Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2020, 02:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: New Jersey
THOR #18880
Muffer Support - is this by design/or need to be fixed?

Long story short...my buddy (who's owned an RV for 10+ years - although doesn't claim to be an expert) was camping with us (him and his family in his RV and our family in our RV) and happened to look at my motor muffler and said "looks like it's hanging, your going to need to get a bracket and fix that'...I've done that fix a couple of times...it's easy just go to AutoZone and get a 'kit'"

I've got a 2015 Thor Windsport 34J

Seemed 'OK' for the short term (wasn't close to hitting the ground - seemed secure when I tried to wiggle it), so we kept on camping/traveling...got home and went to AutoZone and bought the support and bracket to mount it to the frame...went under the truck (I'm a buy all the possible tools/parts and return what I don't need type of person) and I couldn't figure out where to mount the bracket...then looking further down the muffler pipe, I could see about 3' (toward the center of the truck) it seemed to have pretty secure mount point.

(picture attached)

So here's my question: in the attached picture you can see at (1) the muffler is attached to a support that's secure to the frame (no issues)....but that seems to be the ONLY support for the muffler (which is maybe fine?)...but at (2) I see another 'bracket' which is where I expected to have to secure it to another part of the vehicle frame, but above it is the sewer connection compartment (grey/black water tank outlets), so it wasn't completely obvious how I would secure a mount. After inspecting it further, I wondered if that bracket was just to secure the two pipes together (it's not one long pipe a ~3" pipe connects to a larger ~4" output) I'm sure I could figure out something, but after looking at it, I wondered if maybe it was unnecessary?

Hoping someone with a similar RV could help clarify if there is an issue that I need to address or if this is 'by design' and everything is OK?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200818_173035.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	25670  

Old 08-20-2020, 03:57 AM   #2

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Here's a pic of mine. And it's not the muffler, it's just part of the exhaust pipe, with the clamped on tip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust pipe (2).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	25672  
Old 08-20-2020, 02:21 PM   #3

THOR #18880
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Here's a pic of mine. And it's not the muffler, it's just part of the exhaust pipe, with the clamped on tip.
Thanks - sorry, I'm not much of a automobile-guy, I've done more with this vehicle (from a DIY maintenance perspective) than any of the 10 or so vehicles I've owned in my lifetime, mostly because there don't seem to be any 'RV repair' places anywhere near me in Northern NJ. Although I'm looking forward to a visit to a 'truck repair' place this afternoon to hopefully get some much needed assistance!

So based on your picture, it appears the same - clamped on tip & exhaust pipe support near the center of the vehicle underside - so looks by design...?
Old 08-20-2020, 05:07 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullywork View Post
(picture attached)
So here's my question: in the attached picture you can see at (1) the muffler is attached to a support that's secure to the frame (no issues)....but that seems to be the ONLY support for the muffler (which is maybe fine?)...but at (2) I see another 'bracket' which is where I expected to have to secure it to another part of the vehicle frame, but above it is the sewer connection compartment (grey/black water tank outlets), so it wasn't completely obvious how I would secure a mount. After inspecting it further, I wondered if that bracket was just to secure the two pipes together (it's not one long pipe a ~3" pipe connects to a larger ~4" output) I'm sure I could figure out something, but after looking at it, I wondered if maybe it was unnecessary?

Hoping someone with a similar RV could help clarify if there is an issue that I need to address or if this is 'by design' and everything is OK?

Thanks in advance!
The V-10 moves around a lot due to the softness of the motor mounts. Evidently Detroit Chassis thinks the one large muffler hanger aft of the muffler is sufficient. The only problem I have is the whole assembly has a resonance at 50 mph in 6th (1,650 rpm) causing the tail pipe to hit the heat shield. As I am seldom at 50 mph, it is no a problem and if I am gong to travel at that speed, I just engage tow/ haul which drops the coach into 5th gear.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The V-10 is a "Weeble": it wobbles; but it never falls down.
Beau is right... they left room in the system; for things to flex a bit.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:35 PM   #6

THOR #18880
Got it! Thanks for the info and clarifying! Appreciate it!
Old 08-20-2020, 10:03 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Muffler bearing fuse housing regulating the pneumatic fluid.
It dims the light in the gas nozzle neck at night so it doesn't blind you.

The clamp in the foreground is just to hold the exhaust extension needed so the stock exhaust pipe will exit outside of the nonstock wider body. I would work as an extra strap hanger if you decide it needs one.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote