Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2016, 06:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #5312
Auto-level and automatic step suddenly stopped working

Hey there!

First post here and unfortunately it's because I have a problem. We just arrived at our site and for some reason the auto leveler and the outside step have stopped functioning. The step worked 2 hours ago when I stopped for fuel but now, nothing. The auto level on the driver side also will not power on. I'm confused about where to even start looking.

I'll have to call a remote repair service in the am as its now pretty late here. I didn't want to extend the slide out without being level so we're just going to make do as is for the evening.

Anyone have any ideas of what I can check before I call?

2017 Thor Ace 30.2
Battery check on the panel shows full.
All other electrical works and I'm plugged into service.
No circuits appear to be tripped but I have not checked fuses as I have no idea which it could be.

Thanks

Old 09-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
So sorry you've got troubles.

Have you set the emergency brake? My levelers won't work without it set. As far as the step goes, I'm clueless.

Have you tried the manual setting on your jacks to see if you can lower them that way?

Wish I could offer more help
Old 09-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #3

THOR #5312
Yea brake is engaged.

Upon further research I don't have any power to the driver console (jack, mirror adjust, mirror heat).

I checked the fuse for the driver side in the panel but it was fine.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:02 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Not familiar with your model, but Thor does use some components on all models.

Here is a picture of the Front Fuse Panel (this is the box on the front of my 2015 Vegas under the hood. Look at the items that are on P5. Many of the systems you are describing as not working are common to the P5 circuit.

If you have this same electrical box, I'd start looking at that P5 circuit. And if the P5-1 Accessory Relay routes 12DC to all those other P5 circuits, I'd check to be sure that relay is not tripped or it being defective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 front fuse box.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	2897  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
when my levelers stopped working while out in South Dakota, I called Thor csv - he knew right away that it was probably a main breaker/fuse buss in the battery compartment. I reset the yellow flag on the buss and all was well from then on....
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #6

State: Virginia
THOR #5318
Breaker

Have you checked the breakers beneath the vehicle? There is one in front near the engine and there are there or more above the batteries near the jack pump.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:21 AM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #3900
Thor had us check the battery area for a little yellow flag that someone else mentioned. We lost the generator and the leveling system at once. Once that flag was pushed back into place the generator came back but our leveling system is still not working on our 2017 Challenger. We did notice as we were driving the lights on the leveling system would randomly come on and flash for no reason then go back off. Thor c/s after hours # says it has to be a electrical issue and just manual level it which is a pain but doable until we could take it to the repair center for a major check up. It is still there with no word yet as to the problem.

Not sure on the steps.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:47 AM   #8

THOR #5312
Yup it was the yellow flag on the breaker. When I first looked at it, it looked fine. After the earlier post I double checked and sure enough it was out a little. I guess it doesn't take much. Went over a bunch of bumpy roads driving through CA mountains, must have knocked it out while driving

Bizarre that it affected only the stairs and the driver side console.

Thanks for everyone's fast response!
Old 01-19-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
BTC

State: Florida
THOR #15092
how do I post in the forum Problem with step.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #10

THOR #5318
Similar Issue

I had a similar issue. Was the breaker in the battery compartment. Note there is a similar breaker under the hood; however, I do not believe it is connected to the leveling system. Our biggest issue now, is that the leveling system comes on randomly while we are driving. It comes on and immediately starts beeping with the words (emergency retract). I have to reset it and then I can turn it off.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsander5 View Post
I had a similar issue. Was the breaker in the battery compartment. Note there is a similar breaker under the hood; however, I do not believe it is connected to the leveling system. Our biggest issue now, is that the leveling system comes on randomly while we are driving. It comes on and immediately starts beeping with the words (emergency retract). I have to reset it and then I can turn it off.
The chassis battery, through the forward circuit breaker panel (under the drivers left floor, powers the jacks (levelers) control panel. Basically everything that Thor MC put in the stripped chassis in the cab is powered through this fuse panel. The front radio is an exception. This allows the coach to be driven with dead house batteries.

Emergency retract is activated automatically when the emergency brake is released and the ignition is on, if the jack system looses "hold-up" pressure. Modern Level-Up jacks use system pressure to retract the jacks and hold them up. Thus you have a leak in the jack up system.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:18 PM   #12

THOR #5318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The chassis battery, through the forward circuit breaker panel (under the drivers left floor, powers the jacks (levelers) control panel. Basically everything that Thor MC put in the stripped chassis in the cab is powered through this fuse panel. The front radio is an exception. This allows the coach to be driven with dead house batteries.

Emergency retract is activated automatically when the emergency brake is released and the ignition is on, if the jack system looses "hold-up" pressure. Modern Level-Up jacks use system pressure to retract the jacks and hold them up. Thus you have a leak in the jack up system.
So you are saying that the jack system is always on and sensing the hydraulic pressure? So when the pressure falls below a certain threshold, the system comes on and pumps the system back up to hold the jacks in the up position?
Seems like a strange design. I would have thought, that the jacks would be in a "locked - up" position such that if you disconnected the hoses the jacks would not fall.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:41 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, a leaking hydraulic system can potentially allow a leg to start dropping. If this happens, the system is also designed to recognize it, and immediately turn on the panel and use the 'emergency' retraction if the RV is in motion.

having said that, the other day we were making our way back from several days of travel, and suddenly my LCI Level Up panel came on, started it's 'emergency' beeping, and within a few seconds of me even realizing 'what' was making all this noise, it went back off.
I've had this happen maybe once before. It happened after many, many travels and leveling and usage of the system without any issues - just out of the blue, and while driving, sometimes at 60mph ... crazy.
Could it be that a leg was NOT really out of place? I suspect so. I suspect that something else could have triggered this - it's electronics, it's 12v powered, and you can guess that it's not always going to be exactly perfect.
The same thing has happened when I've gotten ready to leave, fired up the coach, but forgot to raise the legs - the system has a built in ability to recognize the situation, and immediately start 'beeping' loudly and bringing up all the legs. This happens if I forget to do this myself, and put the coach into GEAR. There is an interlock between the two that provides this protection.
Interestingly, I sometimes actually find it easier to just do this, rather than going thru the motions of turning ON the Leveling panel, hitting the 'Auto Retract' button, and then turning the system back OFF when it's complete. It'll do it all ITSELF, otherwise!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #14

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTC View Post
how do I post in the forum Problem with step.
Go to Forums at the top of this page. Pick a sub forum that relates to your problem. Click on New Thread.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:06 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsander5 View Post
So you are saying that the jack system is always on and sensing the hydraulic pressure? So when the pressure falls below a certain threshold, the system comes on and pumps the system back up to hold the jacks in the up position?
Seems like a strange design. I would have thought, that the jacks would be in a "locked - up" position such that if you disconnected the hoses the jacks would not fall.
It is all done by three system pressure switches. If you use auto level, the system grounds each jack in a set sequence set by the tilt. The grounding pressure is 300 psi. The system over pressure lock out is 3000 psi. When raising the jacks, the system shuts down when the system pressure is 1,500 psi. Any time the ignition is on, the parking brake is not set, the trans is shifted out of park or neutral, or the system pressure drops below 500 psi the system will go into emergency retract mode. Due to the jack's design there twice as much down force as up force per psi hydraulic pressure. Just to make things there are four red pressure hoses for down pressure and only two yellow hoses for retraction. The LCI Power Pear maintenance course is 66 hours long. Few techs ever attend, but it is all on the internet. <https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/technical-information-sheets/leveling-and-stabilization/kwikee/pg_hydraulic_leveling_troubleshoot_lr.pdf>
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote