Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2019, 05:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 42FK
State: Oklahoma
THOR #12199
Several Issues

We installed a brand new Magnum 2012/20B in April this year. Replacing the old Magnum. Just undid the old one and stuck the new one in. So, on the 10th I took it to RV General to have my Diamond Service done, a maintenance pkg where they just go over the whole coach. Yesterday they said they had it pretty well wrapped up and could come pick up the coach. Then immediately followed by a new phone call telling us our inverter is dead.!!?? The inverter was working fine prior to taking it in to them. we have found No burnt wires, and now outlets don't work, my refrigerator don't work Even when plugged into shore power.

We have checked the breakers they are all good. Slides, jacks work, engine starts, generator starts, AC runs. Sorry I am not to familiar with this stuff, this is the wife. 2012 Tuscany 42FK TIA

Old 06-27-2019, 07:01 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Sounds like a fuse has blown on the Inverter not allowing the current to pass through

Or a circuit breaker on or near the Magnum
Old 06-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
As lwmcguire says.......probably check the inverter fuse for starters. I am surprised your Dealer called you to say the inverter portion was bad and did not at least do a basic check on why it was not working......maybe they hoped you would say fix it so they could charge you more? Are there any indications (power indicator) that you have battery 12vdc on the inverter portion? The inverter portion won’t work if there is no 12vdc from the batteries. Typically Inverters are fused off the coach batteries directly with a high amp fuse (100+ amps depending on the rating of the inverter). If you have a multimeter check if the inverter fuse is good. The fuse “should be” on a coach battery terminal or mounted very close to the batteries, but I don’t know your specific coach. If you measure 12vdc to ground with your meter on both sides of the fuse it is good. I think section 4 of your Mag user manual should have a trouble shooting guide also.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:18 PM   #4

THOR #12199
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
As lwmcguire says.......probably check the inverter fuse for starters. I am surprised your Dealer called you to say the inverter portion was bad and did not at least do a basic check on why it was not working......maybe they hoped you would say fix it so they could charge you more? Are there any indications (power indicator) that you have battery 12vdc on the inverter portion? The inverter portion won’t work if there is no 12vdc from the batteries. Typically Inverters are fused off the coach batteries directly with a high amp fuse (100+ amps depending on the rating of the inverter). If you have a multimeter check if the inverter fuse is good. The fuse “should be” on a coach battery terminal or mounted very close to the batteries, but I don’t know your specific coach. If you measure 12vdc to ground with your meter on both sides of the fuse it is good. I think section 4 of your Mag user manual should have a trouble shooting guide also.

We checked the fuse, and it measure 12.8v but nothing on the inverter panel in the coach still blank and will not seems to be no power to it.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you'll need to help us help you by giving us more details:

- the did new inverter WORK after you installed it

I'm not sure why you would have replaced it, and maybe that's not 'today's' issue, but most of us would like to know, especially since you stated that "I am not familiar with this stuff..."

if you are plugged into Shore power, the Inverter simply provides PASS THRU 120v power to the 'sub-panel' of outlets that it powers - generally the FRIDGE, of course, and probably all the outlets you have in your coach, including the microwave. So, if you are not getting power to those outlets, and you have no breakers tripped in your panel, then you could either:

- have a tripped breaker on the Inverter itself(sometimes just a small 'push button' type)
- have lost the 12v power TO the Inverter, which will cause it to shut off and not operate, and not provide any pass-thru power, either... maybe a loose wire on one of the batteries, or the main battery cable to the Inverter

- it is also possible that you have lost a connection within your ATS(Automatic Transfer Switch), which might mean you have lost one 'side' of your incoming Shore or Gen power, which could be the same 'side' that feeds the Pass-thru 120v power to the Inverter - though in that situation you would probably still have a working Inverter, UNLESS the loss of power at the dealership drove down the batteries so low that now there is not enough to even power the Inverter's remote panel, or the Inverter itself. Inverters want to see 12v of power, and when they don't, they have a point at which they completely shut off.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:58 PM   #6

THOR #12199
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
you'll need to help us help you by giving us more details:

- the did new inverter WORK after you installed it

I'm not sure why you would have replaced it, and maybe that's not 'today's' issue, but most of us would like to know, especially since you stated that "I am not familiar with this stuff..."

if you are plugged into Shore power, the Inverter simply provides PASS THRU 120v power to the 'sub-panel' of outlets that it powers - generally the FRIDGE, of course, and probably all the outlets you have in your coach, including the microwave. So, if you are not getting power to those outlets, and you have no breakers tripped in your panel, then you could either:

- have a tripped breaker on the Inverter itself(sometimes just a small 'push button' type)
- have lost the 12v power TO the Inverter, which will cause it to shut off and not operate, and not provide any pass-thru power, either... maybe a loose wire on one of the batteries, or the main battery cable to the Inverter

- it is also possible that you have lost a connection within your ATS(Automatic Transfer Switch), which might mean you have lost one 'side' of your incoming Shore or Gen power, which could be the same 'side' that feeds the Pass-thru 120v power to the Inverter - though in that situation you would probably still have a working Inverter, UNLESS the loss of power at the dealership drove down the batteries so low that now there is not enough to even power the Inverter's remote panel, or the Inverter itself. Inverters want to see 12v of power, and when they don't, they have a point at which they completely shut off.
The inverter did work after installation, we took a trip to Branson and it worked fine. We replaced it because the old one had burnt wires. We have no burnt wires now.

No power to any outlets in the coach and refrigerator not working. We are currently plugged into 50 amp shore power. Nothing on the GFCI (no light) No breakers tripped. We are getting 12.8 volts on the inverter fuse. Have not tried the reset on inverter, since we are getting 12.8 v do you think we should?.

We charged the batteries for 24 hours, they were pretty low after getting coach back from dealer, they had put it on charge for awhile so the coach would start. I even asked the dealership about the transfer switch, and he said... Maybe?? They never even looked at it! Is there a way to test that? Are they difficult to install? As far as we know this is the original transfer switch that came with the coach. TIA
Old 06-28-2019, 05:56 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyoung View Post
The inverter did work after installation, we took a trip to Branson and it worked fine. We replaced it because the old one had burnt wires. We have no burnt wires now.

No power to any outlets in the coach and refrigerator not working. We are currently plugged into 50 amp shore power. Nothing on the GFCI (no light) No breakers tripped. We are getting 12.8 volts on the inverter fuse. Have not tried the reset on inverter, since we are getting 12.8 v do you think we should?.

We charged the batteries for 24 hours, they were pretty low after getting coach back from dealer, they had put it on charge for awhile so the coach would start. I even asked the dealership about the transfer switch, and he said... Maybe?? They never even looked at it! Is there a way to test that? Are they difficult to install? As far as we know this is the original transfer switch that came with the coach. TIA
Check the voltage across the transfer switch to be sure but it sounds like you should reset the inverter, won't hurt anything and it might just fix the problem