Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2018, 08:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
My Atwood furnace problems

I have a 2016 Synergy that started having problems with the Atwood furnace. First off, this model has the solid exterior panel so there is no louver problem there and second, the rig is stored outdoors and the driver's side is facing northwest and broadside to blowing rain/snow. My first discovery was when I kept hearing a repetitive clicking sound in the blower compartment. I could remove the cover and operate the OFF-RESET rocker switch and the clicking would stop for a while.

We just had a major rain event the past few days, and today the same clicking noise started again. I pulled the cover and this time I looked everything over and found water under the control board and a little puddle under the exhaust port. The Red LED on the board blinked in unison with the clicking sound, and there is corrosion all over the board itself. It's obvious that water intrusion is the problem but there are no cracks on the cover so how is water/rain entering? I'll get a new board but does anyone have any advice on where to look and how to fix this? Click image for larger version

Name:	20180211_150017.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	9001

KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Unfortunately, I have had the same problem on my 2026 Axis. I also have the door panel with no louvers and water somehow got by the panel and corroded the board - which I had to replace. In addition, water somehow worked its way down to the flame grate and rusted the holes in the grate shut so that had to be replaced. The mechanics who pulled it apart had no idea how the water got in there. I have a bug screen over the exhaust and they surmised that somehow water was dripping thru the bug screen down the exhaust tube. I haven’t got it back yet - waiting for parts - but I need to take a good look at it to see if there is any remedy.

Anyone else having this issue?
Old 02-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
The fix is that water is getting by the outside trim surrounding the furnace. Seal it and your problem will disappear.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
2 things Atwood came out with a new weather striping and moved the circuit board to the top instead of the bottom or cabinet you can just see if you can raise the existing circuit board higher up from the floor using some rubber bushings my brother did that in his Mirimar and haven't had an issue

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:31 PM   #5

THOR #1765
It has to be either the outside trim or the trim around the panel that surrounds the exhaust pipe. There seems to be space between the exhaust pipe and that trim piece that surrounds it, but the pipe gets pretty hot, so I am not sure what to seal around that with?
Old 02-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #6

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
The fix is that water is getting by the outside trim surrounding the furnace. Seal it and your problem will disappear.
You are right on the money. It is amazing the amount of water that can get thru on the trim. It was be wise to check all of your trim flanges where penetrations occur. I had at least three of them leaking and will re-caulk all of them as time allows. I found that most of mine had a very thin-(almost like it was painted on)- application of some kind of caulk that had hardened and cracked.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:16 AM   #7

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Thank you everyone for the replies and advice. I will look into regasketing or resealing the cover but I need to find a replacement board. I believe my version is the Atwood #38676 so is there a supplier, other than Amazon or eBay that might carry it?

As far as sealing up the opening around angled exhaust pipe is concerned, would a reflective firewall-type material work?

Again, thank y'all so much.
Ed
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:21 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8RXQ View Post
Thank you everyone for the replies and advice. I will look into regasketing or resealing the cover but I need to find a replacement board. I believe my version is the Atwood #38676 so is there a supplier, other than Amazon or eBay that might carry it?

As far as sealing up the opening around angled exhaust pipe is concerned, would a reflective firewall-type material work?

Again, thank y'all so much.
Ed
Call Atwood directly they sent me new gasket and board NC

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:45 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Just ran into this issue after having the RV washed. When I took the cover off, I only see there is a foam pad on the cover itself and no gasket at all. I used a hair dryer to dry up the water. After that the furnace begin functioning normally.

I will give Atwood a call to see if they can send out a gasket. Right now my board is still good, it was just wet this one time.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:25 AM   #10

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I had the heater cover with the upside down louvres. While Atwood and Thor decided what to do, I manufactured a diverter. There are air diverters that are used to redirect the heat from floor registers. I bought the clear plastic one and used a dremel to cut it to size. I wonder if this would work for you guys.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:50 AM   #11

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
I have the same issue with my 2017 ACE. The coach is being stored in my back yard for the winter. I check on it every couple of weeks. A month ago I went into the coach and heard the blower motor for the furnace cycling even though the furnace was off. I opened the cover on the outside of the coach and found the blower running with a small puddle of water surrounding the "reset" switch. I flipped the swith and it stopped. I turned the switch off and left it that way as the winter is far from over here in the Northeast. Guess I'll deal with it more permanantly in the Spring.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I have a 2016 Synergy that started having problems with the Atwood furnace. First off, this model has the solid exterior panel so there is no louver problem there and second, the rig is stored outdoors and the driver's side is facing northwest and broadside to blowing rain/snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Unfortunately, I have had the same problem on my 2026 Axis. I also have the door panel with no louvers and water somehow got by the panel and corroded the board - which I had to replace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
I had the heater cover with the upside down louvres. While Atwood and Thor decided what to do, I manufactured a diverter. There are air diverters that are used to redirect the heat from floor registers. I bought the clear plastic one and used a dremel to cut it to size. I wonder if this would work for you guys.
I don't think so Lucy.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #13

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
I have had the same problem and called Atwood. My unit is still under their two year warranty, so they told me to have my Service Center call them and they will send out a Relocation Kit with a new control board that will reposition the control board to help keep it dry. I'm hoping my kit comes in this week.
BTW, I have the solid door and have put silicone weather strips all around the door to try and keep it dry but I still had problems. It could be that my control board has gotten wet to many times before I did this. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:26 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
I gave Atwood today, they said that using a gasket defies the laws of science. Since the burner needs air for combustion, that there is no gasket available for the furnace.

