Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2021, 02:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Windsport 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #24101
Mostly electrical questions

I bought a used 2017 Windsport 29M. Ford F53 chassis.

Still shaking out just how everything works and nothing too serious going on.

I try and find answers in Thor and component item manuals. Pretty frustrating as everything is 'If your model is equipped' etc.

1: while driving I can't lower the sun shade. Key has to be off to lower it. Will go up no problem. There is a tiny momentary switch hanging down about 6 inches by the left end of the shade roll (like a valet switch on an alarm). Don't know what it is for or if related.

2. My model doesn't have any shades on the cab side windows. Is there after markets available I could add?

3. How can I tell if this F53 chassis has an oil change nag system? The Chevy system on my previous C class was surprisingly accurate. With cost of gas I think it is going to be more of a calendar change than mileage, but just wondering.

4. My coach battery disconnect relay seems bad. It clicks but doesn't disconnect. Still have some tests to try but the relay is quite cheap if thats it.

Has anybody just replaced this with a manual switch? The relay is mounted under the master bed on the front panel of the bed. It would be easy to put a manual rotary disconnect switch in the same location.

I believe this is the replacement relay
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N8NYN2/

And this is the manual switch I would use instead
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WJSYTXP

Thoughts? And Thanks!

Old 07-14-2021, 04:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First, Welcome to the forum.

The front window shade on most coaches will come down about a foot to serve as a sun visor.

Most rigs had shades, blinds, or curtains on the drivers and passengers windows.

No oil change nag system on that model year F53.

I will not comment on the coach disconnect because I am not. there troubleshooting with a multimeter. I will allow you to make your own WAG on that item.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi13605 View Post
I bought a used 2017 Windsport 29M. Ford F53 chassis.

Still shaking out just how everything works and nothing too serious going on.

I try and find answers in Thor and component item manuals. Pretty frustrating as everything is 'If your model is equipped' etc.

1: while driving I can't lower the sun shade. Key has to be off to lower it. Will go up no problem. There is a tiny momentary switch hanging down about 6 inches by the left end of the shade roll (like a valet switch on an alarm). Don't know what it is for or if related.

2. My model doesn't have any shades on the cab side windows. Is there after markets available I could add?

3. How can I tell if this F53 chassis has an oil change nag system? The Chevy system on my previous C class was surprisingly accurate. With cost of gas I think it is going to be more of a calendar change than mileage, but just wondering.

4. My coach battery disconnect relay seems bad. It clicks but doesn't disconnect. Still have some tests to try but the relay is quite cheap if thats it.

Has anybody just replaced this with a manual switch? The relay is mounted under the master bed on the front panel of the bed. It would be easy to put a manual rotary disconnect switch in the same location.

I believe this is the replacement relay
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N8NYN2...ing=UTF8&psc=1

And this is the manual switch I would use instead
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WJSYTXP...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Thoughts? And Thanks!
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:09 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
1 - By design for safety. The little hanging switch is for calibrating the stop locations.

3 - It does, goes off at 5000 miles.

4 - That's unusual. Usually they go bad by clicking and NOT making contact. Yes you can change it to that manual disconnect but realize if you are connected to shore power all the DC loads will still operate even if the battery disconnect is open - powered by the converter.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:30 AM   #4

THOR #24101
Thanks for your welcome & comments.

Yes I feel like the sun shade should come down. I guess I'lll have to tear it apart it seems fishy that a switch is already hanging out.

I have side curtains for privacy on the sides but nothing for side sun shades. I think pull downs on each side would be perfect, but I can't rind anything in the RV accessories market for that
Old 07-14-2021, 04:31 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
1- you need to reset the sun shade for driving (shade will only go down so far) and when parked (shade will go all the way down)

2-no oil change monitor.

3-shades for front windows. I got mine from Steve's Blinds

4-i added a battery cut off switch in the battery compartment. I never use the factory use/store switch

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20170303_180926.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	32051
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:49 AM   #6

THOR #24101
Thanks the blinds look great.

How do I reset the front shade for driving? It won't go down at all while driving. It works fine when parked

I have been leaving it down a foot all the time before I break camp so it is there if I get direct sun in my face.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:06 AM   #7

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi13605 View Post
Thanks the blinds look great.

How do I reset the front shade for driving? It won't go down at all while driving. It works fine when parked

I have been leaving it down a foot all the time before I break camp so it is there if I get direct sun in my face.
By design the front shade will not go completely down with engine running. It’s a safety thing. Don’t mess with it. It’s working the way it’s supposed to. Why would you want it all the way down while driving?
Old 07-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
1- you need to reset the sun shade for driving (shade will only go down so far) and when parked (shade will go all the way down)

2-no oil change monitor.

3-shades for front windows. I got mine from Steve's Blinds

4-i added a battery cut off switch in the battery compartment. I never use the factory use/store switch

JerryAttachment 32051
Looks like your shades don’t fit full width. I think your windows are like mine. Wider at bottom than at top. Looks like you installed reflective stuff on the top section. Velcro. What is behind the rest? Which product did you get from Steve’s?
Old 07-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #9

THOR #24101
Sorry for the mis understanding.

It does not come down at all when driving. In other words it is not working like it is supposed to.

It is actually dangerous the way it is (no sun shade at all)

When I said I leave it down before I drive, I meant at sun shade level, not all the way down.

It will go up while driving it just will not come down at all. I just want to be able to use as a sun shade when needed, as apparently it was designed.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:58 AM   #10

THOR #24101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
1 - By design for safety. The little hanging switch is for calibrating the stop locations.

3 - It does, goes off at 5000 miles.

4 - That's unusual. Usually they go bad by clicking and NOT making contact. Yes you can change it to that manual disconnect but realize if you are connected to shore power all the DC loads will still operate even if the battery disconnect is open - powered by the converter.
Where can I find the calibration instructions? I can't get the little switch to do anything.

Re shore power: Isn't that same whether it is manual switch or relay? Your comment makes me wonder if this will effect coach battery charging (alternator, shore, generator). Does the latching relay get released if external power is supplied or does it still have to be reset (use mode) to charge? Or is charging done with battery isolators and/or diodes?
Old 07-14-2021, 12:51 PM   #11

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Here is the documentation for the night shade.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electric -- Night Shade Programming.pdf (1.18 MB, 59 views)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #12

THOR #24101
Thank you. Thats perfect!

Will try it today!
Old 07-17-2021, 03:25 AM   #13

THOR #24101
Programming sun shade instructions worked perfect! THANK YOU

Took several tries but eventually I got it

They really need a sequence to clear all programming before start, or exit program if you screw up, but really it was fine.

Tags
2017 thor windsport 29m