Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
Miramar shower leak

Our Miramar 35.3 is back at the dealer for the 3rd time for a shower leak. A few minutes after taking a shower, water will start weeping out from underneath the from corner of the shower. Sometimes you don't notice it but if you take a paper towel and push on the panel that is on the front of the shower, water will weep out onto the paper towel. In testing for the leak before I dropped it off, I filled a 5 gallon bucket about half way with water (from an outside water source) and poured water down the shower drain. I figured this would rule out water leaking from the the hot/cold values and also rule out water splashing onto the door frame or other areas of the shower. In doing this the first time, I didn't see a leak (or I didn't wait long enough). My second test I filled the bucket half way again but this time I stood in the shower when I poured the water down the drain. So now I have pressure on the shower floor from me standing in the shower. About 5 minutes later I checked with my paper towel trick and no water. I came back about 15 minutes later and sure enough, water weeped onto the paper town when I pushed on the front panel. It's like the water is dripping from underneath the shower pan and eventually pooling up against that panel piece in the front of the shower. I noticed that the trim near the floor coming into the bathroom (which is next to the shower) was coming loose due to the water.

Camping world called yesterday afternoon and said they had calked the shower door frame and some other areas (which was done the first two times I took the motorhome in for the leak). I told them that this wouldn't fix the leak since I know the leak is coming from underneath the shower. It's got to be coming from the shower drain or the plumbing underneath the shower. My service tech said there should be some type of access panel to get underneath the shower for the plumbing. I'm not sure how since the grey water tank seems to be right underneath the shower. If I go outside and open up the compartment under where the shower is, there appears to be a tank. I believe there is a furnace vent that comes out the front of the shower near the floor so there is definitely room underneath the shower. I guess that front panel will need to be pulled off to get access underneath the shower pan.

For the Miramar owners, do you know how to access underneath the shower? My guess is when I get the motorhome back from the dealer it will not be fixed and I will have to eventually fix it myself. I dropped off the motorhome 2 days before my warranty expired and they have now had it 2 weeks so no more warranty.

Burch

Old 06-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
As long as you have an active claim and the problem hasn't been resolved, it should still be covered...even if you have to take it back in. You're on the right path...it sounds like the connection from the shower drain to the holding tank underneath the shower pan is loose. Call Thor and get them involved directly with you and see if you can get them to give a directive to the dealership to remove the tank...whatever it takes.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #3

THOR #6451
I am starting to wonder if it's the P trap under that shower that is leaking? Since it holds water and the leak seems to be a delayed reaction, I wonder if there's a loose connection or a crack in the pipe. I am just unsure how to get access to under the shower. Hopefully camping world will fix but I have my doubts.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
1.5 years ago, I had a leak underneath the shower in my Vegas. It actually dripped through floor cutout onto spring shackle. Access was panel with 4 screws. Turned out nut on shower strainer has loosened (I am 240). I added a rubber fernco connector on top of it with hose clamps. No more issues. I did have to remove strainer and reputty to get enough clearance to use coupling. All this beemingly standing on my head.

I cannot speak to Miramar, but there is likely a P=trap between shower and gray tank or you would get odor back from tank.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:27 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
There is a panel on the raised floor of our Miramar. You can get to the P-trap from there. I am guessing yours does not have such a panel.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #6

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiramarVA View Post
There is a panel on the raised floor of our Miramar. You can get to the P-trap from there. I am guessing yours does not have such a panel.
I have not seen such a panel. My guess is the panel/wall on the front of the shower near the floor would need to come off.

The dealer still has our Miramar and they said it was the P trap leaking. They said it wasn't a normal type of P trap in that it had some type of value/baffle that would let water out but not back into the shower. They have had our motor home almost 3 weeks and I have a trip planned for next week. They can get the part locally but said it would take 7-10 days to get the part from Thor. I can't wait that long as I have a trip coming up and I need the shower working. I told them I would pay the difference in whatever the local part costs minus what the Thor part costs. They were OK with this and I will hopefully get the motor home back this coming up Thursday. Hopefully the leak will be fixed this time.