However, he did say that there is a relocation kit but I would have to go through a service center. As a full timer, it's not exactly convenient to stop by a Camping World unless we plan it out about a month in advance. He would sell the kit to me for $136, which is tempting but I want to check this service center route first.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #15

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Quote:
I have a 2016 Synergy that started having problems with the Atwood furnace. First off, this model has the solid exterior panel so there is no louver problem there and second, the rig is stored outdoors and the driver's side is facing northwest and broadside to blowing rain/snow. My first discovery was when I kept hearing a repetitive clicking sound in the blower compartment. I could remove the cover and operate the OFF-RESET rocker switch and the clicking would stop for a while.

We just had a major rain event the past few days, and today the same clicking noise started again. I pulled the cover and this time I looked everything over and found water under the control board and a little puddle under the exhaust port. The Red LED on the board blinked in unison with the clicking sound, and there is corrosion all over the board itself. It's obvious that water intrusion is the problem but there are no cracks on the cover so how is water/rain entering? I'll get a new board but does anyone have any advice on where to look and how to fix this? Attachment 9001
First I would ensure that the issues are with the control board. Assuming it is, if it is less than 2 years old, Atwood will warranty the parts and labor if you use someone from their service list provided on their website. If out of warranty, I would replace the board with a Dinosaur Electronics 50 pin + replacement board. Warranty is better and is compatible.

Just my 2 cents.....
Old 02-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #16

THOR #1765
When I pulled the cover to the furnace area today I noticed that during the installation process someone apparently cut off the left hand corner of the rubber gasket inside of the furnace cover. (The masking tape covers the hole for the exhaust vent so no critters get in while the furnace is being repaired). That corner (left, bottom from the outside) is where the furnace board is. That’s obviously where at least some of the water is getting in and it is an easy fix. I will also move the board up, if I can. As to whether a gasket around the exhaust pipe will starve the furnace of air for combustion, most RVs have louvers in the furnace cover to let air in. My Axis does not. However the area that the furnace is installed in is large so Thor must believe that enough air gets in there that they don’t need louvers to feed external air. I’ll have to ask my mechanic guys what they think about trying to seal around the exhaust pipe. I dont know if the water that got into the burner area went down the exhaust pipe or ran down the outside of the pipe.
Anyway, I would pull the furnace cover and see what you have. In this case a dollar gasket could save you $125 board and labor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D24681CF-D84B-4779-A91A-88D1FAD54E74.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	9012   Click image for larger version

Name:	DD25F239-BBF2-4151-BE08-C22BA62EDC70.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	9013  

Old 08-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #17

State: Oklahoma
THOR #8223
I'd like to add my voice to this topic to help others.

My wife and I are taking our first big trip tomorrow in our Thor Hurricane 34F. She washed it with a high pressure stream from the garden hose (not a pressure washer), and shortly after she told me there was a clicking sound coming from the coach. I traced it to the furnace (I learned its location on the spot) and pulled the appropriate fuse. That also shut off the A/C. I was stumped. I feared the trip was shot and I'd have to go to the dealer.

After a couple hours--and giving up--I came here to research ATwood furnace problems and found this thread and another similar. I went back out, took the outside cover off the furnace, and saw "shiny" below the circuit board. I ran my finger along it and swore it was wet, but I thought I was engaging in wishful thinking.

Anyway, I got the air compressor, turned the pressure down low (like a can of air for cleaning computer equipment) and blew it out. I swear some droplets hit me in addition to the ladybug carcasses. I looked in the back and saw water droplets! I did some more and got hit with water droplets. I did it a few more seconds then turned the furnace RESET/ON switch back to "ON". Silence. I checked the A/C and it ran fine, and the furnace stayed off.

All I can surmise is that not a lot, but "just enough" water got in under the circuit board to short out some traces. When I blew it out and dried it the problem stopped.

We head to New Mexico first so the heat and dry air should help it dry further.

Thanks to this forum the countdown resumed!
Old 08-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #18

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Check the gasket across the top edge of the furnace compartment cover. On many units it leaks and allows water to fall or drizzel down a wire and wind up with a puddle on and under the circuit board. Mine actually had corrosion and algae growing. Cleaning and drying will usually clear the problem. Stopping the leak with a better gasket would help prevent reoccurrence. Relocating the board can also be done.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #19

State: Oklahoma
THOR #8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerChips View Post
Check the gasket across the top edge of the furnace compartment cover. On many units it leaks and allows water to fall or drizzel down a wire and wind up with a puddle on and under the circuit board. Mine actually had corrosion and algae growing. Cleaning and drying will usually clear the problem. Stopping the leak with a better gasket would help prevent reoccurrence. Relocating the board can also be done.

Definitely projects for post-trip! I’m glad I found it last night. On close inspection of the attached pic it looks like some “extra” under my board as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7744.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	12021
Old 08-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #20

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I’ve had the same issue with my Atwood, plus a few more. Here is a link to my description. Atwood hasn’t been much of a source for parts and they want to only work through authorized service centers.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...irs-13240.html
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote