Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2023, 08:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Must clean my solar panels

I guess I need to get on the roof more often and find a good cleaner

The Solar Energy Power Association notes that dirty solar panels can lose 20% of their energy output. The National Renewable Energy Laboratory puts that figure even higher, at 25%. Recent university research has shown that a dirty solar panel can lose 50% of its efficiency compared to a clean solar panel. That’s a lot of potential power you have paid for but are not receiving!

Solar panel manufacturers warn against using chemicals to clean your panels, even vinegar and water, as they will harm the anti-reflective film applied to the top of each solar cell. Without it, the cells would be less efficient, reflecting more light away rather than absorbing it into the silicon. This layer protects the sensor screen beneath it and is made of silicon nitride or titanium oxide. This is the layer to be concerned about when cleaning to improve panel efficiency, not what is underneath it.

Old 04-18-2023, 08:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
I guess I need to get on the roof more often and find a good cleaner

The Solar Energy Power Association notes that dirty solar panels can lose 20% of their energy output. The National Renewable Energy Laboratory puts that figure even higher, at 25%. Recent university research has shown that a dirty solar panel can lose 50% of its efficiency compared to a clean solar panel. That’s a lot of potential power you have paid for but are not receiving!

Solar panel manufacturers warn against using chemicals to clean your panels, even vinegar and water, as they will harm the anti-reflective film applied to the top of each solar cell. Without it, the cells would be less efficient, reflecting more light away rather than absorbing it into the silicon. This layer protects the sensor screen beneath it and is made of silicon nitride or titanium oxide. This is the layer to be concerned about when cleaning to improve panel efficiency, not what is underneath it.
Might help if folks read their owner’s manual and instructions, which a lot of folks tend to do.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:06 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2021 Chateau 28A
State: North Carolina
THOR #23131
On my Victron app I can see how my solar is producing and feel I would be able to see any serious loss of efficiency. Today I hit 1134v and I have a 6x200v system that I rinse off whenever it rains whether they need it or not !
Old 04-18-2023, 10:36 PM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
Lots of discussion on weather to clean or not. When we had our solar system back in Oregon the guy that installed them said leave them alone the rain will take care of them. Now this guy wrote most of the install instructions for the state. When the inspector came out he was adamant you need to clean them monthly. We never did clean them never saw an issue.

Fast forward to the new home in Florida. Everyone is saying they need to be cleaned so we did. Never saw any improvement.

As for the 5th wheel I have cleaned them a could times when hosing off the roof but once again really have not seen much change.

I'm sure others will have different results I'm just not sold that it makes much difference