Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2018, 05:24 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
Well, I called Thor this morning to check to see if the dealer called about getting authorization for the work. Nope.... Thor said they shipped a part for the slide repair but hasn't been contacted about the other warranty items. The part was shipped to the dealer before I took the RV to the dealer. It's been there 17 days now. I am starting to get a little anoyed as we have a trip coming up that I am probably going to have to cancel.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #22

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
Did it look like this? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7156.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	9203 Ours was jammed and caused the slide to bind...
Old 03-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #23

THOR #6451
No, it didn't look like that. I don't have a picture but there are metal tracks that run underneath the slide. The bedroom slide only has 2 but the living/dining slide has 5 or 6. One of them was coming loose from the bottom of the slide. When the roller was riding on it the metal began to get warped. Dealer has had it for almost 3 weeks now and still doesn't have it fixed.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:23 PM   #24

State: California
THOR #8228
No, it probably looks like this. See how the metal plate is pulling up on the sides and some screws are coming out. My roller ran over the screw sending the inside corner of the slide to pitch in toward the floor and ripped up my linoleum in the bedroom, also cracked my roller. FYI: I have a full wall slide in my 34.2 which makes it that much more critical the slide is correct.
Go to the owner of the dealership, the shop manager, and squeek that wheel. Bosses hate to be bothered. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170806_110010_001.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	9212
Old 03-01-2018, 10:33 PM   #25

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratmanstudio View Post
No, it probably looks like this. See how the metal plate is pulling up on the sides and some screws are coming out. My roller ran over the screw sending the inside corner of the slide to pitch in toward the floor and ripped up my linoleum in the bedroom, also cracked my roller. FYI: I have a full wall slide in my 34.2 which makes it that much more critical the slide is correct.
Go to the owner of the dealership, the shop manager, and squeek that wheel. Bosses hate to be bothered. Attachment 9212

Yes very much like ours we have that same plate on ours. You will be able to see the t-bar in the picture closer to the front. I also have some openings with the rubber and it’s torn. Inside there is a basket of spaghetti of wires an ducts.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:16 AM   #26

THOR #8228
Yep, same here, but it seem to close ok
Old 03-02-2018, 12:45 AM   #27

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Metalgator - I have offered this advise a number of times so here is a process that we've followed with much success. Thor CSR has been very good to work with and help with the follow up.

I am going to do a copy/paste here from another thread with a process we've used. It is not good that you must get this involved but unfortunately I don't see an alternative.

-After a small instance of what you have related above I figured out that you MUST be your own best advocate. I was a motor officer in a mech unit while serving in the US Army for more years than I care to think about and it is the process I used in there. It is sorta like Ronald Reagan said "trust but verify". Here is what I recommend:

"You must be your own best advocate with Consumer Service Reps. Start that process trying to understand what is wrong - note this not always what is broken - and then what needs to be done to repair. If you've got a local service center that can do the work, give them a call AND THEN CALL THOR CSR. If you cannot find someone that can do the work, GIVE THOR CSR A CALL. Most times they can help find someone to do the repair. Don't stop there. Find out from service exactly what it is, that is going to be repaired and ask the question about status of parts. Then call Thor CSRs to confirm the status of the repair to make sure the service center and Thor agree. Repair information like - when will parts be shipped, received, installed and finished. If you cannot get fairly specific info, chances are your repair is what the tech industry use to call "Vapor" - not really there.

Lots of horror stories on on-line forums of folks that leave their coach at repair for days, weeks, months only to not get repair done.

The process above is what we used and Thor always came through for us on everything from leveling system overall to blown out window."

Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #28

THOR #6451
I spoke with the dealership. When the service writer spoke to the tech, the tech told him that he had submitted the work to warranty. The dealership has a warranty department that works with the dfiferent manufacturers. The warranty person at the dealer hadn't contacted Thor yet for whatever reason. They have now contacted Thor and gotten approval so hopefully the work will be completed soon.

