Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Florida
THOR #6899
Is my Air Conditioner not working properly?

We are the owners of a new Four Winds 31W, this is our first ever motor coach, so will appreciate some feedback from other owners of the same or similar.

We are currently camping in Sarasota and although the outside temperature during the day has not been blisteringly hot, we still want to run the a/c to maintain a comfortable inside temperature.
Typically we set the thermostat to a little under 80 (although it’s difficult to tell with the analog slider) and have the system on cool and the fan on auto high. (see attached photo).

My issue is that with these settings the a/c just keeps running and running continuously. It struggles to get to under 80, even if the outside temperature is only a few degrees higher than inside. (I have a portable weather station which monitors both inside and outside temperatures).

For example yesterday afternoon the outside temperature was 84F, the thermostat was set as in the photo, and the inside temperature would not get below 78F despite the fact that the a/c was running continuously. (it ran for over 2 hours before it finally cut out).

It is blowing out cool air from all the vents, but I do not know if it is blowing enough or it is cold enough?

The thermostat is working OK, even though it does have a lot of hysteresis. If I move the slider way over to the right the a/c cuts out immediately, and vice versa.

So I guess my question is this - Is this unit just underrated for the Florida climate, or should it be performing better than this? I have no way of knowing as this is our first experience with a motor coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3930.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	5223  

Old 06-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #2

THOR #1249
I can't say if your AC is putting out properly or not. You can check and see if the filter needs cleaning or changing. If that is not the problem, you may need to have it checked as it could be several things.
Also, several of us have changed our analog T-Stat out for a digital which keeps the temps more controllable. Below is a link to a direct replacement if you are interested. I highly recommend digital vs analog and it is an easy swap out with how to videos etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Supco-43054-E.../dp/B004OM5R9O

Good luck.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
You need to check the delta t. Using a thermometer read the temp of the air going into the cold air return at the AC then read the temp coming out the register. If the difference is 15 - 20 degrees your system is functioning correctly.

Search the forum for Delta T to learn more.

Most folks base cooling on outside temperature which is a mistake, and I will tell you that when the AC in my coach is not running the inside temp can be 10 to 15 degrees higher than the outside temp.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #4

THOR #6899
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I can't say if your AC is putting out properly or not. You can check and see if the filter needs cleaning or changing. If that is not the problem, you may need to have it checked as it could be several things.
Also, several of us have changed our analog T-Stat out for a digital which keeps the temps more controllable. Below is a link to a direct replacement if you are interested. I highly recommend digital vs analog and it is an easy swap out with how to videos etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Supco-43054-E.../dp/B004OM5R9O

Good luck.
Thank you!
I was going to go this way anyway regardless of what I figure out with the a/c. I checked out the Amazon page. If you have a moment can you direct me to where I can find the how to videos, so I don't screw up with the wiring!
Rich
Old 06-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
One thing I have noticed in different coaches we have had, is because the sun beating down on a parked RV is so intense, and will super heat the interior, the AC has to work virtually as hard when outside temps are in the 80's as when they are in the 90's. Don't underestimate that 'greenhouse' effect, its intense.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #6

THOR #6899
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
You need to check the delta t. Using a thermometer read the temp of the air going into the cold air return at the AC then read the temp coming out the register. If the difference is 15 - 20 degrees your system is functioning correctly.

Search the forum for Delta T to learn more.

Most folks base cooling on outside temperature which is a mistake, and I will tell you that when the AC in my coach is not running the inside temp can be 10 to 15 degrees higher than the outside temp.
Dave,

Thank you so much - I did not know there was so much background until I did as you said and searched Delta T. I was obviously using the wrong search criteria. Learned a lot in the last hour or so about A/C systems! My next two steps will be to get a good temperature probe to check performance, and to replace my analog t/stat with digital.
Really appreciate your input
Old 06-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you have a single AC that may be part of the problem. Another problem is the ducting in a Thor tends to be restrictive to air flow. I am including a picture of a simple mod to get better flow from the AC. On your inside cover there are usually two filters, one on each side under which are four screws that hold the cover on. One end of the AC is intake the other, usually the back, is output. Install the vent in the output end. You can use sheet metal screws since there is no strain, I didn't have any so I used machine screws. Hope this is helpful.

