Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2018, 05:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Coach water tank has no support

While doing the CHF on my MH yesterday, I noticed the drain pipe for the water tank was barely sticking out of the hole where the tank is so I opened the door up to look at things. We had just got back from a few days of camping and had driven through some slushy roads for a brief time and there was mud, muck and road grime all inside the compartment. Upon further inspection and crawling back under the MH, I noticed the bottom of the compartment holding the water tank was sagging, the only thing supporting it was the screws on the sides and at the top. I thought to myself, surely they don't think this is okay because water is pretty darn heavy! The road grime came from the gap at the bottom of the compartment which wasn't sealed off. This was the first time I had filled the tank, put about 75 gallons in it hence the reason it wasn't noticed until now. Sooo, off to the shop I go and made a support bracket out of some channel I had. I used a hydraulic jack and some 2 by 4's to lift the compartment bottom back in place eliminating the sag and to hold the bracket in place, then drilled the bolt holes and bolted it down.

I'm learning a lot about MH's, which is what I want to do so if something breaks while out in the boonies, I'll know how to fix it and have the tools to do so. I've upgraded, fixed and redone so many things it would embarrass the heck out of the Thor "technicians" ..... IF they really cared.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:39 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Holy cow! That's a lot of unsupported weight. Bet I'll be checking my class C out.