I am trying to update a picture of the slide but apparenty my photobucket account doesn't work anymore.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #29

THOR #6451
Here is a picture of the broken slide track. It looks like the track isn't long enough and the roller drops off the end of the track when fully extended. When I pull in the slide, there is always a bump when the slide gets fully retracted. I guess that is the roller falling off the end of the track when fully retracted.

https://flic.kr/p/23JuM3w
Old 03-02-2018, 03:06 PM   #30

THOR #8228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
Here is a picture of the broken slide track. It looks like the track isn't long enough and the roller drops off the end of the track when fully extended. When I pull in the slide, there is always a bump when the slide gets fully retracted. I guess that is the roller falling off the end of the track when fully retracted.

https://flic.kr/p/23JuM3w
It should be completely flat, without that bend and loose screw.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #31

THOR #6451
Quote:
It should be completely flat, without that bend and loose screw.
Yes, the rest of the tracks are flat and look fine. I am just wondering if the reason this track got messed up is because the roller looks like it is falling off the end of the track when the slide is fully extended.

Burch
Old 03-03-2018, 12:46 AM   #32

THOR #8228
Quote:
Yes, the rest of the tracks are flat and look fine. I am just wondering if the reason this track got messed up is because the roller looks like it is falling off the end of the track when the slide is fully extended.

Burch
Are you saying it's shorter than the other ones?
Old 03-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #33

THOR #6451
Quote:
Are you saying it's shorter than the other ones?
Not sure since I don't have the motorhome to look at. It's been at the dealer for the last 3 weeks. But in looking at that picture, it looks like the wheel is going past the end of the track.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #34

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I posted earlier that my dealer told me this is a common problem. He said they always check that when receiving a new motorhome and replace them if needed before putting them out for sale. He showed me the one he removed from my RV and it was 4 inches too short. It would have eventually broken the roller. Thank goodness for a proactive dealer.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #35

THOR #6451
I got a call from the dealer today that the slide (and a bunch of other warranty items) are repaired. The only thing left to repair is the Radio/GPS unit. If I am using the GPS unit, 9 times out of 10 after about 30 minutes or so the screen would lock up and show an error message. The only way to fix was to go into the radio settings and select the "reset to default" option. This was annoying as all the radio settings would get erased. Of course on the 2 hour drive to the dealership the GPS worked fine. Thor agreed to replace the unit. I am really hoping that I have gotten all the bugs out of the RV now. I only have 3 months of warranty left so I have my fingers crossed.

Burch
Old 03-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #36

THOR #6451
I finally got the motorhome back on Friday. The slide repair the dealer did looked OK. When I got back, I opened the slide and it seemed to be out of time (one side ahead of the other when opening/closing). I opened and closed the slide 5 or 6 times and got the slide back in time. However, when I look at the replaced slide track, it still looks too short. It looks like the roller is still falling off the end of the track when the slide is retracted. The track looks like it is about an inch or two too short. The new slide track is already starting to slightly warp and I am afraid over time the screws will start pulling out again due to the roller having to pop back on the end of the track when extending slide. I have a few trips planned and then have a feeling I will be taking the motorhome back to the dealer.

My worry is my warranty is up in June. Has anyone dealt with Thor with a reoccurring warraty issue after the warranty has expired?

I will say I was very happy with the dealer. When I picked up the motorhome, they had washed it and swept up the inside. I had a list of minor warranty issues and they got them all taken care of.

Burch
Old 03-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #37

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
My worry is my warranty is up in June. Has anyone dealt with Thor with a reoccurring warraty issue after the warranty has expired?
Yes, if it's an ongoing issue Thor will continue to cover it under warranty. You want to document that asap though. Take pics and email the dealer and your Thor contact with details about what you found upon returning home.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #38

THOR #6451
For anyone who has this type of slide system, does each of the metal slide tracks have a roller? On the track that is in the middle of the slide (the one that got repaired), the roller is near that edge of the motorhome and some of the rollers on the other tracks are ressed back into the motorhome several inches compaired to the middle roller. On some of the tracks, I can't see any rollers unless they are ressed father and I just can't see them.

Burch
Old 03-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #39

THOR #8228
Maybe when new replace the roller he placed it out farther because the screw holes would strip...
Old 03-13-2018, 11:15 PM   #40

THOR #6451
They never replaced the roller, they only replaced the track. The roller is in the same location as it was before the repair.

Tags
slide, slide problems, slide roller, slideout