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	5224

Name:	IMG_2046.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	5225
Old 06-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
I had in my Vegas the same analog thermostat that you have in your rv.
It is wildly inaccurate and I replaced it with the one pictured, also from Amazon.
It was simple and was a wire for wire replacement , took about 10 minutes to do.
I have also installed an additional 4"vent that SuperD shows in his thread, that alone makes a huge difference in airflow .
Old 06-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Can't get the page to load but the thermostat is a Coleman 83303362.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #10

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
I have a 31E. Try deflectors in the windows(windshield,driver/passenger). I also just added a backed curtain across the cab to block the cab. This area is a huge source of heat. When I'm in Florida I also put a cover on the outside over the front windshield. Your AC should have and air dump feature which allows more air out faster. We use it during initial cool down and when we are in an out the door. We also added the foam blocks to every over head vent, and have a clip on fan we use to pull heat from the bedroom out to the front. Don't forget your in Florida, heat is one factor, humidity is another. I'm sure the condensate is pouring off you roof. You may also want to play with opening and closing vent to get the air where you need it.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #11

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
http://www.high-end-motorsports.com/...sun-shade.html

Here is where I got my sunshade. Make sure you get the side windows. I left my rear view mirror up, wish I hadn't. If I had it to do over I would have pulled it off and ordered the other visor. Hope it helps.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Richbam,

Welcome to the Forum and RV'ing.
Earlier this Spring we notice the AC struggling to cool the RV. I took it to the shop at Campers inn and they put it in the shop for various checking and testing (2+ hours as they went over it with a fine tooth comb before the final test). The final report says: "Tested for all for 1 hr. at 78 degrees Outside Temp, unit was pulling 9.8 amps, should be 13 amps. Return air temp 79 degrees. Supply Air temp 63 degrees. 16 degree difference, should be at least 20 degrees or more. BAD A/C , Cause Loss of coolant."

The extended warranty was approved and a new unit ordered, we went home and when the unit arrived I drove to the shop and waited on the install...2 hrs (I also had the engine oil changed while I was there).

GREAT Staff and Tech's there at CamperInn!!!

I hope this information can help with your AC problem.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
For those that have installed this thermostat: how does it change fan speed? I don't see any high/low setting.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #14

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by richbam View Post
Thank you!
I was going to go this way anyway regardless of what I figure out with the a/c. I checked out the Amazon page. If you have a moment can you direct me to where I can find the how to videos, so I don't screw up with the wiring!
Rich
Below is the video link. It is a Hunter t-stat, but is for all purposes the same as the Supco. Hunter does not make that model any longer although you may find one on ebay. Attached is a simple wiring diagram-pdfHunter t-stat conversion.pdf conversion also which may help. I have more detailed diagrams if you need them.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #15

Model: Vegas
State: Iowa
THOR #2078
What outside color is your rig? We once had a brown diesel pusher and even with two ac units, it could not cool down (it was a Gulfstream). Our 26 foot Beige Vegas cooled down nicely, and our 32 foot white Chateau is holding its own. We always make home made window insulators for the big windows and that helps too.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #16
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
For those that have installed this thermostat: how does it change fan speed? I don't see any high/low setting.
ColemanMach makes a digital replacement it has the fan speeds and is a simple wire to wire replacement. It took me about 15 minutes to change it out. You can get it on Amazon 83303862 just match the colored wires.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #17

THOR #1249
Forgot to mention that Kev. Yes, Coleman makes a direct replacement for the analog t-stat. It is a little more money, but may be a little easier to install. I think I picked up one of the older Hunters for around $15, so it was a keeper.

We know why Thor did not install the digital.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #18

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I also have a weather station monitoring both indoor/outdoor temps & have found it depends on where I locate the monitor affects the indoor temp, example just moving it from an interior wall to a slide wall will increase the temp by about 5 degrees due to wall thickness, so therefore you'd think the a.c. wasn't cooling properly.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #19

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
ColemanMach makes a digital replacement it has the fan speeds and is a simple wire to wire replacement. It took me about 15 minutes to change it out. You can get it on Amazon 83303862 just match the colored wires.
If you use a Coleman thermostat you will retain the fan speeds, if you use a home thermostat you will only have high fan speed.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #20

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Our coach is the darker combination of colors, plus we haven't done any window tinting yet. I have read that these black windows do not block UV so even though they may look nice they probably do little to help keep the inside cool.

With all of our RVs we expect to be able to have around a 10 degree difference running both airs between the inside and outside. Sometimes if you are parked totally in the shade you can expect a little better performance.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote