Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 09:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Quebec
THOR #15335
My 30 amps sparks when plugged in

Hello Forum Members,
I Drive a 2018 24 HL Four Winds and when I plug the power line in a 30 amps or a 15 amps socket it sparks even if the main power switch is off. This cause a little damage to my plug (arching burns small marks in the plug) . I'm not an expert but I do not believe this is normal. I would appreciate some insight on this. Thanks.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:30 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cladouce View Post
Hello Forum Members,

I Drive a 2018 24 HL Four Winds and when I plug the power line in a 30 amps or a 15 amps socket it sparks even if the main power switch is off. This cause a little damage to my plug (arching burns small marks in the plug) . I'm not an expert but I do not believe this is normal. I would appreciate some insight on this. Thanks.

You should always turn the pedestal breaker off before you plug in and then flip it back on to prevent that very thing.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #3

THOR #15335
So it's normal that it sparks if there is power in the pedestal
Old 09-13-2020, 09:38 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
I'd say its not normal. Check the voltage at the pedestal to make sure its ok
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
Old 09-13-2020, 09:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Yes, as soon as connection is made load is drawn by things in your RV like the converter, fridge, or any other AC load that may be on.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 09-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You should not have anything sparking. It may take more checking to find the reason to prevent a fire.

Paul
Old 09-13-2020, 10:22 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’d say it’s not abnormal. If you turn every circuit breaker IN YOUR COACH off before you plug in it probably won’t spark but with the coach trying to draw power (something is “on”) it can do that. Just be sure the pedestal breaker is off when you plug in. Like it says in your owners manual.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:25 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you're plugging in at the pedestal without flipping the breaker to "Off": it's to be expected...

...But don't do it! It's tough on your ELE trial system.
I'd it's sparking with the pedestal breaker off: something is very, very wrong...
Old 09-14-2020, 03:46 AM   #9

State: Arizona
THOR #13228
Normal with our 5r and now our Class C. My home 20a line is always hot (on). I lost 2 converters in our 5r before I learned to turn off the converter at the breakers before plugging in. Slow learner I suppose. The diodes in the converters are easy to blow. Any way to control the connection process (switch/breaker) is preferred, rather than by a hot power line that connects erratically.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #10

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Yes, as soon as connection is made load is drawn by things in your RV like the converter, fridge, or any other AC load that may be on.
OP stated the main power switch is off. Nothing should spark.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #11

THOR #15553
Quote:
Hello Forum Members,
If the main power switch is off, be it the ped or the RV, you should NOT be getting any sparks. Have an electrician look it over. EMS would have a time delay so you would not see any sparks. If you are using an Autoformer and the switch you speak of is the ped switch is on, then you would see sparks. If you see sparkes with switches off you have a load on someplace. I have see 1 MH with an outlet in front of the Transfer Switch for GEN auto start that would cause this condition if the PED switch is on. That is why you need to shut off the ped every time you plug or unplug.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
OP stated the main power switch is off. Nothing should spark.
You're assuming when they said "main power switch is off" they were talking about the 120 VAC input breaker on their breaker panel. They are much more likely referring to their battery disconnect.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 09-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #13

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You're assuming when they said "main power switch is off" they were talking about the 120 VAC input breaker on their breaker panel. They are much more likely referring to their battery disconnect.
Youbarenabsolutly correct. I did not think of that. The electrician in me blocked that out. I hope he comes back and tells us what switch he is talking about.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:43 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's why I specified power at the pedestal...
We just don't know what he is referencing with his statement.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #15

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Exactly!

And while testing make sure that your plug is dead and the ground is good
Quote:
If the main power switch is off, be it the ped or the RV, you should NOT be getting any sparks. Have an electrician look it over. EMS would have a time delay so you would not see any sparks. If you are using an Autoformer and the switch you speak of is the ped switch is on, then you would see sparks. If you see sparkes with switches off you have a load on someplace. I have see 1 MH with an outlet in front of the Transfer Switch for GEN auto start that would cause this condition if the PED switch is on. That is why you need to shut off the ped every time you plug or unplug.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:59 PM   #16

THOR #15335
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I'd say its not normal. Check the voltage at the pedestal to make sure its ok
Hello, I attached a picture of my power switch that is OFF on my coach. When I plug in my RV in the wall plug of the garage (always hot) the plug sparks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200914_165110.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	26126  
Old 09-14-2020, 09:01 PM   #17

THOR #15335
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbleDutch View Post
Normal with our 5r and now our Class C. My home 20a line is always hot (on). I lost 2 converters in our 5r before I learned to turn off the converter at the breakers before plugging in. Slow learner I suppose. The diodes in the converters are easy to blow. Any way to control the connection process (switch/breaker) is preferred, rather than by a hot power line that connects erratically.
So even with the Coach main Power switch off you got sparking when you plugged in a hot power outlet?
Old 09-14-2020, 09:05 PM   #18

THOR #15335
Quote:
Youbarenabsolutly correct. I did not think of that. The electrician in me blocked that out. I hope he comes back and tells us what switch he is talking about.
Hello, I attached a picture of my power switch that is OFF on my coach. When I plug in my RV in the wall plug of the garage (always hot) the plug sparks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200914_165110.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	26127  
Old 09-14-2020, 09:05 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
That switch only disconnects the batteries from the 12 volt fuse panel. It does not isolate the A/C for the coach. Either use the 30 amp circuit breaker under the coach's bed or the house/pedestal circuit breaker to isolate one side of the cable.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:11 PM   #20

THOR #15553
you are turning off the battery. Not the 120 volt system. Turn off the ped breker then plug in. time to go to Youtube and learn about yopur rig.