Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
My 2017 Axis AC compressor is leaking

I was going to post something a month ago but I waited until Ford told me exactly what was wrong before I posted anything.

Back in January I noticed two quarter size puddles under my RV in the storage unit. When I wiped it up with paper towels I saw that it was a very yellow, little to no odor and not very slick like motor oil would be.

I looked under my Axis and the twin I beams were covered and dripping and it had sprayed back on the oil pan for some time.

So I looked around with a flash light and checked all fluids, pumped the brakes etc. Everything looked fine until I saw some fresh drips comming off the AC compressor.

I made an appt at my local Ford dealer this week and dropped it off last WED @ 7 am. But the dealer always had something "more important" to work on for two days (even though I had an appt for WED 8am) so finally at 5:00 pm FRI (Yesterday) they told me what was wrong and that I could pickup my RV while the compressor was on order (Would take 3 days before it arrived).

Luckily my Axis was NOT out of Warrentee (Expires this April / 9005 miles on it) and they qouted me $1384 for the repair job (If it was not covered).

So I will bring her back this coming WED (as long as the part is in).

I will update you all once it done. I sure hope they get this job done right the first time and it lasts longer than 3 years otherwise or I will be very upset.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:39 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I was going to post something a month ago but I waited until Ford told me exactly what was wrong before I posted anything.

Back in January I noticed two quarter size puddles under my RV in the storage unit. When I wiped it up with paper towels I saw that it was a very yellow, little to no odor and not very slick like motor oil would be.

I looked under my Axis and the twin I beams were covered and dripping and it had sprayed back on the oil pan for some time.

So I looked around with a flash light and checked all fluids, pumped the brakes etc. Everything looked fine until I saw some fresh drips comming off the AC compressor.

I made an appt at my local Ford dealer this week and dropped it off last WED @ 7 am. But the dealer always had something "more important" to work on for two days (even though I had an appt for WED 8am) so finally at 5:00 pm FRI (Yesterday) they told me what was wrong and that I could pickup my RV while the compressor was on order (Would take 3 days before it arrived).

Luckily my Axis was NOT out of Warrentee (Expires this April / 9005 miles on it) and they qouted me $1384 for the repair job (If it was not covered).

So I will bring her back this coming WED (as long as the part is in).

I will update you all once it done. I sure hope they get this job done right the first time and it lasts longer than 3 years otherwise or I will be very upset.
Since the AC/HEAT seems to be a mix of FORD and THOR, the A/C compressor is part of the E-450 FORD chassis?
Old 03-02-2020, 01:46 AM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Maybe it's just me but while it was apart I'd have them tell me the price for a vastly upgraded alternator or the dual alternator kit.
Labor has already been done, you'd be in the upgrade for parts only.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:37 AM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Not to change the subject of this thread...

But...
The stock/OEM 120 Amp alternator is minimal.
However, a new Motorcraft 225 Amp will be nearly $500 for the part only. And if Ford is installing, they’ll require Motorcraft.

It’s unfortunate that they undersized the alternator in these rigs (E350/450 = 120 Amp, F53 = 155 Amp)

As discussed in other threads, the future of RV’s is no generators, but rather high output alternators to run the air-conditioner and charge the lithium batteries for a 3000 watt inverter.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:27 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Not to change the subject of this thread...

But...
The stock/OEM 120 Amp alternator is minimal.
However, a new Motorcraft 225 Amp will be nearly $500 for the part only. And if Ford is installing, they’ll require Motorcraft.

It’s unfortunate that they undersized the alternator in these rigs (E350/450 = 120 Amp, F53 = 155 Amp)

As discussed in other threads, the future of RV’s is no generators, but rather high output alternators to run the air-conditioner and charge the lithium batteries for a 3000 watt inverter.
The F-53 chassis has had a 175 amp alternator since 2016. In 2020 the specs read 210 amp std and 240 amps optional
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:08 AM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I'd pay the $500.
I might even go for two of them if the double mount was under $500.
$1500, I sell the onan to recoup some, neaten up the wiring considerably, lose the threat of a carb rebuild, and open up 2x2x4...16cft? of storage where the generator was all while losing 200lbs on the rear end.

The op knows what it costs if Ford wouldn't pay for the repair. If they do pay for it, I can wrangle my mind to go
WOOHOO! FREE UPGRADES!

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:08 AM   #7

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The F-53 chassis has had a 175 amp alternator since 2016. In 2020 the specs read 210 amp std and 240 amps optional
Thanks for clarifying.
However, it’s unfortunate that there doesn’t seem to be a mechanism to “upgrade” alternators from Thor for Vegas/Axis models.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #8

THOR #13362
Back to the failed AC compressor

Very odd that the AC would leak.
I’ve owned 10 Fords throughout my life, and never had an AC leak.
However, 8 of those 10 experienced a failed transmission.
The THOR Forum has not discussed tranny failure on the E450 chassis, so my fingers are crossed that mine will be trouble free (knock on wood!).
Old 03-03-2020, 04:18 AM   #9

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Since the AC/HEAT seems to be a mix of FORD and THOR, the A/C compressor is part of the E-450 FORD chassis?
Yep, all Ford. I think the only thing that is Thor are the duct work in the dash.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 03-03-2020, 04:19 AM   #10

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Maybe it's just me but while it was apart I'd have them tell me the price for a vastly upgraded alternator or the dual alternator kit.
Labor has already been done, you'd be in the upgrade for parts only.
Not a bad Idea but im sure Ford wont pay for that upgrade. Im happy with the way my RV is setup ..... Beside it (Dual Alt or one HD one) will give me a reason to upgrade to a newer RV down the road.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:38 AM   #11

THOR #12231
Repair is complete....All under the Ford Warrantee. I asked if it had a "one year Warrantee on parts and installation" and they replied "Two Years". Thats Awesome.

I was a little bit nervous dropping my RV off....The last time I took my RV to CW (2 years ago) the house battery was dead, everything was dirty inside the RV, and half the work was not done.

I just did a thorough inspection inside and out. Everything looks great! So I crawled under the RV to clean up the oiliy mess this old compressor left under the RV and it was 98% cleaned Already. I was shocked. But a good shocked.

Its colder than it was when I checked two years ago and last summer. My portable vent temp gauge dropped to 40 deg!

While I was in the shop I had them check the front end alinement (first one this RV every had - only 9000 miles on it). The toe in was off slightly.

I made sure the RV was loaded like it would be for a trip (minus the food and Water). I even put about 250# of weight in the bedroom to offset the emtpy water tank.