Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2020, 02:43 AM   #1

State: California
THOR #16104
Moisture in rear tail lenses

So I noticed I have moisture in both tail lenses 2019 Thor four winds, does Thor have a parts department ? I would like to order the gaskets. Thanks

Old 01-12-2020, 02:49 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You are better off creating your own gaskets. The "gaskets" on the lights are cheap foam ones that crush when the lights are screwed on and allow water to enter.

When I replaced my tail lights with LED ones I used the foam gaskets as templates and cut out some rubber ones (rubber sheet purchased from The Home Depot).

I also sprayed the recesses for the lights with flex seal to prevent any moisture from damaging the wood.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:01 AM   #3

THOR #16104
Sounds like a great idea, so did you just replace the bulbs with LED’s now I’m curious , thanks
Old 01-12-2020, 03:44 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4winds4me View Post
Sounds like a great idea, so did you just replace the bulbs with LED’s now I’m curious , thanks
The taillights are made by a company called "Command Electronics" they make a replacement assembly with LEDs instead of lights. (I believe if you order it from them they will even include the wire harness for Thors making the swap out plug-n-play. I didn't and just spliced them in; still a pretty easy task.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:14 AM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Your Tail Lights

If you search for a thread on this issue you will find many comments, many pictures on replacing what you have with the Command Electronics LED lights. Even when you get the new LED lens you will get the same piece of garbage foam gasket. Many of us threw it in the trash and then use a roll of butyl rubber as a gasket and rubber O-rings with new stainless steel screws. Then, once installed, get some good RV all weather caulking around the outside of the fixture. Do tell Command Electronics that you have a Thor and they will get you the ones with the plugs that are ready to plug and play.