'm confident that it won't fail because it was fixed properly

Frustration turned into JOY!
Old 04-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
the radio was working the last time I drove it. Its been setting in the driveway and i have it hooked up to shore power. I had the breaker off and the stow switch off until yesterday and i flipped the breaker back on. I saw the radio lights come on and then go off. I checked all the fuses that were indicated in the Ford manual. They all tested fine. I am starting to read about Jenson radio and there is mention of reset switch and possible fuses in line, will check in am.
Thanks for replies
Another suggestion

If the radio is a Jensen, call their or technical support. They are the manufacturer of the radio and may direct you to mail it in for replacement.

Often times when things go back to the dealer that is what they do. I learned this on a car when I had radio problems. The local dealer would take the car to the Automotive Electronics shop in town and this caused an extra 2 day delay. One day for them taking the car in and another for them to pick the car up once it was finished. The radio warranty is a Jensen (or whomever the manufacturer is) and not a Thor warranty. Cut out the middle layers of "doing nothing or waiting for parts" and the associated waste of time. You can also check out Jensen's web site for a list of authorized service centers in your area. Maybe there is one around the corner or down the street.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy46 View Post
It's a Thor. What do you expect? I hope not much. Don't ya just love their Quality Control. NOT!!!!!!!
I strongly disagree.

From what I have read on the thread it is a Jensen. Thor to my knowledge does not manufacture automotive electronic equipment. If the coach is supplying 12VDC to the power input of the radio and is also supplying a good ground connection then Thor did what they were required to do, which is supply power and ground to the audio unit. From that point on it is Jensen's responsibility for the radio to perform as advertised.

Furthermore, if the radio worked when the coach was delivered to the customer then it definitely is not in any way shape or form a Thor Quality Control issue.

One final note: on page 15 of my owner's manual, (Thor Motor Coach Owner's Manual Class B+, Class C & Class A Gas Revised 5/21/2014) in the section titled "Suppliers Providing Separate Warranties" clearly listed is ASA Electronics (Jensen). Their phone number is (800) 688-3135 and the web site is www.asaelectronics.com. Sorry, but Thor has clearly notified owners that Jensen radios are covered under a separate warranty.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #13

THOR #682
Miramar Radio

Ron,

I see your point and I wish it was a 200.00 radio. Furthermore doing my own modifications as much as I am able will in part void any further warranties related to that.
But back to the point of the radio, the 212 has bad ratings and I also would like to replace it with the 215 because mainly the cameras. unfortunately I am not sure if its able to be per say plug and play or if I need supplemental wiring.
I see Jamie the Greek did it on Axis but wasn't sure on cameras as the Miramar has 3.

I have to also check on warranty as its been 14 months since i bought it.
thanks all for input.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by retromike
I see Jamie the Greek did it on Axis but wasn't sure on cameras as the Miramar has 3.
Axis/Vegas has 3 cameras as well. One of the reasons I did the 215 upgrade instead of another radio.

Camera harness from the 212 was plug-n-play: connectors and everything was identical between the two radios (including the turn signal sensor plug).
Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Check your system. My Challenger also has 3 cameras, however, there is a control unit that the three cameras plug into then there is one cable that runs from the control unit into the back of my radio. It is the control unit that determines which camera is viewed based on turn signals etc...

If yours is like mine you can remove the top of the dash and get a good view of how the system is connected. The top of my dash is held on by 4 Phillips head screws.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-27-2015, 10:43 PM   #16

THOR #682
Miramar Radio

Jamie the greek, did you find out why the radio went dead when you did Bluetooth?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:44 PM   #17

THOR #682
Miramar Radio

Sorry Jamie i mistyped your user
Old 04-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by retromike
Jamie the greek, did you find out why the radio went dead when you did Bluetooth?
Yeah the fuse wasn't rated enough. Thor has a 5amp fuse in for the radio even though the fuse on the back of both radios (212 & 215) was a 10 amp. Thus when the bluetooth kicked in it must have increased the radio's current draw enough to kill the 5 amp fuse. I've since replaced it with a 10amp and the radio has run through several phone calls without issue.

Quote:
Sorry Jamie i mistyped your user
LOL! No issue... Not associated with Jimmy the Greek! but I can see it being easy to read my handle that way.

The specs for the 215 can be found here:
http://www.asaelectronics.com/jensen...avigation.html
Where you can find this item:
Quote:
3-Camera input with auto-trigger (CAM1 w/audio)
Old 08-04-2015, 02:42 AM   #19

THOR #682
Miramar Radio

Sorry for delay guys on update. The radio was bad and out of nowhere Thor rep called me to see how I made out with my shower draining problem. He stated he had worked with my repair techs on fixing that problem and so I explained problem with radio. He listened to me and told me to send it in and it would be checked and if bad replaced at no charge. It was out of warranty by one month but he covered the deductible to fix it.

So I am saying THANK YOU THOR they did step up on this one.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #20
Ron

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: California
THOR #1675
That's great! A happy ending!